• The way that they teach it is.

We are taught in school that whites are always racist and that everyone else is the victim of white racism. Barbary pirates taking white slaves to Africa, the fact that whites bought there slaves from blacks and Arabs, the Armenian genocide, the Bataan death march, the Rwandan genocide, the rape of Nanking and all other examples of racism by non-whites don't make it into the curriculum. Being told that you are racist because you are white makes many whites think "If I'm going to be called racist anyway, I might as well tell racist jokes." I would like to mention that Asians are richer than whites, but we are never told about Asian privilege.

• The way racism is taught is incorrect

Teaching racism makes young white males that have never even had a racist thought feel as though they are bad people. The racist curriculum makes it seems as if all white people come from an evil heritage and that white people are an evil scourge on all history including today. The racist curriculum also ignores the positive steps we have taken in civil rights, and acts as if black on any other skin color racism doesn't exist.

• It depends on the age of the child.

My five year old did not notice any difference between him and his friend whom he had previously called his "brother" until Black History Month and the lessons at school about segregation and racism. I feel he was not old enough to understand the reasons behind what happened or the reasons young people should learn about such things. I think it is more appropriate for middle school kids than elementary.

• Depends on the age of the child

History taught to one who is capable of understanding the context is acceptable; however my 5-year-old was introduced to racism and segregation at school this black history month...I was horrified. Previously my child never stopped to think about the differences between his friends' colors and ethnicities--some kids are darker than others; so what? I feel that his innocence was stolen!

• Beating around the bush with the wrong end of the stick.

Constantly perpetuating this notion of difference keeps alive the idea that it seeths just below the surface. Look at societies like the UK where integration happened in a time where reverse discrimination was unheard of. Contrast that with an american culture that seems to almost furiously thrive on the idea that slavery was abolished only a generation ago. How many people actually know anything about that civil war, and why it was really fought? The idea of racism is getting tired, but so long as movies like this Django Unchained are being made, most of the ignorant masses will continue with this B.S. ideology of us vs. them: Racism. The real racism is impovreshment.

• Self-Perpetuating

Yes, teaching kids about racism is a cause of racism. As long as we continue to dwell on the topic of racism and make a huge deal out of it, it will not go away. If we take the focus off of it, and allow the term to fade away naturally, the concept will eventually go away on its own. By teaching kids about racism, we keep it alive in each new generation. We make it a living and continuing issue by the constant attention we give it. It’s time for us to let the term go so the practice of it can be allowed to stop on its own.

• Yes your not born a racist.

To be completely honest when I was younger living in the Netherlands I never heard of black slavery or the history of it at all. When I moved to Canada I started hearing about how bad white people have been treating black people. I felt insecure I'm not going to lie. For some reason reading black history made me feel low about myself. The human race is a competitive race, everyone wants to be better than someone. I believe the education system is reminding black Americans that they are not native to the country and that who're people owned you once and you should fear that they can own you again. Btw I'm a black women proud of it. I'm African, and I LOVE the colour God has blessed me with. People need to open their eyes

• No no no

Teaching racism will always make children think that it is wrong. Children listen to their elders when it comes to situations like this. If a child is being told by a teacher that racism is wrong they will not actively go out of their way to be racist. This is a fact.

• School and society molded my mind to think and to seperate and to classify humans and things in certain ways.

Im not saying im racist. But I can say that because of media I understand what stereotypes are. And that falls into the whole racial talk. To be honest noone in school ever explain who came up with slavery / racism back in the day and the reason for it. They just said it existed which i fond hard to believe. So i cannot point fingers at "whites" for starting it and nor would i hold it against american whites nowadays for that. But i think it all starts with POVERTY. Becomingg slave of the money just to feed your families. But at the end of the day who every in our education system thinks that its okay to teach about seperation and who ever runs the media thinks its okay to make jokes on different races causing subconcious stereotyping ( for any "race") then say its wrong to be racist or to classify people into certain groups is very contrivertial if you ask me. The same person who classifies that gender being one way, and so on.... Im happy i dropped out of high school i can now think for myself and detox my mind with whats been put into .... Think of the world as one and let people be what they want to be and dont judge. Who cares if someone wants to dress femine who cares if things dont go the way your normally expect it to be embrace it and accept it. I find happiness in just that people being themselves and different , who says that the trendy clothes is whats in atyle make your own style ! Svae the earth love each other , bring yourself closer to loving humans and animals and support only what you believe in and most importnantly detox your mind from the world thats been shaped for you!

