• The school system is the same as the one my great grandparents used when they were in high school.

Even the teachers are fed up with it. Inadequate teachers have little incentive to go that extra mile because of their excessive job security endowed by Unions and Tenure Laws. We as human beings have a future and brand new goals and hobbies that now offer jobs but we teach the same old things. So how are we supposed to make the future better if we are stuck in the past.

• Yes, at least before the college seens a total failure to me

I am Brazilian and I studied 90% of my life in Brazil, but I studied a year in a high school in the US. The cultural shock was enormous, the school calendar repeats itself in 2 days, not in a week as I was accustomed, and this is due to an immense lack of subjects, in my sophomore year, I studied only geometry, English, science of land, US history, health / physical education, and drama. In Brazil I had to master mathematics (algebra, geometry and calculus), Portuguese, English, literature, history (Brazilian and the world), geography (study of maps and characteristics of the climate, soil, relief and vegetation of the world, and geopolitics) , philosophy, sociology, arts (as a science and not playing as an artist), biology (human, vegetable, bacterial, protozoan, and fungi, besides studying ecosystems), chemistry, physics, and writing classes. Generally speaking, the vast majority of Brazilian high school students are as ignorant as most Americans are, but private school students in Brazil are better than Americans. Although when it comes to universities the US shines

• It Wastes Your Life Learning The Same Thing Over And Over

The only things you need are learned from Kindergarten to the end of (American) Middleschool by that point your grasp on the subjects is enough to allow you to go into what job YOU want. You learn all this USELESS crap and what you actually want is but a small bit of all that life wasting insanity. Such words describe such a place perfectly... Life wasting insanity. You go in and out every single day, learn something you know is worth about as much as having iron as a material in a woodshop and finally you leave only to wake up early in the morning to restart the tedious process all over again.

• Highschool did me no good and I gave up as a junior

I agree with the guy who said school is but curriculum isn't. You should definetly learn the basics but after middleschool you already have a decent grasp of math history science etc. at this point you should be able to choose what you want to pursue not be forced to waste some of the best most absorbable years of your life going to school all day and doing homework that takes forever on subjects that are likely 100% irrelevant to the rest of your life. Study's show that testing is a joke teachers are paid for test results and kids forget 90% of what's on a test within days. American schools were LITERALY designed to create mindless obedient factory/cubicle workers.I dropped out and I spent time traveling and enjoying myself and those first few years after school I would never give them up for anything I gave myself a chance to live and you know what? I'm 22 & I've had 2 unskilled jobs and 3 semi skilled jobs and there all still great references I don't even have a GED i do well for myself It wasn't easy but I asserted myself. I do wish I could contribute more to society which is why I will likely do some volunteer work soon. I deeply wish I could enter college and Persue my passions but I can't afford the massive student debt everyone I know in school has & im not allowed to enter college to study say politics or culinary unless I can do trigonometry go figure. What I figure is this system doesn't give a damn about us

• A shiny trophy for showing up

The standards are low, some teachers have great content and methodology of instruction. Most of the time, which is 95%, you need to push your way to what you want to get- an education. Its a glory to be in public education, lots of sparkly things, shiny books, and empty brains. Some classes and schools are better in the public districts, though in comparison to private, its like two different galaxies. Public institutions are mostly filled with promotions, endorsements, tacky messages "peta" "greenpeace" and fundraisers like blood drives. Its nice, to be aware of political and other issues like this, though this is not what an education is. Funding goes to everything but what is important- the instructor, books, and structure of student body.

• Everything about America is a joke

Currently a college student and you wouldn't believe the horse shit my professors assign us. School in America, whether elementary or higher education, is extremely poor and just straight up rubbish. It's not even about actually learning anything; kids get passed to the next grade year after year without knowing anything new. And as for college students, as long as we have a passing class grade we'll get the credit for the course. Don't even have to pass the final exams or anything. Complete nonsense and a waste of time. American colleges are just overpriced shit holes that drain your energy and kill your brain cells. God help me, I wanna study abroad!

• I am currently a student

I am currently a sophomore in high school and I want something with my life just like anybody else but high school CANNOT provide me with that. School is literally a joke and it's really sad. We need to change the education system rather than making up excuses, the US needs to wake up and do something because I've tried and have gotten nowhere. I'm stuck and school is only in my way. I'm trying to stay in school but honestly I see no reason, I mean college is great but honestly, the only thing school can provide is a paper saying "hey I can do the same boring shit over and over again every single day for the past 5-10 or more years." this isn't the industrial age anymore. And I highly doubt me ranting about school on this random website will do anything so if you excuse me I have to go to class, not to learn something useful such as programming but to waste my time and learn the same thing over and over again every single year until I graduate.

