• That is like asking, is murder wrong?

You have no "right" to murder someone's child, parent, friend, neighbor, or co-worker, even if the person you want to murder is YOU! Your life doesn't truly "belong" to you, it has been loaned to you. You're going to die eventually, why die in a way that hurts so many people? Your job is to leave the world a better place, to try hard to relieve suffering. Suicide makes the world an uglier place. It causes many people to suffer terribly. If you are suffering to the point that you want to die, the right thing to do is to tell someone. You can get help and feel better and take advantage of having life. The wrong thing to do, is to commit suicide.

• This is like asking, is murder wrong?

Suicide creates victims. The person who commits suicide isn't very concerned with the pain that s/he is causing others, but we must consider the survivors to answer this question. It is wrong to hurt others, no matter your excuse or justification. It is wrong to kill someone's child, parent, friend, co-worker, even if the person you kill is you! Also, suicide is contagious. You're depressed (and medications can cause severe depressions) so you kill yourself. Other people figure you knew what you were doing so they kill themselves. If you are contemplating suicide, you are maybe thinking of others who killed themselves. These are people who leave behind terrible suffering for others. Suicide is violent. It is ugly. It is wasteful. It is painful. It leaves behind an ugly legacy. If you are sick and suffering, you can get help. Assistance at the end of life is not the same thing as suicide. Your life belongs to your whole community and all the people who love you. The Buddha spoke of the rivers of thought, feeling, perceptions, form and consciousness that come together in you. You didn't invent your thoughts or your body, they all come to you from the whole world. Your job is to do the best you can to make the world a better place. Suicide makes the world an uglier place for everyone.

• Yes, it is wrong for a person to end his or her life.

We are all given just one life here on earth. We all go through trials and tribulations, and we must use them to grow. There is not one thing in this world that is so bad that death is preferable. God is there to help us through these tribulations, so turning to God is the answer rather than suicide. If you believe otherwise, read the Bible and learn what this world is really about.

• This is what I think

It is just depressing to here that someone would want to do that and why would someone want to do that because we all have some kind of purpose from working at McDonald's to becoming the President, it doesn't matter you are still here to help the world in some way.

• Suicide is the cowards way out

People who commit suicide are just too scared of trying to make it through whatever their situation is, that they think that there is no one who will care if they are gone. People who commit suicide are often treated like they are very brave when really it is the people who struggle through the tough times in life and never give up, they are the people who are brave and deserve respect.

• This is what I think

• Suicide is absolutely wrong in my opinion.

Is it wrong to have suicidal thoughts. No!! There is probably not a person in the world that has not thought about taking their own life at one time or another but to act on those thoughts is wrong. We need to stop telling our children that Suicide is not wrong but an illness. We need to tell them that while you may have those thoughts the act itself is cowardly and extremely selfish. Suicide is someone giving up on life and thinking that the pain that they feel will never pass. Thinking that there is no future. With everyday comes something new. Another challenge, another tragedy, another loss or even a little hope. I am not sure how one cannot consider this act wrong. We tell our children that you should never give up. Suicide is just that giving up. I lost my fiancé just about 12 years ago. After Robin Williams suicide and the media coverage I have been having a very tough time. Asphxiation. The word echoed across a crowded bar from the TV and I have been filled with anger and rage since. My fiance was not a coward and he was far from selfish but that night he was. I want to point out the fact that he was also drunk, out of a job and like myself dealing with bills he couldn't afford. We had a lot going on and most of it not good. That night we had an argument and I left the house. My daughter was asleep in her crib. He took his life in our bedroom with me not home and our daughter left in her crib to fend for herself. He chose to leave us behind. It was his choice to put the twist tie around his neck. If he had chose to walk out the door and not return you would be saying that is wrong leaving all of his responsibilities behind for me to deal with. If there is anyone in your life at all suicide is wrong. You choose to leave the people in your life forever asking WHY? Forever heart broken and all because you chose to give up.

• What's up y'all

No reason. I felt like it. But still suicide is wrong, it totally goes against my morals. I mean if God gave us what we call a blessing- life, why do we take it for granted and show our thanks by killing ourselves, Only God can decide when we die.
    Peace out, y'all!
    Adios amigos! Cho

• Here is my view on this subject

Suicide can be a very touchy subject depending on who you talk to. For some people it's more personal because they've been either almost to that point or knew a friend or even family member that was involved or almost killed them selves. Suicide is a tragic thing that unfortunately seems to have increased in popularity. It's sad that people feel that there is no other way out. I feel that in this day and age people shouldn't have to feel this way anymore. This is also a hard subject to judge because it's hard to say whether it is right or wrong. Personally I am not for it or against it, but I feel like we need to help these people who feel like they have no other way out and depending on the situation they may be afraid to get help or may feel like it isn't available for them. If you know someone who is having issues you should talk to them. You never know, just one act of kindness could save a persons life. If you agree with me please leave a comment!

• Right to choose

How much pain should one person be expected to endure. Some people are much stronger but mental illness is one that drives friends and family away. It is much more painful than many physical illnesses . If you are well mentally the world is yours. If you are not there may only be small pieces to grasp onto only to see slip away.

• There is no wrong

Wrong is subjective. This is of course an opinion question, but I do not feel varying opinions on the definition of "wrong" or what the label should be applied to is particularly relevant. Life is not better than non-life/death. The very concept of "wrong" is strictly a human invention and is subjective. It is also a poor word for classification. Therefore I would say to classify suicide as "wrong" is inaccurate because of the subjectivity of the concept as well as due to the assumption that follows--that things that are wrong "should" not be done. There is no "should" in the absolute sense. Though in my opinion, from a moralistic view, I could not agree more that " It is unethical to force someone to stay alive who never had a choice on whether to be born or not and who does not want to live." Suicide is not "the cowards way out" or a product of fear. Anyone who makes this argument is simply ignorant. This argument makes so many false assumptions. For example, these people presume to know why someone would prefer death over life (wrongly so). I would go as far as to say that these people are more likely to be cowards and simply fear acknowledging the fact that someone could have legitimate cause for suicide because that goes against their world view.

