• It takes away freedeom

Smart and intelligent people do no use profanity. When society craves the degraded, it shows that we have taken away our freedoms, because many people say that it is just the way I am or "it's just human nature." With this, we are becoming objects instead of agents, because we do have the power not to swear. This is why swearing is bad

• Yes, swearing is very rarely, if ever, necessary.

There is entirely too much swearing in today's society. It is not only bad because it's offensive, but it is bad because there are almost always more descriptive words to use. For example, the "f-word" has become so pervasive - especially in movies and online - that it's somewhat meaningless while being offensive at the same time.

People should use swear words, even the milder ones, with great caution. If someone uses swear words frequently and inappropriately, it alerts me to the possibility that the person is poorly educated and cannot think of better words.

• Yes, its very bad

People say its bad to swear at children, but then does age make the difference of who can swear or not? How many businesses would they accept people who swear? Even if you don't show it in public is swearing the only way to say what we want to say? Swearing is swearing no matter how you put it. A lie is a lie. Same with swearing.

Posted by: Go
  • Swearing is very bad? Never do it.

Yes, of course swearing is bad. It is rude and offensive to people. People would think you as being bad, malicious and ungrateful. There is absolutely nothing good about swearing. Some people use it to let out their emotions but hey, JUST TALK IT OUT!!! Others use it to try to be funny, but if you need o swear to be funny, YOU'RE NOT AT ALL FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!

• Keep public spaces "Clean"

Just as people would look askance at you for throwing trash around in public, so throwing dirty words around will raise eyebrows. There is a time and a place for such language, but general use should not be acceptable. Society has labeled such language as rude and offensive, and just like any other unwritten rule, perfection should not be demanded, but you should respect those around you. An expletive used for emphasis is fine, and particularly frustrating circumstances or people may warrant a string of them, but curse words should not be used as adjectives, they diminish opinion of the user, and undermine the weight of what they have to say.

• Swearing Does Not Help Anyone

I've always been extremely apposed to swearing in any form. I think it makes one sound uneducated, disrespectful, and classless. That aside, I asked one of my friends whom frequently swears to explain to me what benefit swearing has. She couldn't give me one benefit of it. She finally mustered out that it helps her express her anger, and that was alarming to me. If someone calls you an explicit name, it offends you. So why would you call the other person that, knowing it's an offensive term? There are a lot of drawbacks and absolutely no benefits, so it doesn't make any sense. Our society needs to completely remove it from our language in favor of more classy and a more vast vocabulary.

• Swearing is not Appropriate

Why does everyone support cursing? I don't get it. You know society has labeled it as rude and offensive, so why do people continue to use these words? The truth is, it is rude and offensive. It makes you seem very immature and like a genuinely angry person. Swearing does not make you cool and there are other words to substitute mean words. Of course, people make mistakes, and some words may slip out from time to time. Don't make it a habit of being impolite though.

• Swearing is not okay

Swearing is not okay no matter what because you should treat people the way you would like to be treated because how how would you like it if some one swore at you some people say curse words too look cool but in my opinion it just makes you look immature and out of control , swearing can lead to bullying and bullying can sometimes lead to suicide then what would you do , you would be the bad one you would loose alot of friendships and put on ur record and u will get punished so yeah thats why I think swearing is bad.

• Swearing isn't necessary

It shows you have no control over yourself and makes you look immature. Just think swearing takes your credibility away. It sets a bad example of you and your family. Swearing hurts other people, how would you feel if someone cursed at you. It can also cause people to suicide

• Swearing is bad

Its bad man don't do it hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hih ih ih hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hi hih ih hih hi hi h hih ih hih hi hi hi ih hi hi hi hi hi hih ih ih hi ih

• No, not at all!

Swears and curses are often considered to be the mark of low breeding and intellectual dead ends. I firmly disagree. While I could just as easily say, "Your behavior is unacceptable and I will not tolerate it." then walk away.. That is not nearly as cathartic as calling someone an (expletive deleted) and telling them where to shove it. The only real question is whether any given situation is the right one for swearing. At a club where someone is refusing to leave you alone? Swear at them. At a library or a dinner? Mind your manners (unless the host is okay with it).

