Is the American way of life preferred over all other cultures?

• Everyone wants to get here from a 3rd World

3rd world people can't make anything of their countries. So, they want to get here. There is free stuff here in the U.S. Free medicine, free contraceptives, free medical care, free food, the Feds will even help people with college tuition and pay for their school books. Since 3rd worlders can't do anything in their own nation, might as well come here and get some free stuff where whites largely run things and we have a Christian way of life for the most part. Even that is slipping some.

• It depends on the culture itself

Within different culture, people have different opinions on what kind of life is good, so there's no worldwide standard for it. Americans enjoy life by consuming a lot of goods, focusing on benefits at individual level. While Asians believe they should live more diligent and thrifty. And make the family and country better.

• It depends on the culture itself

• Yes, definitely, but.....

It certainly is the life people from foreign countries prefer. I am from a third world country and as I observe, not only with money/opportunities that America can give, the young people in my country are influenced by the trends america has shown. We are free here but what I see is that the freedom they want is more likely the freedom to do immoral acts (super sexy clothes, early sex life, cussing, etc etc) which is sad to know. I am young and yes, I like to wear this and have this and do that and i also have the 'American Dream' but it actually gives a big bad impact to cultures and 'religions'. The sad thing is, they(we) chose the wrong way. A country's identity is losing, which is very scary.

• Yes, who wouldn't?

Cultures are so diverse, so arbitrary and often independent. Why wouldn't anyone want be in the USA? Where you have the freedom to choose. I was born in a town of 500 in rural Kansas. Our community is conservative, Catholic, and blue collar. If you drive ten miles north there is a city of 35,000. This difference of ten miles is a world apart. In the US you have the ability to practice whatever culture you please , belong to whatever group and community you deem fit, so long as you do not infringe
    On anyone elses rights or break our laws. A place where a crime committed is seen as a crime against someone regardless of what group,ethnicity, or social standing you are in. It is true that we have our flaws just as much as others. But yet he who is without sin, cast the first stone. There are good people everywhere, The USA, Mexico, Afghanistan, Europe etc. Don't let the social medias ballooning of the bad misguide your thoughts.

• But it shouldn't be

People are obsessed with American cultures which have hardly any backround as America has not been around for long. America's culture of mass entertainment and social activity has lead to a unhealthy, inactive world in the future. This is my view so i could easily be wrong but is it right to ask if a view is right or wrong

• As someone who was born in a foreign country

My personal take is that yes, the American way of life is the best. Note that this does not mean it is perfect, but I defy you to find a people who place more value on equality, freedom of opportunity and the right to live as you wish. The freedoms and opportunity available to Americans are beyond compare.

• Yes, it certainly is.

The American way of life is spectacular in general for the fact that we have liberty and can do a lot of things that people in other countries can't. For example you can even sue the President! That just shows how much liberty we have because in other countries you well get killed! Furthermore if you have a favorable income, you can live happily.

• As one who has traveled to 19 countries, it is obvious to me that we have a superior culture.

America is far from being a perfect society. But, in my travels, I have not been to a country where people have as much freedom, prosperity and personal satisfaction. In fact, in every country, people would inevitably express a desire to immigrate to America, and ask advice on how to do that.

Posted by: NettN355
  • I agree that the American way of life is preferred over other cultures for many reasons.

I agree that the American way of life is preferred over other cultures for many reasons. First, people can be who they want to be. An example is some cultures do not accept certain sub-cultures such as gay culture. Second, people immigrate here to get jobs so they can send money home. One American dollar can sometimes provide one meal per person.

Posted by: SecondNoel50
  • ANTHRO 101

The first thing you learn if you take an anthropology class is that, from a social scientific standpoint, no culture is inherently "better" than another. Nothing, hence, makes American culture superior to other cultures, from an objective standpoint. The question does not note whom it is preferred by, so I am assuming it means from an objective standpoint.

• Blind jingoistic patriots I call Americans.