• Empathy is needed

Im so sorry, but empathy is needed here. Anyone who has never had seriously suicidal thoughts has no right to be saying anything on this page. I want to hear "suicide is wrong" only from people that have overcome serious thoughts or even attempted suicide. Thats it other wise you're argument is invalid.

• Its a choice.

There are many things that go into suicide, but overall I think the main reason is being able to cope with pain. There are no ways to judge someone's pain tolerance, and if they snap after something you would easily be able to take, good for you. We all have our own problems, and the fact that someones is different than yours is fine.

• Your choice

I don't think it's wrong. I think it all comes down to where you want to stand in a religious stance. You are not permitted to take your own life. So I would only say this...if you think whatever is so bad to kill yourself over on earth, are you willing to suffer for it for eternity?

• No, suicide is not wrong.

Humans are naturally biased to think that being alive is better than being dead. The truth is that for each individual the answer may be different. Some people have genetics and life experiences which make living life a wonderful thing. For others though the reality of life is much sadder and many wish that they were never born. It is unethical to force someone to stay alive who never had a choice on whether to be born or not and who does not want to live.

• Empathy, sensitivity and respect

As I read all these comments, it becomes more and more clear that there is too much judgement placed on those who are already not in the state of mind to take critism. Possibly encouraging the one thing that so many people believe is wrong (suicide). Someone touched on the part of this topic that is lacking, tremendously. And that would be empathy. To make a judgement on those with suicidal tendancies or even just thoughts is to claim you know everything about the subject and possibly even the person going through it. Right or wrong is irrelevant, the 'why?' is where the focus should be, one person can't know exactly what someone else is going through. Similar experiences yes, this allows some empathy, but true empathy comes from the realization that we can't possibly know what it's like for others to go through life, but instead strive to feel their pain, hate, anguish......Joy, love, hope etc. Do I agree with suicide? No. But I do believe in choice. Without it, we have nothing. With it, we have freedom.

• It's your right

Some view religion as a crutch for those that can't handle the thought there is nothing after death. Don't end your life because GOD will commit your soul to enteral damnation. What a bunch of crap. I certainly respect your right to believe, but using that as a argument is bogus. There are those that have tried anti depressants and therapy and still view the world as a screwed up place. Just look at our choices for presidency. Trump or Clinton. Speaks volumes on how screwed up the USA is at this point in history. If I .Chose to take my life that is my right as a human being. And for those that say it is cowardly and self centered are idiots. It takes enormous courage to take your own life. And it should serve as a warning sign to society that something is wrong with our cultural when suicide rates go up. When I hear of someone committing suicide I do not think of a coward but rather a person that had the courage to say. I'm not going to participate anymore in this screwed up world.

• No One Understands

It is as I stated in the headline, no one can possibly understand what it's like to be suicidal. There are those who do it for attention, but for those who are doing it for themselves are the real victims. The reason anyone would commit suicide is to be rid of the pain and suffering they're currently enduring. You never know the chaos that goes on in a person's mind or the battles they face on a daily basis just to get out of bed in the morning. These people are in constant pain and whats worse is that it never changes, it's always the same. Nobody wants to die, they just don't see any other way out pair that with the inevitability of death by old age, sickness, accident, or murder it really doesn't seem all that bad in comparison. In life things can either go up or down, but from my own experience things only seem to get worse. These people also can't talk about their problems because they either don't want to burden others with their pain or worse yet the people they open up to will say stuff like "Stop whining and complaining, man up." There is no difference between how a cancer patient feels and how a suicidal person feels, they both feel there is no way out. The difference, the cancer patient gets sympathy while the person whose suicidal gets yelled at and criticized. Then the same people who yell and criticize them asks themselves why did they go through with it. It's because they pushed them to that point, it may not have been the main problem, but it did show the suicidal person that no one would understand their problem. So think before you decide to make a judgement call, you never know and never will know what someone else is suffering through. Even the attempt to understand their situation could very well save their lives. So committing suicide is not wrong, pushing someone to the point where they feel death is the only way out is wrong.

• No, it's not

Human instinct is to live, so of course it's only natural to feel like it's wrong; after all, every one of our ancestors survived long enough to reproduce.

If you take a liberal/libertarian view of the world, a life belongs only to the one experiencing it. Even if it is a completely selfish act, a person should, in a free world have the right to end it for any reason. If you have no desire to carry on living, a logical step maybe to end it, like quitting a job you hate, or finishing a book before you get to the end.

Some say it's a selfish and cowardly act, but what could be more selfish than forcing somebody to continue suffering? As for being cowardly, what's wrong with lacking in courage? And if there is something wrong with it, it's one less thing society will have to suffer once that person is gone.

Some say it hurts those who love you. Not everybody has friends and family to care about them, some people have no one. It will cause a lot of pain for the families of those who kill themselves, and is probably the only good argument against committing suicide. But if if they really love them they will accept that this is the decision they have consciously made, and move on.

I can't think of many logical arguments against suicide, it doesn't hurt society (assuming the suicide rate doesn't overtake the birth rate), and it ends a person's pain and suffering.

Posted by: LRC
  • You die anyway

No matter what, you die, no matter the greatful life you have of success or even if you have a great family, youre realistically just waiting to die. It is going to happen no matter what. So therefor there is no point to life. If you think there is then check out whats good and interesting in the world but eventually youll accept it. Only once you accept it then you will understand what I'm talking about.