Is the 9/11 Commission Report's credibility damaged by the U.S.'s use of torture?

• Torture is Illegal

The use of torture to gain intelligence is illegal under the Geneva Convention. The United States didn't need torture to locate Osama bin Laden in Pakistan. Even if the military did use torture on Gitmo detainees, their intel was worthless as it didn't directly lead to the death of bin Laden at the hands of U.S. Navy SEALs.

• Torture taints the report.

I think that the 9/11 commission report might be tainted by the use of torture by United States government officials. I don't think that it throws it into complete doubt, but there has to be a bit of tainted honor attached to it. The US should not be known for torture.

• The 9/11 Commission Report's credibility damaged by the U.S.'s use of torture.

The 9/11 Commission Report's credibility damaged by the U.S.'s use of torture. We should refrain from the torture tactics that we use. I do not think waterboarding or anything else is a good way to get these criminals to comply with us. I think it hurt our credibility badly when we started using these dangerous methods.

• The 9/11 commission report's credibility is damaged by the U.S.'s use of torture

The 9/11 Commission Report's credibility is damaged by the U.S.'s use of torture. This is because torture is a crime against humanity. The U.S. made it clear that they would not engage in crimes against humanity, and yet they still did. This damages the credibility of the 9/11 commission report.

• Yes, it was, we are supposed to be a country of freedom.

I think it is fair to say that the credibility of the United States and its standing in the world was very much damaged by the revelation that we sanctioned and employed the use of torture after the events of September 11th. We are supposed to be a country of freedom.

• I think torture has damaged the credibility has been damaged.

I think the 9/11 terrorism was horrendous. I am from New York, and I watched the towers being built. I lost friends and family from the attack and I myself would love to make those responsible suffer. That being said, the government should never abuse their power and torture another "person." It is unacceptable and diminishes the credibility of our people.

• I think you guys forget...

That it doesn't matter if they tortured or not in respect to credibility. Information is information, and whether you have to crack the nut to get it or not, it's still just that. Information, plain and simple. But torture itself is pretty bad and we shouldn't resort to it unless 100% necessary.

WUN HUNDRD PARCENT

• No, it is not

While the use of torture is indeed a very controversial issue and even supporters of the practice often take issue with aspects of it, I don't think any of that makes the Commission Report any less of a credible piece of data. It doesn't undermine what is present within the document, no matter how unpleasant the means of obtaining some parts of it are.

• No, the credibility was not damaged.

If history has shown us, including the recent capture and death of Osama Bin Laden, is that torture is needed to extract answers. Without torture the capture of Osama Bin Laden would have never happened. So credibility of the commission report is not damaged because torture can is a useful tool to combat terrorism.

• No, it isn't

While there is certainly a lot of debate regarding what forms of torture the US has utilized and which ones are acceptable given the situation, I don't think the agreed upon answers for those topics diminish the significance or accuracy of what has been reported y the 9/11 Commission's report.