Is technology responsible for the increasing obesity rates?

• I like pizza

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaa a a a a a a a a a a aa a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a a

• Technology Leads to Obesity

Technology leads to obesity as people who use it miss out on time to do physical activity which is essential to maintain a healthy body. By spending your spare time on technology it eliminates any engagement in physical activity. Ultimately through not exercising you become lazy and dont feel like or wanting to exercise anyway because it is easier to sit down and play a game or surf the internet. But this is how technology causes obesity. If there was no technology people would be obliges to go outside to do something for their means of entertainment instead of staring at a screen for hours.

• People get bullied

I go on to ask.Fm every day. I log on and on my homepage someone is getting bullied for being who they are. I know i get told bad things. (I know you can delete your account) getting told to harm yourself will put you in a depressing not making you want to leave the house and just sit inside. So i truly believe that technology can have the power to make us fat

• It is not technologies fault, and their are other real causes

Saying technology causes obesity is such a non thought out statement. It is the human that gets obesity by his/her actions. Technology, I'll admit makes doing other things tougher, because it is addicting. However science has proven that expose to technology still does not correlate to obesity, because lets be honest humans cant be using technology 24-7. Also people still use technology and are not obesity, I see this everyday and all the viewers that commented YES .The real cause is poor choices and consumption of unhealthy foods. Technology is not a cause, and even though it does strain peoples time they still statistical are not becoming fat.

• Kids Need to Shut Up

You go into a restaurant with your three year old, she's just screaming her head off and you're incredibly flushed with embarrassment. People stop and stare, and she's just NOT happy - so what's a parent to do? In today's day and age, they give them a tablet or their phone to play games on. When a parent wants downtime, they let their kids play on their consoles for hours at a time. Do they want to go outside anymore? Nope.

• Kids Need to Shut Up

• Laziness in kids

I have a brother that used to be an amazing soccer player. Used to be is the key word. Ever since my parents got him an xbox 360, it has been running his life. If he is even detached from it for more than a week he starts to withdrawl and feel sick. I myself can say that I am addicted to my phone. I don't go outside much in the summer and when and if I do, I have my phone there right with me. I know this doesn't have anything to do with obesity but that is because we are lucky enough to play sports and burn off our calorie intake a day. But technology has affected my brother and I greatly, mentally and physically

• Technology hurts our society

I am recently doing an essay on whether technology helps or hurts our society and I happen to be on the side that it hurts. I would also think that technology is hurting us on this subject because we humans are getting more lazier by the second. Even I am just sitting here typing this argument to you. Why am I even doing this? I do not know, but I believe that technology is hurting us.

• Technology has a lot to do with the obesity of today's generation.

New modern gadgets that are found today are completely responsible for the couch-potato-ness of the children. Today, every child is glued to the plasma TV set his parents gifted him on his 7th birthday instead of being out there in the park, playing football with his friends. As a result, children have turned themselves into useless couch potatoes.

• Who controls us and what do we control?

So you say that it is the humans fault. Maybe it is? But also consider that we control these devices and therefore we can allow them to control our eating habits and sedentary activities via advertising and by generally addicting us to technology. This is how advertising is designed. To get us hooked. Once we are, it leads us into habits that can lead to us becoming lazier. If we are lazier we use technology more which brings us back around again and again. Its a cycle. We control the technology but allow it to control us, making us lazier and fatter and leads us to using our technology more often which makes us lazier and fatter. Etc etc etc...

• Obesity is a personal choice.

Honestly, you are asking whether technology is to blame for people being fat? Well that's basically saying guns kill people or beer gets people killed in drunk driving accidents. Its not the technology who killed or got the person fat, its the persons fault. I do not see anyone holding a gun to the persons head saying "do not exercise, be lazy and get fat or you will die."

• Our genetic makeup also contributes to our weight

Over eating and under execerising arent the only contributing factors, how our genetic code is wired up can heavily contribute to how hungry we get, how active we are and how much energy we burn up through everyday tasks. There are many out there who eat well and exercise a lot but still put on weight where as there are others who do no execrise & play computer games all day and dont add to their weight count.

• Human beings, not technology, are responsible for their behavior.

Technology is always meant to be a tool for human productivity, not the replacement for responsible decision making. When it comes to obesity, it's the same. Technology can both help and hinder, but much of the question relies on how "technology" is defined. If you are talking about becoming sedentary, playing computer games or watching TV, then, yes, a role is played. However, it's still the person in question making the decision to not be physically active.

Posted by: MarriedRudy
  • No, because I believe we are just busier than we used to be, and not able to exercise.

More people work longer hours and travel longer for their jobs. Where I work, most people do not live close to work. So, spending time in their car takes away from time they could be working out. Also, people with children have more things they are responsible for, and the time is just not there to exercise.

Posted by: IncandescentEusebio62
  • Technology is not responsible for increasing obesity rates, because over-eating and under-exercising are the actual culprits.

Technology is not responsible for increasing obesity rate. Over-eating and under-exercising are responsible for increasing obesity rates. While it may be more fun for some people to play "World of Warcraft" or watch "Indiana Jones" on their TV, these activities do not cause obesity. Active children and adults who eat a proper diet and lead an active life are not at risk of obesity.

Posted by: jackprague94
  • No, it's how you use it.

It all depends on the person and how he/she uses the technology. If we didn't have technology then how would we have the right medical equipment to save a patient or television if a person watches for one hour and he doesn't eat anything during that time and there is a person that watches for one hour (same as the other) but eats while watching. It's easy to see that person a doesn't become obese but person be may gain a few. It's how the person uses the technology not when he uses it.

• Kids are just fat and lazy.

Technology only is an excuse for kids or adults to run to for the reason why they are obese. It is in fact their fault. They can make the decision to go outside or to the gym and exercise, but they consciously decide to be fat and lazy. 52% of you can't accept responsibility for yourselves or others.

• Technology can have limitations and can help us at the same time.

People eat a lot of fatty foods and drink a lot of sugary drinks, so technology can also help people lose weight, like a treadmill or a bicycle machine or a computer, so some people can understand how to lose weight in an appropriate way and what type of diet is appropriate for our age and how active we are daily.

• It can help too!

Although technology had a small part in increasing obesity, it can decrease it! Scientists are inventing things such as pedometers and more! The main reasons are bad food patterns, laziness, physical inactivity, genetic patterns and more! But technology isn't the main reason! I hope I helped, but at the end, this is my opinion. :)

• People are to blame.

Google fitdesk, 'nuff said. Alas that is not enough. Fortunately, there is more! There are entire workstations built around treadmills. I am getting one for christmas to correct the damage technology has done to me- but still pursue it.

The fitdesk I seek is $249 and is a stationary bike with a laptop desk. A stationary bike is a perfect solution for a programmer or gamer or anyone who needs their upper body steady while typing.

Some technology is portable and wearable. I would vote yes if the question were specific to people who are not smart enough to integrate some sort of exercise into their technological workspace. A treadmill might be awkward at the office- but a fitdesk would be perfect. Aside from that, if you cannot manage to workout between sessions, your productivity on a computer and career choice may be the true problem.