• It's f*cking AMAZING!

I think we can all agree that no words create a better placebo effect for stress relief than words considered taboo by society. Whether you have banged your knee on the coffee table, or you are having tod deal with someone who is quite possibly the biggest idiot you've ever met, there's a few less-than-kind words for that.

• It's just another part of language.

They are only bad words because they are considered bad words by society and portrayed as such. They are just words, and part of our language, in every language.

Sure, they can be shocking, but a lot of other words can be used to shock people. But language is necessary, and swearing is not a bad thing. All words can be used in a negative way, not just swear words. Okay, maybe swearing at a little kid isn't ideal, but nor is using other rude words at them.

Some people say that swearing isn't necessary. In the words of Stephen Fry in response to that particular idea, 'it's not necessary to have coloured socks. It's not necessary for this cushion to be here. But no one ever writes in saying 'I was SHOCKED to see that cushion there! It really wasn't necessary.''

Swearing isn't bad. They're just words, like all other words. It's just in the context people choose to use them in, like with all other words.

• No, not at all!

• No, swearing is covered under free speech!

I completely disagree with this one! Swearing is covered under free speech. Now if the question was, “Is swearing at a child bad?” My answer would then be yes, alas, that is not the question. Another point I would like to make it just because one person considers it swearing, doesn’t mean all people consider it swearing.

• Swearing is just another level of language

It adds more emphasis, for example "i fucking love you" is more effective than "i love you". I don't understand why it's frowned upon, as it is like we have a wonderful world of language to explore, but the most effective are out of bounds. It doesn't make sense. Fuck yeah.

• The idea that swearing is bad for children, adults, or anyone is merely superstitious.

Unfortunately in this response I won't even be able to include any swears, as debate.Org, a website intended to be a harbor for free speech, won't even allow it. How pathetic. I hate being censored.

Anyway, I don't agree that swearing is "bad." Morality is a very subjective idea. And in my opinion, swearing serves as a way to express your ideas in a powerful manner. I don't think this is wrong at all but absolutely necessary in a free society. In fact, our Constitution permits us to express our ideasy freely. It is time we abandon the idea that swearing is wrong. There is absolutely nothing to back up this statement. It is a farce that is furthered by our culture, due to the inner taboos of society, which don't make sense either. It is time we get over our silly superstitions, and this starts with how we raise the next generation.

Children swear and will always swear. They have freedom of speech rights too, and therefore have just as much a right as us. Who are we to tell them that they are not allowed to express their feelings? Yes, there is a time and place for swearing. But kids at a very early age learn that. They also learn that it's bad, so they continue to do it more. See the paradox there?

• Dont be a pussy nigger bitch bumhead rape cunt

Swearing is the best, if you don't like it go rape yourself with a jackhammer you stupid sock monkey puppet cumhead abortion-face fuckdick suckshit trash ass poopy cunt bitch nigger coon slut whore rape pussy vagina ass testicles fatass smack my dick with a brick so it hurts because the holocaust was fake and so was 911 and the moonlanding cunt

• It's religion related. Nothing bad.

I never understood why swearing is considered bad sometimes, until I found out that almost always only believers (mainly christians) don't like it. They always tend to start discussions with arguments about god and the bible... Swearing is mostly not necessary, I think, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. But it is a big problem, if such people try to tell others how to speak. I swear ;-)

• No I don't

Think swearing is a bad thing. Allow me to elaborate. For the longest time I refused to swear. No one took me seriously, or listened to what I had to say. In the adult world, if you don't swear it won't get your feelings across. As soon as I swore, (at the appropriate times I might add) people could tell when I was serious or not. Using a wide vocabulary to come up with better insults isn't as effective. Half the time people won't understand your words and ignore them. Swearing may be unnecessary in itself, but is necessary in the real world. You need swear words to get across what you must. Otherwise people discredit and don't listen to what you say.