Is Texas Governor Rick Perry correct in criticizing President Barack Obama's decision not to visit the border facilities housing the many South American children that are trying to obtain entrance to the United States?

• Yes, Obama ought to visit the facilities.

The children that have fled the warfare and gang violence of Mexico and Central America to try to find a new life in America deserve the help we can afford to give. As Americans it is our duty to protect innocent people from around the world if they are in need of refuge from criminals and terrorists. Obama should visit the facility, and use the opportunity to outline a plan for giving this children the chance at life they deserve.

• Yes, he is.

If I was Rick Perry I would feel very disappointed that I had the president in my state visiting during a crisis and I couldn't get him to actually visit the site of the crisis to see the problem himself. This is akin to George Bush not visiting the Hurricane Katrina sites.

• Yes, Obama should see first hand

Barack Obama should absolutely visit these facilities, and see first hand the lives impacted by his decision making. Once immigrants are seen as real lives with real stories (especially children), it becomes much more difficult to push immigration problems under the rug. These children's futures are in his hands, and they deserve to be seen.

• Yes, first-hand experience is useful when making overriding decisions.

Getting to the front lines of a major human crisis is important when making decisions that affect those involved. Immigration is reaching a climax for both the aspiring immigrants and locals in Texas. A visit from the president would have been well-received on both sides, and it would have helped the president in making political decisions.