• The way that they teach it is.

We are taught in school that whites are always racist and that everyone else is the victim of white racism. Barbary pirates taking white slaves to Africa, the fact that whites bought there slaves from blacks and Arabs, the Armenian genocide, the Bataan death march, the Rwandan genocide, the rape of Nanking and all other examples of racism by non-whites don't make it into the curriculum. Being told that you are racist because you are white makes many whites think "If I'm going to be called racist anyway, I might as well tell racist jokes." I would like to mention that Asians are richer than whites, but we are never told about Asian privilege.

• The way racism is taught is incorrect

Teaching racism makes young white males that have never even had a racist thought feel as though they are bad people. The racist curriculum makes it seems as if all white people come from an evil heritage and that white people are an evil scourge on all history including today. The racist curriculum also ignores the positive steps we have taken in civil rights, and acts as if black on any other skin color racism doesn't exist.

• It depends on the age of the child.

My five year old did not notice any difference between him and his friend whom he had previously called his "brother" until Black History Month and the lessons at school about segregation and racism. I feel he was not old enough to understand the reasons behind what happened or the reasons young people should learn about such things. I think it is more appropriate for middle school kids than elementary.

• Depends on the age of the child

History taught to one who is capable of understanding the context is acceptable; however my 5-year-old was introduced to racism and segregation at school this black history month...I was horrified. Previously my child never stopped to think about the differences between his friends' colors and ethnicities--some kids are darker than others; so what? I feel that his innocence was stolen!

• Beating around the bush with the wrong end of the stick.

Constantly perpetuating this notion of difference keeps alive the idea that it seeths just below the surface. Look at societies like the UK where integration happened in a time where reverse discrimination was unheard of. Contrast that with an american culture that seems to almost furiously thrive on the idea that slavery was abolished only a generation ago. How many people actually know anything about that civil war, and why it was really fought? The idea of racism is getting tired, but so long as movies like this Django Unchained are being made, most of the ignorant masses will continue with this B.S. ideology of us vs. them: Racism. The real racism is impovreshment.

• Self-Perpetuating

Yes, teaching kids about racism is a cause of racism. As long as we continue to dwell on the topic of racism and make a huge deal out of it, it will not go away. If we take the focus off of it, and allow the term to fade away naturally, the concept will eventually go away on its own. By teaching kids about racism, we keep it alive in each new generation. We make it a living and continuing issue by the constant attention we give it. It’s time for us to let the term go so the practice of it can be allowed to stop on its own.

• Nothing will die that people won't let die

Teaching racism sets the brain for that "mindset" by default. I think it should not be taught to children. There should be other means of telling children about differences. I just tell my daughter, some people may not like you because your tall, slim,. Pretty, too smart, too large, and that's okay because you can't please everyone. But, when they start to harm or mistreat you that is when it is a problem. Address life accordingly, I think making racism a concern because of history is ridiculous. Let the kids come to you with questions. Racism would not be an everyday concern for it to be a discussion, like bullying or being assertive would be.

• White learner, but who cares.

I was taught about racism. I almost guarantee it. Yes I am white, but while growing up it wan't even something that I realized was a thing, like the same as people with different hair colors. However, I have have nearly completed degrees in journalism and mass communication, political science and sociology, and have experienced a well rounded social science agenda. At the same time, i was born in the 90's. We all know that racism exists in society, especially in older generations. My parents are not racist in the slightest, If no one in school had mentioned it to me I would never had even thought about it. I remember the day that it was talked about in school. I was so confused. I hate racism. I also hate the way it is taught. I wish we would teach it to kids in a different way. The way it is taught now makes the white kids feel systematically privileged, and any other ethic group feel at a systematic disadvantage. This idea then becomes a self-fulfilled prophecy that comes into being .

• No, teaching them racist things is what does it. Some times in life you have to teach kids that it's wrong.

I Had never had a talk about Racism with my kid till tonight.
    I moved to the south. My husband is military. The school my son attends is primarily black he is 1 of 2 whites children in class we could have moved to an area that had more white people in his school but that isn't something that bothers me.

