• Taxation is fair in general

I use public roads, I breath public air, I use public water, I went to public schools; I used what previous people's tax was used to pay for so I could have. Taxes are not theft. It is an investment and repayment into one's society. Taxation is fair when you as a person enjoy the luxuries of other people paying for taxes that you use. You don't want to pay taxes? Okay, don't breath clean air, don't use public roads, don't go to public schools, don't use ANYTHING created by public funds. Don't vote for elections and don't start wars in the middle east. These things cost money too. Don't use police officers when you're about to get killed & need to be saved, don't use firemen/women when your house is on fire, don't enjoy the museums and public places paid for by taxes. That's the problem with Americans. It's ALWAYS about me me me. There are people starving to death, dehydrating and dying from illnesses; giving up some money from your paycheck doesn't bankrupt you. I make minimum wage and I pay taxes I get paid bi-weekly and I live with a roommate. We both work and we're both fine and paying taxes. I don't understand why Americans so selfish and ignorant to humanity and morals. If you ever get unemployed never collect any money that's from taxes or otherwise a social a program funded by other means then you can have a somewhat valid argument to not think taxing is fair.

• Taxes cover the stuff you're not thinking about:

If I take $1 from you to ensure you've a police force that's better than you having to hire your personal mercenary for $1,000 a month. If I take $1 from you to ensure your children can go to school it's better than you hiring a personal teacher for $700 a month. If I take $1 from you to ensure that you have disaster services it's better than you buying a whole new house in the event of a fire because no one put out a completely manageable fire.

That $1 will feed you when you lose your job. That $1 will help heal you when you are incapacitated. That $1 is supposed to keep you in your old age.

• Since the term taxation is not clearly specified...

Taxation as a concept is fair. It gives the means for the ones in pseudo-power to fulfill their duties. Without taxes, a government would be rendered powerless, and the richest will be financing the government, making it in debt to the rich. In a way, no taxation grants the rich control.
    However, modern taxation is ''unfair'', since it's being abused by the corrupt. And the cops. Especially the cops. They beat the crap outta the tax payers and they get suspended (vacation) with pay. They do nothing, get suspended for doing crap, and still take our money.

• It helps you and your country in the end

Taxation means the government has more money to spend on healthcare, schools, roads and other public things that taxpayers use everyday. Without taxation these things will be in very bad quality, therefore not helping the country or you. With taxation, these things can be improved, making better lives for everyone.

• Taxation is fair, so far it is utilized for public interest only.

Taxation is fair, how do u assume govt. To function without having money to carry out it's operations. This money theoretically is used for people's welfare programs only n for providing facilities to us. So taxation is fair, but whether that money is actually put for this use or not, is all together a different matter n indeed a subjective and controversial one.

• Is Tax Fair?

Fundamentally the idea of tax to pay for beneficial services such as roads, emergency services,education and health care. (Apologies to anyone reading this from the USA). However, what is not fair and absolutely criminal is waste of our tax payer funds. This happens in governments across the world including Australia where I live. If government were to run an efficient system with limited waste then we could have exactly the same quality of services with more money in our pockets. Sounds like idealism in the current world but it should be possible. Only the public can speak up to change things as the governments will carry on wasting our tax money without any action and worse still we will need to continue to pay more tax for less services and be worse off financially!

• How would the country work without tax?

Believe it or not, taxes are there to help us. Everything that the government funds, is funded by tax. Education, healthcare (I know it's different in America, but I'm from Britain where healthcare is mostly free) and other spending is all funded by tax. So where would this money come from without tax? The only way this would work would be to privatize everything. So basically, without tax, everything would be run by businesses, not the government who you voted for. What would be the point of voting and using our freedom if it turned out that the government did nothing but look at the businesses running the world?

• The concept, yes.

First thing to remember, is that we are talking about the concept of taxation, not our current tax structure. We are also not talking about what the tax is being spent on, that is a different conversation for a different time.

There are two main styles of funding for a government (there are more than two, but we'll only look at those two. We will also ignore anarchy because of the roads problem, it is easy enough to refute anarchy on a large scale and that can be done some other time). Those two methods are Taxation and A La Carte.

The best refutation against an A La Carte style of governmental funding is the Free Rider Problem, which is inherent on things such as Defense. You also come across the issue with corruption of justice or lack of justice for the poor (see private arbitration corruption that still goes on).

One can attempt to refute this by arguing that just because taxation being the best option, that does not make it "fair" or "just." Well, that would depend on one's moral code, whether one is utilitarian, normative, or something else. Though we can also just bypass all of that and take the fun, yet lazy semantics route by saying the definition of "fair" is "in accordance with the rules or standards." So long as it is, then it is fair. We then have to say by which "rules or standards" we go by. If we go by the constitution, or by social contract, then it is.

• You Earned That Money

Taxation isn't fair because the money you earned should be spent on the things you want it to be spent on, you could have shed blood, sweat and tears for that money and it could be spent on something you have no interest in investing in. The needy would rely on charity because there's a lot of money spent on charity at the moment so imagine how much more money people would have if they didn't pay tax, s8me of that would go on charity for disabled elderly and so on.

• Cookie said it perfectly.

Earned money should be spent on what you want to spend it on.

Blackkid said that the money you give to the government will help you in your future. Who's to say that anything will even go wrong in my future? What if all the money I give now is for nothing?

Why can't I use my money myself, and IN my future, instead of being forced to give it to someone else?

• The problem is our present taxation system

I would normally say yes but our current system of taxation is incomprehensible. I'm a big supporter of the Fair Tax (You can check it out at Fairtax.Org) Taxation should be understandable to all. The need to pay some one to do your taxes makes no sense and proves that there is a problem with the present system. If we are going to have taxes to benefit all, shouldn't the majority of every one have some skin in the game? Right now close to 50% of the citizens of our country pay 0 taxes, yet benefit from all the taxes paid.

• It could be, but no in most country

Taxation could be fair because each country does need some resources to handle public matters. (For example, roads.) However, the taxation system in most countries is not fair. And that's because it is a progressive tax. Taxation needs to be flat rate tax with a minimum contribution just like there is minimum wage. (Taking US as an example.)

So say flat rate tax is 15% then every working body below retirement age needs to pay 15% of their income in tax with a minimum tax amount = 15%*(full-time minimum wage salary)

People who make more money are already paying more in tax.

• Taxes are not being used fairly

I think that taxes are supposed to be fair. Because I use public roads, and rely on government, and teachers, I should have to pay some taxes. But taxes as currently used are NOT fair. When our hard earned money has been used to take our country further into debt, it is not benefiting our country. Our taxes should be used for better things, things like teachers, safer roads, more sidewalks, things that can be used to benefit society. Because no one in the government seems to identify and address this problem of taxes not being used fairly, we are forced to pay more and more just so we can keep our government running.
    We pay too much tax money to let it all get us deeper into debt.