• Not in all cases, but it can be

When I grew up as a child, I did not even think of anyone being different. I knew everyone looked different but we are all the same. Ever since I learned about racism in elementary school, it caused me to think about different skin colors in different ways than I previously had. When they taught, they kept bringing up how everyone thought everyone with different skin color was different and as a child that sort of builds on you even if they tell you its wrong. I didn't become racist, but I began to see things a little worse off than I thought I should. I didnt think of us all being the same anymore and i started seeing every race as a separate group (I didn't end up seeing any one group as "higher" than another but I can see where racism could start in a young child). With this seed planted in a young child's mind at an early age, they might start agreeing with what they are told is wrong (in this case, racism). It's like if you tell your child not to drink alcohol. They will start to wonder and think about it and eventually crack and try some whereas if you don't tell them it exists, well, they won't know it exists and you can tell them at an older age about it. If I didn't learn about racism until my middle school years, this all wouldn't be a problem with me.

• Education leads to less Racism

With education children become less racist since they can learn about historical events of different cultural. It is critical for them to start learning now so they can grow up not being racist. Kids are not born being racist the fault is the parents by the way the parents their children. With education kids can learn how to defend themselves of stereo types. This will create less violence and stop crating more stereo types. Can make children interact with children from other cultures and they can have new experience and make friends bringing the community closer.

• A a a

A a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• No no no

• They're going to pick it up elsewhere

Kids will notice that some people look different or come from different cultures. They will pick up ideas about race from their friends and from stereotypes they see in the media, as well as any subconscious racism their parents are showing them. If you leave it to chance what they learn, they will accept these things as true. If you talk to them directly you can teach them to be accepting.

• Racism and education

I don't think teaching kids about racism is a cause of racism. The goal is to teach the kids about racism and the how it is a bad effect. We don't teach kids to become against other races. It is the kids thinking that makes them racist. It is their own opinion.

• Kids becoming racism

Teaching kids about racism is not a cause of racism. People influencing kids about being racist or acting that way is the cause not the teaching. If the teacher is favoring one side then that kid is taking that side because that is the way were taught so they don't know the other side.

• How would it?

Teaching children about Racism helps show them Americas harsh past sand how horrible it was and to make sure we stray away from anything like that ever happening again. A famous saying is learn from your mistakes and Slavery was a HUGE mistake that happened but how can people learn from that mistake if they're never taught to not go towards it?

• Racism can only be prevented by education

It is human nature for people to want more for themselves and for their families. This is was spurs competitiveness. However, when competition turns into elitism, than racism is the result. All people need to do to understand this is to read Dr Seuss, "Sneeches" to understand this. By educating our young, we can avoid racism in the future.

• No, teaching them racist things is what does it. Some times in life you have to teach kids that it's wrong.

I Had never had a talk about Racism with my kid till tonight.
    I moved to the south. My husband is military. The school my son attends is primarily black he is 1 of 2 whites children in class we could have moved to an area that had more white people in his school but that isn't something that bothers me.

My son is in the first grade. He came home to me and asked me. " mommy why can't white people and black people be friends? Is it just because we have different skin? Maurice told me "We can't be friends just enemies. Black people and white people can't be friends. Black people are supposed to bully white people. White people killed Jesus"

It is bad parents that taught that to their kid and now I have to explain why that kid is wrong to my son who has never cared about skin color. Sure he has asked why some people have darker skin then him and I told him actually why some people are born with different shades of skin tone etc.
    I don't really think it is necessary to teach about racism till it is. We wouldn't really need to if people weren't teaching others to be racist still.

• Kids learn by trying things.

Children learn things by experimenting. They may start with "yes" and "no" to see what power these two words have. They move on to statements like "blacks are bad" or "whites are bad" but I believe they are feeling out the statement to see if it comes out true or false as judged by the response it gets. Simply saying "no" may not be enough. They need reasonable supporting argument from more experienced fellow beings. Give your views in terms they can understand. Children change their minds by the minute. It's only later in life that opinion is calcified. There is only one "race"....Human!