My son is in the first grade. He came home to me and asked me. " mommy why can't white people and black people be friends? Is it just because we have different skin? Maurice told me "We can't be friends just enemies. Black people and white people can't be friends. Black people are supposed to bully white people. White people killed Jesus"

It is bad parents that taught that to their kid and now I have to explain why that kid is wrong to my son who has never cared about skin color. Sure he has asked why some people have darker skin then him and I told him actually why some people are born with different shades of skin tone etc.
    I don't really think it is necessary to teach about racism till it is. We wouldn't really need to if people weren't teaching others to be racist still.

• Kids learn by trying things.

Children learn things by experimenting. They may start with "yes" and "no" to see what power these two words have. They move on to statements like "blacks are bad" or "whites are bad" but I believe they are feeling out the statement to see if it comes out true or false as judged by the response it gets. Simply saying "no" may not be enough. They need reasonable supporting argument from more experienced fellow beings. Give your views in terms they can understand. Children change their minds by the minute. It's only later in life that opinion is calcified. There is only one "race"....Human!

• Age and Context

I don't think teaching kids about racism will make them racist. I do not think children under 6 years old need to learn about racism however. But racism and discrimination is part of my country's history(USA). It is not something that can be, or should be, swept under a rug. I believe in the phrase, "those who do not learn history, are doomed to repeat it". Jim Crow laws kept certain people from doing many things, and those laws similar to it did not fully end until a little over 5 decades ago.

As far as kids under 6 years old goes, I think teaching simple things like being fair to all people is good enough. People come in different shapes, sizes, and colors; and none of those attributes automatically makes someone bad, an individual's actions is what defines them.

• No, teaching it doesn't cause it

Making kids aware that racism exists doesn't automatically translate to them being motivated to be racist. The only teaching that causes racism is a racist environment being the one a child is raised in, there's nothing that indicates simply educating on prejudice is going to end up making a child prejudiced.

• Kids aren't blind.

Grade school kids absorb everything. They are aware of racism even if they don't know the word. They aren't blind either. Children know what color they are and what color their friends are. Talking about racism to children--letting them know what you believe as a parent--is good for them. It lets them know where you stand. They will be less likely to internalize any racist behavior they might have noticed.

• No it, not or it might be

By eaching kids about racism is not racism . One reason is because they would never call a black person names but maybe it could . But in racism the white and black people were separated but now they are not and plus white people could go to school with black .I know people that go to Fordham and alot of blacks go there but they are friends with white people.

• No

Keeping kids ignorant will cause some problems in the future. As a parent it might be easier for you to just save that talk about diversity for another day but really, it's important to inform your children about diversity because people are different. That's obvious. You have to teach them how to not be prejudiced. Acknowledging racism does not make a person racist. It means that person realizes the injustices and differences in our society. “When we ignore discussions of race we also ignore discussions of discrimination, prejudice, and stereotyping.” -David Pilgrim

• No

racism is pure ignorance and hatred. One someone is racist, it is easy manipulate one who can't think for themselves. I can turn racist now and feel hatred for different kinds of races. But i have to remind myself that it is ignorance and just pointless.
    I do think children were aren't intelligent would fall in the trap. I know especially one child i see on youtube, and i doubt she would fall into racism. But seeing her un normal intelligence doesn't really guareentee that she won't turn into a racist.I don't think by teaching kids about the existence of racism is a cause of racism, I believe it's HOW you teach the kids about racism. If you instill your personal ideas about being racist this can influence a child's outlook on racism because a lot of children take on their parents views.

• Racism is...

Teaching kids about racism does not cause kids to be racist. I can understand that some people believe that describing physical and cultural differences in people may help a child become aware of those differences, but it doesn't mean they will be racist. Racism IS taught, but only when derogatory and stereotypical terms are used in differentiation. Differences can be discussed without prejudices.

• Teach Kids About Racism

I believe we should teach our children about racism and what it is. We should also teach them how being racist can cause pain and harm. If we teach the harm racism causes then it teaches our kids not to do it. Teaching our kids right from wrong has always been a good thing.