• It takes away freedeom

Smart and intelligent people do no use profanity. When society craves the degraded, it shows that we have taken away our freedoms, because many people say that it is just the way I am or "it's just human nature." With this, we are becoming objects instead of agents, because we do have the power not to swear. This is why swearing is bad

• Yes, swearing is very rarely, if ever, necessary.

There is entirely too much swearing in today's society. It is not only bad because it's offensive, but it is bad because there are almost always more descriptive words to use. For example, the "f-word" has become so pervasive - especially in movies and online - that it's somewhat meaningless while being offensive at the same time.

People should use swear words, even the milder ones, with great caution. If someone uses swear words frequently and inappropriately, it alerts me to the possibility that the person is poorly educated and cannot think of better words.

• Yes, its very bad

People say its bad to swear at children, but then does age make the difference of who can swear or not? How many businesses would they accept people who swear? Even if you don't show it in public is swearing the only way to say what we want to say? Swearing is swearing no matter how you put it. A lie is a lie. Same with swearing.

Posted by: Go
  • Meaning and Suitability

Swear words are not only considered rude, but the words themselves mean very rude things as well. They are used frequently despite their vulgar meanings, and can be considered offensive. The argument that even though society may tell you that they are bad, it doesn't matter because you can be whomever you want, is flawed. Society tells you that murder is bad, so it would be unacceptable to murder and then claim that it is alright because you are being yourself.

• Swearing is bad because

Its extremely rude to say them to other people. If your boss sweared at you, wouldn't you get upset. I bet you wouldn't respect them either. Thats how swearing is ruining society. Everyone is being rude to each other. Plus why say such vulgar words? Its like you're dumping your gift of speech to the ground. Also if you swear you just have a lack of self control to keep your feelings to yourself

• Swearing is bad because

• Yes, there is something wrong with swearing!

Some people argue that swearing is physically good for you, and they're not wrong, but on an ethical or a moral level, swearing is bad for you. Swearing is basically treating the gift of speech like dirt. Also, swearing is completely unnecessary! We could say things in way simpler terms than just using vulgar language! Let me just say that I do respect people's freedom of speech, but I am against using profanity as a whole.

• Swearing doesn't encourage people

Would you be motivated if someone was cursing at you to do something? What if your teachers cussed at you, would you do the work or respect them?
    No one should swear. Young or old, angry or not.
    We shouldn't teach our younger generations to cuss and swear. It doesn't show respect to anyone and shows you don't have a vocab range to express your feelings.

• Swearing is very bad.

It can get you in a lot of trouble. Once, I was mad at my dad and said the S word. That didn't work out well. I ended up having to write a 1,000 word essay about why swearing is bad. That brought me to this website. Also, the Bible is against it. This is why swearing is bad.

• You sound un-intelligent

A swear word is just a replacement of other words that is used in a sentence. When people use swear words, it makes people think they just can't think of another word, meaning they're kinda stupid and don't know how to speak English well enough to think of a better word.

• No, not at all!

Swears and curses are often considered to be the mark of low breeding and intellectual dead ends. I firmly disagree. While I could just as easily say, "Your behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it." then walk away.. That is not nearly as cathartic as calling someone an (expletive deleted) and telling them where to shove it. The only real question is whether any given situation is the right one for swearing. At a club where someone is refusing to leave you alone? Swear at them. At a library or a dinner? Mind your manners (unless the host is okay with it).

• It's f*cking AMAZING!

I think we can all agree that no words create a better placebo effect for stress relief than words considered taboo by society. Whether you have banged your knee on the coffee table, or you are having tod deal with someone who is quite possibly the biggest idiot you've ever met, there's a few less-than-kind words for that.

• It's just another part of language.

They are only bad words because they are considered bad words by society and portrayed as such. They are just words, and part of our language, in every language.

Sure, they can be shocking, but a lot of other words can be used to shock people. But language is necessary, and swearing is not a bad thing. All words can be used in a negative way, not just swear words. Okay, maybe swearing at a little kid isn't ideal, but nor is using other rude words at them.

