Is technology responsible for the increasing obesity rates?

• Kids Need to Shut Up

You go into a restaurant with your three year old, she's just screaming her head off and you're incredibly flushed with embarrassment. People stop and stare, and she's just NOT happy - so what's a parent to do? In today's day and age, they give them a tablet or their phone to play games on. When a parent wants downtime, they let their kids play on their consoles for hours at a time. Do they want to go outside anymore? Nope.

• Kids Need to Shut Up

• Laziness in kids

I have a brother that used to be an amazing soccer player. Used to be is the key word. Ever since my parents got him an xbox 360, it has been running his life. If he is even detached from it for more than a week he starts to withdrawl and feel sick. I myself can say that I am addicted to my phone. I don't go outside much in the summer and when and if I do, I have my phone there right with me. I know this doesn't have anything to do with obesity but that is because we are lucky enough to play sports and burn off our calorie intake a day. But technology has affected my brother and I greatly, mentally and physically

• Technology hurts our society

I am recently doing an essay on whether technology helps or hurts our society and I happen to be on the side that it hurts. I would also think that technology is hurting us on this subject because we humans are getting more lazier by the second. Even I am just sitting here typing this argument to you. Why am I even doing this? I do not know, but I believe that technology is hurting us.

• Technology has a lot to do with the obesity of today's generation.

New modern gadgets that are found today are completely responsible for the couch-potato-ness of the children. Today, every child is glued to the plasma TV set his parents gifted him on his 7th birthday instead of being out there in the park, playing football with his friends. As a result, children have turned themselves into useless couch potatoes.

• Who controls us and what do we control?

So you say that it is the humans fault. Maybe it is? But also consider that we control these devices and therefore we can allow them to control our eating habits and sedentary activities via advertising and by generally addicting us to technology. This is how advertising is designed. To get us hooked. Once we are, it leads us into habits that can lead to us becoming lazier. If we are lazier we use technology more which brings us back around again and again. Its a cycle. We control the technology but allow it to control us, making us lazier and fatter and leads us to using our technology more often which makes us lazier and fatter. Etc etc etc...

Does that make any sense in anybody's lazy mind? THE WESTERN WORLD IS GETTING FATTER BEFORE OUR EYES. TECHNOLOGY IS INFILTRATING EVERY ASPECT OF OUR LIVES. DON'T YOU THINK THERE IS A LINK?!

• Obviously it is.

Because its not because of how you use it. Cause when people use technology they automatically think " relaxation time" so you see them sitting watching tv and on facebook (twitter, instagram ect.) and eating and are they burning all those calories? Ha maybe when they type they might lose a calorie haha other then that people become couch potatoes and soon you see them pushing 300-400 pounds after being like 100 somthing to like 340. That is very unhealthy and do you think they have the drive to do any excersising? No. They do not they just want to sit on there ass and eat and play on there devices. #PreachIT

• No exercise causes obesity

Lack of exercise in everyday scenarios has caused many people to become overweight or obese. Statistics have showed that physical activity is a problem. With 21% of Americans not participating in daily activity each and every day. “Lack of physical activity found to be the most significant factor in contributing to childhood obesity” (Medical news). One reason that physical activity can keep people at a healthy weight, is the calories people take in that one day from food and drinks, are then released during physical activity. Another reason is people have to balance their energy in one day. The energy people take in they have to make sure they release in the period of one day. Perhaps if schools were to mandate the amount of physical activity in schools, obesity’s percentages could go down.

• Yes technology is responsible.

People basically have to use technology for their work and school. If you compare people who are construction workers and those who are office workers, the office workers are a lot more obese. Technology is an excuse for exercise. Sure technology is helpful but we cant help but use it excessively.

• No to Technology!!

Obesity is a growing problem in lots of richer countries such as the USA and the UK. Technology is a big impact of weight gain because people decide to play sports as a computer game, where only the hands are involved, instead of actually going outside and playing the sport themselves.

• Obesity is a personal choice.

Honestly, you are asking whether technology is to blame for people being fat? Well that's basically saying guns kill people or beer gets people killed in drunk driving accidents. Its not the technology who killed or got the person fat, its the persons fault. I do not see anyone holding a gun to the persons head saying "do not exercise, be lazy and get fat or you will die."

• Our genetic makeup also contributes to our weight

Over eating and under execerising arent the only contributing factors, how our genetic code is wired up can heavily contribute to how hungry we get, how active we are and how much energy we burn up through everyday tasks. There are many out there who eat well and exercise a lot but still put on weight where as there are others who do no execrise & play computer games all day and dont add to their weight count.

• Human beings, not technology, are responsible for their behavior.

Technology is always meant to be a tool for human productivity, not the replacement for responsible decision making. When it comes to obesity, it's the same. Technology can both help and hinder, but much of the question relies on how "technology" is defined. If you are talking about becoming sedentary, playing computer games or watching TV, then, yes, a role is played. However, it's still the person in question making the decision to not be physically active.

Posted by: MarriedRudy
  • No, because I believe we are just busier than we used to be, and not able to exercise.

More people work longer hours and travel longer for their jobs. Where I work, most people do not live close to work. So, spending time in their car takes away from time they could be working out. Also, people with children have more things they are responsible for, and the time is just not there to exercise.

Posted by: IncandescentEusebio62
  • Technology is not responsible for increasing obesity rates, because over-eating and under-exercising are the actual culprits.

Technology is not responsible for increasing obesity rate. Over-eating and under-exercising are responsible for increasing obesity rates. While it may be more fun for some people to play "World of Warcraft" or watch "Indiana Jones" on their TV, these activities do not cause obesity. Active children and adults who eat a proper diet and lead an active life are not at risk of obesity.

Posted by: jackprague94
  • No, it's how you use it.

It all depends on the person and how he/she uses the technology. If we didn't have technology then how would we have the right medical equipment to save a patient or television if a person watches for one hour and he doesn't eat anything during that time and there is a person that watches for one hour (same as the other) but eats while watching. It's easy to see that person a doesn't become obese but person be may gain a few. It's how the person uses the technology not when he uses it.

• Kids are just fat and lazy.

Technology only is an excuse for kids or adults to run to for the reason why they are obese. It is in fact their fault. They can make the decision to go outside or to the gym and exercise, but they consciously decide to be fat and lazy. 52% of you can't accept responsibility for yourselves or others.

• Technology can have limitations and can help us at the same time.

People eat a lot of fatty foods and drink a lot of sugary drinks, so technology can also help people lose weight, like a treadmill or a bicycle machine or a computer, so some people can understand how to lose weight in an appropriate way and what type of diet is appropriate for our age and how active we are daily.

• It can help too!

Although technology had a small part in increasing obesity, it can decrease it! Scientists are inventing things such as pedometers and more! The main reasons are bad food patterns, laziness, physical inactivity, genetic patterns and more! But technology isn't the main reason! I hope I helped, but at the end, this is my opinion. :)

• People are to blame.

Google fitdesk, 'nuff said. Alas that is not enough. Fortunately, there is more! There are entire workstations built around treadmills. I am getting one for christmas to correct the damage technology has done to me- but still pursue it.

The fitdesk I seek is $249 and is a stationary bike with a laptop desk. A stationary bike is a perfect solution for a programmer or gamer or anyone who needs their upper body steady while typing.

Some technology is portable and wearable. I would vote yes if the question were specific to people who are not smart enough to integrate some sort of exercise into their technological workspace. A treadmill might be awkward at the office- but a fitdesk would be perfect. Aside from that, if you cannot manage to workout between sessions, your productivity on a computer and career choice may be the true problem.