• I'm a teacher and have been completely disillusioned.

I'm not going to say much, but I've seen it from the inside and it's bad. Kids are passed along regardless of their learning or skills and you are not allowed to fail a child without administration and/or parents coming down on you, even if you can show the child did not even attempt the work. Teachers do not want to rock the boat or risk their paychecks (which I understand) even if the out of classroom data shows our strategies aren't working. It's why 90% of students in AP classes will get A and B grades, but only 10% will pass the exam. It's why a high school exit exam that tests 8th grade math and 10th grade language arts will be scrapped even though you only need to score a 50% to pass it. I've tried to implement research based strategies and grading that are based on content knowledge and performing skills.....People don't want it. They say they do, but once they truly see how low the kids are, they change their minds quickly. Teachers can't teach unwilling students who have figured out they will be passed along no matter what until they are 16 and can drop out. Those that are left understand they don't need to actually learn, just follow the rules and paint by numbers. It is pretty depressing and I'm still trying to figure out how to navigate or without losing my soul.

• The government's mass degrading societal brainwash.

We are much more capable of achieving great things in real life. School only gives you the illusion into believing that it's the only way you can get a good education. It does give you education, but it is very limited to how much there really is. It's not also what they teach, but how they teach it as well. It is incredibly fake, lame and really is a complete waste of time. With the type of environment school is, people are more likely to be brainwashed into judging other people. Who wants to live always being uptight and so serious just because they dont want to be seemingly immature, just because they don't want their reputation to be degraded? I really do believe that the ancients were smarter than us and would make the modern day type of people look like a joke. Actually I believe that the only individuals now that are extremely intelligent are the top members in government and aliens. I do believe that the powers from the 3rd eye do exist but are being suppressed due to mind control.

• It's not what it used to be!

Six years of study and one master's degree later and I feel no better equipped than before starting college. The journey was expensive and disappointing. The public school system doesn't prepare you for the realities of college and the work force. In fact, as a sophomore and senior in high school, my teachers spoon fed me the notion that higher education would lead to a good job and a secure future. Hogwash. Unless your goal is professional in nature - that is - medical school, dentistry, chiropractic, CPA, architect, etc., don't expect much of a return on your investment. My colleagues, who also hold master's degrees in various disciplines, are riding in the same boat as me. Employers don't care about your degree (even though they ask for it as a prerequisite to employment). Jobs are difficult to obtain even with advanced degrees. The market is flooded with college graduates who can't make ends meet and settle for jobs that don't require post secondary education. In addition, the landscape of employment versus education has drastically changed and employers are choosing candidates that have years of experience and credentials from 1st tier schools. So basically, 10 - 15 percent of all graduates are fortunate enough to have the skills and aptitude that employers are looking for (not to mention political connections) in order to secure a well paying job. The rest of us simply settle for jobs as couriers for UPS, McDonald's Staples, etc. My advise to high school students who have no interest in studying medicine, architecture, etc., a community college diploma or a skilled trade will get you much farther than a liberal arts degree.

• School is important.

Honestly I am a Senior in high school and there are students in my class that can honest to god not read a damn thing out of the textbooks. I paid attention in school and have learned just about all there is to know about education. No it is not things that would be great to know, like how to write a check our whether I should buy a car with a bigger down payment and less interest or a larger rate of interest but a smaller down payment but, the things that I have learned keep me up to date. The schools aren't teaching you what to think. They are teaching you how to think. The simple fact is, if you pay attention in school you won't be one of the retards that have to do a googles search for everything they don't know. School is not a joke. The students that misuse it just make it seem that way.

• The American education system is not always a joke.

While Americans are not as educated as many other people in the world, it is wrong and stereotypical to say that the entire education system is a joke. I think it all depends on the teachers and the students willingness to learn. I for one have received a decent education.

• I disagree with this

It's not a joke, it's a serious importance of government society and why should you put kids in school? Don't you know if your kid is suspended from school? It's not fair to suspend a child from school. Several more years of human rights now! What if you have a kid in any school, these schools shall be free for kids to enter. Do not pay for the private and public schools.