Some people say that swearing isn't necessary. In the words of Stephen Fry in response to that particular idea, 'it's not necessary to have coloured socks. It's not necessary for this cushion to be here. But no one ever writes in saying 'I was SHOCKED to see that cushion there! It really wasn't necessary.''

Swearing isn't bad. They're just words, like all other words. It's just in the context people choose to use them in, like with all other words.

• No, not at all!

• No, swearing is covered under free speech!

I completely disagree with this one! Swearing is covered under free speech. Now if the question was, “Is swearing at a child bad?” My answer would then be yes, alas, that is not the question. Another point I would like to make it just because one person considers it swearing, doesn’t mean all people consider it swearing.

• Words mean things

Forgive me for stating the obvious but the mere concept of a word being inherently bad or offensive is nothing short of nonsensical. Not everyone finds these words offensive. Not anyone can tell you with exact certainty which words are good or bad. Swear words simply don't exist written in stone. Any word can be a swear word if there is someone that for some reason finds it offensive but we shouldn't think of the words as completely and undeniably offensive. What is really offensive is the context in which they are used. Fuck is just a word, just like stone or water. Someone saying fuck you to someone else is offensive. The word in and of itself holds no objective foulness. Stop blaming words for bad people calling u names and hurting your brittle feelings.

• Words mean things

• Its a sign of maturity

As humans age they become more mature, becoming more mature includes a new vocabulary. When you are young and have to use the bathroom you say "I have to go potty." later in your life, you'll start to say I have to use the restroom. Finally, as an adult, you start to say "I need to take a shit. It's just a matter of maturing.

• No, It actually isn't pointless.

Swearing can add a level of depth to the conversation, one that normal words can't. If swearing didn't exist, one of two things will happen; words like 'Idiot,' or 'Dumb' will start to become swears, or we will start to invent ones that aren't just the 'F' word, we will end up with more racial slurs and insults. You like it or not, even if swearing was eliminated, we're just going to come up with more. The world isn't just going to reform itself to become more flowery for you. Swearing is a form of vent, it can make a statement more aggressive, or more humorous. Contrary to belief, yes, it actually has personality in a conversation. It's not "It just makes you sound stupid!"
    It's a choice to use swears or not, but leave the world be. Not everybody has the same belief as you. If you don't like it when people use words like that, then you need to get it together. Swearing is not the biggest concern in the world. There are horrible things happening out there. Also, eliminating swearing would be unconstitutional. People are allowed to use words. Swears hurt when used in the wrong way, yes, but all words do? Swears aren't the only words that do that, and it wouldn't reduce the amount of hate in the world to remove it.

• They're just ordinary words

Swear words just like any other word can be harmful if used in a certain way. If someone said fuck you, you should go kill yourself, it would obviously cause harm. In this case the swear word fuck is used to shame someone . However if I replace fuck another word that does this for example disgrace. You disgrace,you should go kill your self. Nothing really happens to the overall message,it's still causing harm. Some people may argue that if this is the case than swear words are not necessary but I have to disagree. The only difference between swear words and regular words is that the society deeemed them to be so called "bad words" but why they are just like any other word specifically english. They are based off of or taken from latin or one of the romance languages such as french, has been changed/modified over years. Take for example shit "The word shit entered the modern English language via having been derived from the Old English nouns scite and

the Middle Low German schite, both meaning “dung,” and the Old English noun scitte, meaning “diarrhea.” Our most
    treasured cuss word has been with us a long time, showing up in written works both as a noun and as a verb as far back as the 14th century." https://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/shit.asp So what makes them bad. Well according to Vsause's video why are swear words bad what are considered bad words often change and are moving towards acceptance https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7dQh8u4Hc. Words considered as a swear word today might as well be just another ordinary word in a couple of years and vice versa. Meaning that technically swear words are ordinary words, they're just another part of language.