• It's the advancement of the humans as a species

The singularity event is when we as humans are capable of deciding HOW we evolve and grow. We would be able to make ourselves better physically and mentally and provide a guiding hand to the chaos of evolution. We would be have the very universe at our fingertips and could answer the mysteries that plague us. It is not a question of "if" anymore, but a question of "when".

• Allows Mankind to Advance Farther

I say yes the singularity is a good thing because it allows mankind to advance farther and faster. Our civilization is moving towards a type one civilization or a planetary one and this singularity would rapidly accelerate our progress towards it. Our intelligence would be increased a billion fold and as long as we create friendly AI with these four rules implanted in their brains nothing will happen.
    1. Robots shall never harm humans.
    2. Robots will always accept orders from humans unless they conflict with the first law.
    3. Robots will never enslave mankind.

• It is a good thing

The only arguments I've seen out of the opposing side seems to come from a lack of information, leading to illogical fear. As a species already deeply integrated with technology it is illogical to make a distinction that there is a fine line at which point technology becomes inherently evil. Evil/wrong doings are only byproducts of misinformation, therefor the goal should be to educate and equip people with the right set of tools to be good decision makers rather than oppose technological advancements itself.

• Benefits man-kind, so yes.

If it were possible it agree to it. If we are able to do such things then we can learn more and advance more. Most causes of war would be stopped through our understanding of better survival and success of the human race. People would be more logical and understanding. If humans don't improve other species will and annihilate us. Humans are the top of the food chain and that's where we should stay.

• AI Singularity is Imminent and is Needed

Given our biological limits, and the apparent fact that AIs will eventually be better than us in all field.
    There is nothing we can do to stop that fact. It's all part of evolution.
    Even if a regulation is placed on the creation of AIs. A smart kid is bound to create one privately.
    Instead of being afraid of the imminent. Why not embrace it? It is is our only chance at survival and a better one.
    True AI will happen before 2020. - Nypro.

• Le tip fedora

Robots will one day rise up and take over the world. Where's your "free healthcare" now OBAMA! YOU DICK! My mom once told me that people were the masters of the human race... But what happens when lizard people rise up and BECOME the human race. P.S. Tech stands for technological downfall losers.

• Le tip fedora

• Le tip fedora

• Nice try NSA

• Nice try NSA

• Default answer "No"

I am going to say no not because I think the so-called singularity will be a bad thing, but because I am too unsure of the effects to say with confidence that it will be a good thing.

Certainly much good could come out of it. It could be an entire new leap in human evolution. But just as easily it could be disastrous. With it relying on technology so much, we could be in a position where the rich (who can afford it) reap all the benefits, while the poor fall further behind. And with such an complete integration of the human mind and technology, could new horrors such as computer viruses infecting the mind become a reality?

It's called "The Singularity" because at that point things would have changed so much that we simply can't predict the outcome. And in that uncertainty could lie horrors.

• No, We Might Outsmart Ourselves with Sentient Computers

Most people understand the Singularity as the point at which computers become
    truly sentient. If this time ever comes, it will be a great achievement for computer
    science, but it may not be so wonderful for humans. Should computers out-think us,
    humans would be in danger of losing charge of our own destiny, because brilliant
    computers might be better at making guiding decisions. Possibly, humans would
    eventually hold the status of beloved pets, cared for and cosseted perhaps, but
    hardly looked to for achievements, or even advice.

• Not in this system

No, I am for the singularity and technology in general. I'd like to be as optimistic as Ray Kurzweil...But alas reality shows me that I can't.
    Our economic system, our "leaders", people in power will NEVER give up power willingly.
    This and all technology will only be used to oppress, control and keep them in power. And with this technology they risk becoming...Gods, untouchable, unaccountable and immortal.

A living nightmare, tyrants that never die, that know everything including your thoughts and that are omnipotent. Only the bible came close to such a horrific incarnation of a deity.
    Change society then the singularity cane come, but until then, NO!

• Nice try NSA

• Euhuisfeuhidfhidfhiefihulfhdsiu hiuefhuiwe iuhuih uhil hui

A a aasa sa a a a sa a a a a a aa a a a a a as sa sa a a A AA a a a a za a a a a ds a a a ca ftr tra 5r tera a a a a a a a aa a a a a

• No, we don't need it!

F this time ever comes, it will be a great achievement for computer
    hardly looked to for achievements, or even advice. Give me one ethical reason why we need singularity. Singularity talks about a greater power and intelligence beyond the human mind, which IS GOD BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Having singularity would come with great responsibility, which sadly most of our world does not have. If singularity becomes reality there could be astronomical impacts to out world, and not all for the better. Just remember, singularity will not always be used for good.

• No, we don't need it!

Give me one ethical reason why we need singularity. Singularity talks about a greater power and intelligence beyond the human mind, which IS GOD BELIEVE IT OR NOT. Having singularity would come with great responsibility, which sadly most of our world does not have. If singularity becomes reality there could be astronomical impacts to out world, and not all for the better. Just remember, singularity will not always be used for good.