• Unequivocally Yes ....

The act itself is ending your pain and putting it on those you leave behind. It is actually the most selfish thing I can think of.

Usually when someone end their life it results in complete devastation for their family and close friends. They carry that with them their entire lives and it effects outcomes.

Just because someone is sad beyond repair doesnt make it OK. It selfishness through weakness.

• For all intents and purposes, yes

If suicide is not selfish, it by definition must be selfless, which only makes sense in rather specific and uncommon situations; for example, a diseased man kills himself so as to remove the burden of medical bills for his family. Most of the time, suicide results from some sort of depression, stress, or lack of self-confidence. In these cases, suicide is selfish because you are ending your life for yourself, ie, you are ending the pain of life off of your own self-interest. You do not consider the interests of others when you commit suicide in this case as most of the time suicidal people assume that nobody would care after their passing.
    So yes, by definition, suicide, most of the time, is selfish.

Now I know there is a social stigma against selfishness, but honestly, selfishness usually isn't that bad. Whenever you do something for yourself, you are acting based on your own self interests, and therefore you are acting selfishly. For example, if I buy lunch for myself, I am being selfish, as opposed to if I buy a sandwich for someone else, I am being selfless. Take a step back and consider this before you start raging at me.

• Your only hurting those around you

First of all you think your the only one whose ever felt depressed, or isolated. Heres the truth, everyone goes through depression, its a part of life. Everyone has felt isolated at some point. It's just that they fought through it.

Secondly, you think no one cares about you, but someone does. You think no one will understand, but someone will. You think everyone would better off without you, but they won't. You think no one will notice or care if you disappear, but they will.

So in conclusion I ask, why would you be so selfish as to take the easy way out? All your doing by committing suicide is, hurting those around you who love and care about you. And in the long run this will just create more problems.

• Unequivocally Yes ....

• God's "Gift" is A Farce

Suicide is an inherently irrational phenomena that's tragic consequences fly in the face of our natural tendencies towards self-preservation. Attributing selfishness to suicide has it's historical roots, much of which can be found from a variety of religious traditions that thankfully have been failing to stand against the "test of time". There's a reason why much of the western world has decided to decriminalize suicide and change the language of it's "perpetrators", that is to say people used to "commit" suicide whereas now people are victims of suicide. Blaming these tortured souls whether they chose to take their lives because of a debilitating mental or physical illness (Euthanasia perhaps) is simply not appropriate and in my personal judgment, despicable.

• How is it selfish?

People commit suicide when they are too depressed, alone, or stressed to carry on. Some people who do have been bullied horribly, and they can't stand it. Others have so much self-hate that they can't continue. Desperate people commit suicide, not selfish people. If someone is so sad that they can't stand being alive anymore, and they commit suicide, it is not out of selflessness. It is a desperate attempt to end all of the pain.

• If you really cared you would understand

If someone is going to commit suicide chances are everything in their life is over and that they don't really have anything left chances are they are lonely poeple with no friends/partner of some sort so I mean it is likely they wouldn't hurt anyone and also if you say to just get them help it is a fact that if someone fails to actually kill themselves they will try again and depression is very difficult to treat, and if they even do have someone in their life who likes/loves them they will likely stress in the not that is was not their fault and that it was out of their control or power to help.

• How could it be selfish? It's a last resort.

Suicide is a last resort, not "a cowardly way out". I feel obligated to put my opinion here, because I'm only 15, and I have attempted it and been hospitalized for it. I have been diagnosed with depression, anxiety, ADHD, PTSD, and Asberger's syndrome. I thought I was weak, and couldn't just get over myself, but there's one thing about depression/anxiety that people don't understand: it drains you. Emotionally AND physically. Dealing with all of this was too much for me.
    I tried killing myself because I felt there was no other way to end the pain. I also hated myself and felt like a constant burden to everyone around me. I thought the world would be better without me. I tried to handle it, and couldn't, not for long. In my mind, there was no other way to end it. I thought I would be doing the world a favor by committing suicide. How was I being selfish? I wasn't. No one who commits suicide for reasons like that is selfish.

• Not necessarily, no.

Suicide is, definitively, the act of ending one's life. That is all that suicide must necessarily entail - it is not something that demands a lack of consideration for others. Having said that, I know I am meant to assume that by 'suicide', the question is rather asking whether or not a depressed person is being self-serving and inconsiderate in the act of committing suicide. My answer to that question depends on your preference as far as the definition of 'selfish' goes. Selfish is defined as either 'lacking consideration for others' or being 'chiefly concerned with one's own interests'. Most people who commit suicide do consider the feelings of their loved ones, so in that sense they are not selfish if you go by the first definition. If we go by the second definition, however, even that isn't necessarily true. It's been pointed out time and time again that suicide is not something that depressed people really *want* to do...It is the psychological equivalent of sneezing. It's standing on the windowsill of a window of a burning apartment from twenty stories in the air and asking yourself whether you want to be burned or to fall to your death. Of course you pick the quicker death in that situation - but is it selfish? No, not in my opinion. You can argue that that's a more extreme and inescapable example - but for many people, depression just as real as that fire. As David F. Wallace put it - "You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.” (look up the rest of the quote if you have time; I obviously paraphrased it more or less in this reply)

• The only unbound choice we have,is to live or die.

I do not believe suicide is selfish.

It is a desperate response to end suffering or save oneself from greater suffering. It is also visible in the animal kingdom. (A study on rats, where they would deliberately stop swimming and drown themselves, if they saw no way to escape.)

In the end, it is all about the self presrvation principle but in a warped sense. It is about preserving their dignity.

• Suicide is not a privilege, it is a last resort

Many people suffer from depression and suicidal thoughts at some point in their life, not so many actually go through to the point that they commit suicide. Nobody enjoys feeling suicidal, it takes a lot of pressure and unfortunate circumstances for somebody to commit suicide. If a person is suffering from depression and suicidal thoughts they will think about ways that they can solve their problem without killing themselves, for example they might turn to friends or family for support, or maybe they see a doctor or go to counselling sessions or take up a new hobby to take their mind off the pain they are feeling. But what if they can't turn to family or friends? What if they can't afford to see a doctor or a counsellor? What if they are soon to be made homeless and a hobby is the last thing which will solve their problems? At this point the thought of suicide becomes their preferred option and they kill themselves.
    The people who say that suicide is selfish are usually members of the victim's family, but they should ask themselves why the victim would choose to end their life rather than turn to their family for help. Suicide is never anybody's first choice.

• Yes and No

Being suicidal does not automatically make you a selfish person.
    Being suicidal does not automatically make you a selfless person.
    These prejudgemental absolutes drive me crazy!

Selfish maybe be a reason but there are many other reason, like depression, abuse, and much more. The question "Is suicide selfish." is no different than are humans selfish. We are selfish to varying degrees and it is OK.( depends)

• I wouldn't agree suicide is selfish.

From my perspective, I don't agree that just because someone suicided that doesn't make them selfish. They take suicide as an only answer after being too depressed and unhappy from many certain things and can't get out of it so they want to find a way to end all the pains. It's not their fault from being too stressed and take suicide as an option to end every bad things and memories happened in life.