The American way of life is atrocious. Our way of life and our morals are skewed and no longer hold true, we put too much emphasis on material gain, to polish our own conceited egos. And to the extent that some are willing to go to protect this tainted society is beyond belief. I'm proud to be an American, but ashamed of what this country has become. We no longer deserve all the attention and recognition that we have, and the pitiful excuse for a culture we have here is beyond saving.

• The all-singin’, all-dancin’, gen-yoo-ine, kick-a$$, all-American culture – yee-ha!

I have visited many parts of America and it certainly is a great country and I regard the American way of life to be superior to some other cultures in some respects, but certainly not all other cultures in every respect. I wouldn’t even claim that for my own country’s way of life, even though I am deeply proud to be English – to do so would go far beyond patriotism to the point of nationalism at it’s most arrogant and jingoistic extreme. Have a nice day, y’all!

• There are many cultures in the world that are wonderful, and we are not necessarily better than them.

Personally, I prefer America's culture. I absolutely love the freedom that we have, and I love the values that we stand for. However, I would not say that other cultures are always worse than us. Other cultures value different things and, in some areas, we can learn from other cultures. It is always good to be able to learn the good things other cultures have, too. American culture is wonderful and great, but that does not mean that we are better than everyone else at everything.

Posted by: DizzyCasey
  • I think this question is probably debatable, depending on your culture, but I feel that America lacks values and tradition.

I am sure that being able to have the freedoms that we have in this country are welcomed all over the world. But, as far as our culture, I think that maybe some other cultures feel that we are maybe too carefree. I would rather have a culture where traditions and values are placed beyond everything else, and family comes before all. But, it seems as though our culture in this country has lost those values and traditions.

Posted by: SlipArnal
  • The American way of life is preferred by certain cultures, but other cultures reject our values.

There are certain cultures that do not buy into the American way of life. One example would be a certain percentage of Islam that believes Americans are corrupt. They see us as Godless and greedy, which is reflected in our culture through sexual freedom, capitalism, freedom of speech, and freedom of religion.

Posted by: P0ngCuII
  • The American way of life is obviously not preferred, because a lot of people choose to immigrate out of the USA.

There are American workers/citizens who prefer other cultures, and end up moving away from America. If it were the preferred way of life, all of those people would end up staying. In a lot of cases, people love their way of life in other countries as well. A lot of people in other countries actually believe the American way of life is excessive and inefficient.

Posted by: banana1194
  • The American way is not preferred because it is morally irresponsible.

Although the American way of life may seem luxurious to many, it is not the same across the socioeconomic board. Many Americans live in poverty and do not have access to proper education, housing or food. We irresponsibly spend money on larger and larger houses and spend until we get into debt. Instead of growing our own food we also support exploitative business practices by supporting factory farming and the unsupervised labor of illegal immigrants. Our culture is not superior to other cultures at all because it encourages superficiality, waste and indulgence. Although it's true than many cultures are worse or the same, our culture is not better than the British, Australians or Germans, etc.

Posted by: R4yCher
  • The American way of life is not the preferred lifestyle because that's just a false, nationalistic idea.

The American way of life is not the preferred lifestyle because that's just a false, nationalistic idea. Every country thinks they're the best. Some of the basic tenets of the US are much better than others', but way of life is a subjective thing. Thinking we're the best way and the only way to do things really encourages those who don't like us much to really hate us.

Posted by: H0bi3Invader
  • I do not believe the American lifestyle is preferred over all other cultures.

I assume myself to be a "mutt mixture"-a blend of Native American, Scots, Welsh..assorted odds and ends on the ancestral chain. More so than a lot of people, having been adopted has made genealogy a passion most of my life. Research into different nationalities, surnames, and different cultures have provided me with knowledge of my own and other's ancestors' cultures. On the average, I believe the American citizen does not have too much cultural inheritance unless one is born into or brought into a race other than "Caucasian"-Native American, Jewish, etc. If one is lucky enough to have roots that other generations of family members have tended and cared enough to hand down, then no doubt the family cultural heritage is known by most. Many cultures may try the American way of life and adapt to it, but others return to claim their cultural identity with intense longings. It appears that genealogy websites are proof of the longing and wanting to know one's cultural heritage as so many Americans search endlessly for their own!

Posted by: TristaE