Is the anti-war Left totally discredited by Obama's decision to attack Syria?

Asked by: DavidMGold
  • The Hypocrisy is immense.

Here is what Barack Obama said at an anti-war protest in Chicago while is was in the Illinois Senate and he was paired with Jesse Jackson at this event (October 2002) -

"What I am opposed to is the attempt by political hacks like Karl Rove to distract us from a rise in the uninsured, a rise in the poverty rate, a drop in the median income — to distract us from corporate scandals and a stock market that has just gone through the worst month since the Great Depression. That's what I'm opposed to. A dumb war. A rash war. A war based not on reason but on passion, not on principle but on politics."

"But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history."

Where is Cindy Sheehan and Code Pink? Where is ANSWER? Where all those Hollywood celebrities? I've seen articles where they say since George Bush left office they're too poor to protest Syria...My, my!

• I'm starting to trust Republicans more on foreign policy issues

Both parties start wars. At least Republicans tend to look for wars based on national security concerns even if they sometimes get a bit paranoid and fall for false intelligence sometimes. The Democrats are more concerned with humanitarian aspects. War is not a charity. Save something on the level of Hitler we should not go to war because of humanitarian reasons. And then when we should do just that such as with Rwanda Democratic Clinton did nothing.
    I still support Democrats more on domestic policy issues.

I don't want World War III. Chemical weapons are atrocious but it's not like he wouldn't have been killing and torturing the rebels regardless. And many of these rebels are with Al Qaeda. This could turn out just like when the US defended Afghanistan from the Soviets and the Taliban took over afterwards. It would have been better if Afghanistan had just stayed communist.

• No, but Obama is.

Of course, Obama speaking out against war and then attacking Syria is hypocritical. But Obama is not representative of all liberals. Many liberals (myself included) strongly dislike Obama, considering him to be a disappointment. These people should not be discredited by a decision by a person they do not support.

Bullish says2013-08-31T20:28:35.827
Lol. This question is based on a series of premises that pretty much discredit any type of answer.
DavidMGold says2013-08-31T21:06:55.027
LOL...It is a question and quite specific...Not a series...Even “What Dennis Kucinich said "What antiwar movement?”
Bullish says2013-08-31T21:10:21.513
Were you responding to me or going off on a tangent? What?