• It takes away freedeom

Smart and intelligent people do no use profanity. When society craves the degraded, it shows that we have taken away our freedoms, because many people say that it is just the way I am or "it's just human nature." With this, we are becoming objects instead of agents, because we do have the power not to swear. This is why swearing is bad

• Yes, swearing is very rarely, if ever, necessary.

There is entirely too much swearing in today's society. It is not only bad because it's offensive, but it is bad because there are almost always more descriptive words to use. For example, the "f-word" has become so pervasive - especially in movies and online - that it's somewhat meaningless while being offensive at the same time.

People should use swear words, even the milder ones, with great caution. If someone uses swear words frequently and inappropriately, it alerts me to the possibility that the person is poorly educated and cannot think of better words.

• Yes, its very bad

People say its bad to swear at children, but then does age make the difference of who can swear or not? How many businesses would they accept people who swear? Even if you don't show it in public is swearing the only way to say what we want to say? Swearing is swearing no matter how you put it. A lie is a lie. Same with swearing.

Posted by: Go
  • Swearing Does Not Help Anyone

I've always been extremely apposed to swearing in any form. I think it makes one sound uneducated, disrespectful, and classless. That aside, I asked one of my friends whom frequently swears to explain to me what benefit swearing has. She couldn't give me one benefit of it. She finally mustered out that it helps her express her anger, and that was alarming to me. If someone calls you an explicit name, it offends you. So why would you call the other person that, knowing it's an offensive term? There are a lot of drawbacks and absolutely no benefits, so it doesn't make any sense. Our society needs to completely remove it from our language in favor of more classy and a more vast vocabulary.

• Swearing is not Appropriate

Why does everyone support cursing? I don't get it. You know society has labeled it as rude and offensive, so why do people continue to use these words? The truth is, it is rude and offensive. It makes you seem very immature and like a genuinely angry person. Swearing does not make you cool and there are other words to substitute mean words. Of course, people make mistakes, and some words may slip out from time to time. Don't make it a habit of being impolite though.

• Swearing is not okay

Swearing is not okay no matter what because you should treat people the way you would like to be treated because how how would you like it if some one swore at you some people say curse words too look cool but in my opinion it just makes you look immature and out of control , swearing can lead to bullying and bullying can sometimes lead to suicide then what would you do , you would be the bad one you would loose alot of friendships and put on ur record and u will get punished so yeah thats why I think swearing is bad.

• Swearing isn't necessary

It shows you have no control over yourself and makes you look immature. Just think swearing takes your credibility away. It sets a bad example of you and your family. Swearing hurts other people, how would you feel if someone cursed at you. It can also cause people to suicide

• Swearing is bad

Its bad man don't do it hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hih ih ih hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hih ih hih hi hi h hih ih hih hi hi hi ih hi hi hi hi hi hih ih ih hi ih

• Swearing is bad

• Swearing is bad

• No, not at all!

Swears and curses are often considered to be the mark of low breeding and intellectual dead ends. I firmly disagree. While I could just as easily say, "Your behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it." then walk away.. That is not nearly as cathartic as calling someone an (expletive deleted) and telling them where to shove it. The only real question is whether any given situation is the right one for swearing. At a club where someone is refusing to leave you alone? Swear at them. At a library or a dinner? Mind your manners (unless the host is okay with it).

• It's f*cking AMAZING!

I think we can all agree that no words create a better placebo effect for stress relief than words considered taboo by society. Whether you have banged your knee on the coffee table, or you are having tod deal with someone who is quite possibly the biggest idiot you've ever met, there's a few less-than-kind words for that.

• It's just another part of language.

They are only bad words because they are considered bad words by society and portrayed as such. They are just words, and part of our language, in every language.

Sure, they can be shocking, but a lot of other words can be used to shock people. But language is necessary, and swearing is not a bad thing. All words can be used in a negative way, not just swear words. Okay, maybe swearing at a little kid isn't ideal, but nor is using other rude words at them.

Some people say that swearing isn't necessary. In the words of Stephen Fry in response to that particular idea, 'it's not necessary to have coloured socks. It's not necessary for this cushion to be here. But no one ever writes in saying 'I was SHOCKED to see that cushion there! It really wasn't necessary.''

Swearing isn't bad. They're just words, like all other words. It's just in the context people choose to use them in, like with all other words.

• No, not at all!

• No, swearing is covered under free speech!

I completely disagree with this one! Swearing is covered under free speech. Now if the question was, “Is swearing at a child bad?” My answer would then be yes, alas, that is not the question. Another point I would like to make it just because one person considers it swearing, doesn’t mean all people consider it swearing.

• Curse words are neutral, because they can have "good", and "bad" intent.

It isn't wrong to swear, there isn't anything inherently wrong with swearing, there also isn't anything necessarily good about swearing. It's just a way of expressing how you feel. This is a neutral topic, many intelligent people use curse words, so don't bring up the generalization that people who curse are dense or brainless. They can be used with "bad" intent, as well as with good or neutral intent to express a point in a conversation more intensely. Any intelligent person should be able to see my argument and agree or at the very least understand what my point is.
    Edit: it's about the context you say the words that make them good or bad.

• Swearing is not linked to intelligence

A study done ( a college study) tested on a group of wiling volunteers) were asked how often they swear. Then they gave them a series of tests (rubiks cube, tests, trivia, spelling bee etc...) the ones that said they did swear often scored just the same as the ones that didn't swear.

• Swearing is honesty

In today's society, people often censor what they really mean so as to not offend and to be liked by everyone. When you don't tell the truth, you deny someone the ability to grow. And to change the way you act to please everyone is a low status, subservient, self-deprecating way to live. Furthermore, swear words have taken on meanings no other words can fulfil. If you don't swear when you mean to, you're simply being dishonest - you're not stating what you mean.

And so if you think dishonesty is acceptable, feel free to get mad at people when they swear. You're probably unsatisfied with all other aspects of life too - a loser. But you won't face the truth because the truth is 'offensive' (boo hoo). And again, not facing the truth means you'll never grow.

Dignified folks, please be honest with yourself and the people around you and swear when you mean to.

• Swearing is honesty

• What's the difference?

Sh*t is defined as "excrement; feces" on dictionary.Com. Why, then, is it alright to say feces, poop, and crappy, but not shit? They both mean the same thing. And it's socially unacceptable to say "d*mn it" but not "curses," and you can say "screw" but not "f*ck," and "urine" but not "piss." Meanwhile, you can say bugger, which refers to sodomy, or call someone a jerk, which is short for jerkoff, which is in turn a reference to masturbation, yet you can't call someone a female dog or a child born out of wedlock. Some people say that we have so many words that there is no reason to use curses, but as a writer, I refuse to remove a group of words from my vocabulary simply because someone else doesn't like them. Why do we say "reprimanded" when we can just say "scolded?" Why do we say "jubilant" or "ecstatic" instead of simply "happy?" Some people say that you should avoid these words because they're socially unacceptable, and that's that. But we do lots of things that would have been socially unacceptable back in the day. As a society we put far too much stock in what is "acceptable" and "unacceptable" based on other people's standards. Fun fact: dermatologists say that you should really only shower every three days. But no one wants to do that because other people will judge us. You're also supposed to brush your teeth after every meal, but no one does that either for fear of being made fun of. And if I see someone watching the news report on transgendered folks being allowed in the military, and I hear them spit the word "queer" like and insult and I confront them on it, that's just their religion freedom, but if I'm having a conversation with a friend and I drop the f-bomb anyone who wants to jump in and reprimand me is comet elyssa within their rights. Double standards much?