• The theme of the Bible is Righteousness

Yes. The Bible calls us to a higher way of living, of sacrifice rather than selfishness, of putting others first. The greatest moral lessons are contained in the Bible, and the Bible is a reliable guide for anyone aspiring to live a moral life. Anyone who reads the Bible with an open heart will hear his or her conscience responding to words therein.

• It's a great source.

The Bible is given from God, the perfect creator of the universe. The Bible is the foundation of sound doctrine. Without God, there is no rational for morals; it's every man for himself. It is only because God exists that there are morals. The reason every person has an otherwise irrational sense of right and wrong is because of God.

• Bible IS my morals

Every single moral ever written is written in the bible. Many skeptics will debate that the bible teaches poor morals (possibly due to their misunderstandings about the more legalistic parts of the bible) but never the less, I believe the bible is the written word of god and god has used it to teach us good morals.

• The Bible is the best and should be the only source of morals! IT'S THE WORD OF GOD FOR CHRIST'S SAKE!!!!!

I don't even understand why this is even a question! GOD is the creator of the universe and His word is the BIBLE! You can find solutions, comfort, and fulfillment reading the BIBLE. The BIBLE tells people how to live with good morals, and gives them wisdom if they read and follow the BIBLE's instructions. Take it from a devoted Christian of 6 years.

• Only when interpreted correctly

I admit there are many verses that can be misinterpreted to justify immoral actions.But the Bible must be seen as a part of the apostolic tradition, and the correct way of interpretation of the early Church fathers must also be considered.Considering that Christianity is the basis for most of modern western philosophy it would be wrong to call it a bad source of morality.

• I would think so

Honestly this question has a bit to do with perspective on religion and christianity, but if you read the bible and understand the acts that were commited and the reason why, then I would think the obvious answer would be, yes the bible is a good source for your morals.

• It is all positive

In my opinion the bible is a great source for your morals because even if you don't take the religous aspect of everything in it it still leads you positively. Nothing bad could come out of getting your morals from the bible , unless you manipulate it, but if you take it all in how it is written then it would be nearly impossible to get anything bad out of it.

• At some points, yes.

It depends on how it is interpreted and which verse. I do not believe the Bible is meant to be taken seriously at face-value. Much of it is allegory and meant to be thought over to find the true meaning. Choosing to take everything literally is absolute lunacy, especially in modern times. In my opinion to truly understand the Bible's meaning, one must understand that the time in which it was written is over. I do agree with some things in the Bible, like the ten commandments and the beatitudes. The golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you", is a good rule to live by.

• God has good morals, our bad performance of them is not his intention

God himself, as stated in the bible, has good and fluent morals. He was a perfect man who did not sin. His followers were not perfect though, as you stated earlier. They did bad things that is wrong doing to Gods desires. Though process this, IT IS NOT GOD who acted these morals. It was the people who he gave free choice to, so that they are entitled to there own lives. No human other than Jesus was perfect, yes they disobeyed, as I am sure you and I have too. He used mistakes from the bible to teach a lesson for others in the wake of the possible future. As stated in the Bible, ""You have heard that it was said, "Love your neighbor[i] and hate your enemy." 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?" This is an example of a moral that God had that his followers didn't. God Almighty is perfect, and his morals are too. Yes you are right that his followers did murder, steal, lie. As we "as a world" do today, but this does not alter from the fact that Gods Morals, are perfect, not our performance of them. He uses are mistakes to teach future descendants. God has good morals, and our bad performance of them is being highlighted by others as his morals.

• It is a universal source for morals.

God talks about what they should not do. What is an abomination to him too. The bible mentions infanticide and gay marriage. It also mentions how lust, greed, vanity also reaches to the futility of mankind and that we should stay out of and watch ourselves from those things. Many quotes on you that are very comparable to today's events. Such as thinking before you speak because the words that come out of your tongue you no longer own. Many people disagreeing with this are speaking of their own opinions about the bible, not about the facts if the bible is a good source for morals, but in fact, it is.

• The Bible is full of awful things

I stand by opinion that the Bible is an awful place to get your morals from. It contains a lot of awful and conflicting phrases in it. For instance the things the Bible says about slavery are appalling. In Exodus 21:20-21 NAB it says "When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property." How is that not sick?! It's basically that a slave master can beat his slaves as much as he wants as long as they don't die! It also contains human sacrifice! No, it really does! "At that time the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah, and he went throughout the land of Gilead and Manasseh, including Mizpah in Gilead, and led an army against the Ammonites. And Jephthah made a vow to the LORD. He said, "If you give me victory over the Ammonites, I will give to the LORD the first thing coming out of my house to greet me when I return in triumph. I will sacrifice it as a burnt offering."

"So Jephthah led his army against the Ammonites, and the LORD gave him victory. He thoroughly defeated the Ammonites from Aroer to an area near Minnith – twenty towns – and as far away as Abel-keramim. Thus Israel subdued the Ammonites. When Jephthah returned home to Mizpah, his daughter – his only child – ran out to meet him, playing on a tambourine and dancing for joy. When he saw her, he tore his clothes in anguish. "My daughter!" he cried out. "My heart is breaking! What a tragedy that you came out to greet me. For I have made a vow to the LORD and cannot take it back." And she said, "Father, you have made a promise to the LORD. You must do to me what you have promised, for the LORD has given you a great victory over your enemies, the Ammonites. But first let me go up and roam in the hills and weep with my friends for two months, because I will die a virgin." "You may go," Jephthah said. And he let her go away for two months. She and her friends went into the hills and wept because she would never have children. When she returned home, her father kept his vow, and she died a virgin. So it has become a custom in Israel for young Israelite women to go away for four days each year to lament the fate of Jephthah's daughter." (Judges 11:29-40 NLT) That right there is human sacrifice! This is really just the tip of the iceberg. The Bible is full of terrible stories that make me wonder why we continue to read this awful book.

• Biblical morality? No, thanks.

How many times do non-believers have to point out the atrocities and crimes against humanity in the Bible before evangelical Christians "get it"? Rape. Slavery. Murder. Genocide. Infanticide. Child sacrifice. All of these things are in the Bible, and more often than not, commanded by Yahweh, who was the war deity in the ancient Canaanite pantheon.

This is where believers will be quick to point out that those things are found in the Old Testament, and that we should consider the brutal culture that the ancient Israelites lived in, while forgetting what Jesus said in Matthew 5:17. It's the 21st century. I think it's time we put this tired argument to rest.

• Good grief, no.

The bible is not only highly contradictory when it comes to morality- don't kill, unless that person is someone who believes in a different god than you, or gay, or an adulterer, then go ahead and stone 'em- but also promotes intolerance, hatred, bigotry, sexism, racism, and violence against anyone who does not believe exactly as Christians do.

• Lets play a game....

Have you heard of this game? Open the bible randomly, put your finger down on the page, and do what the verse says. The winner is who ever is the last to go to jail. Yes that is meant as a joke but it makes a clear point. If we were to follow the bible strictly we would end up in jail.

What i find interesting is how personal views on ethics has always lead the way and the bible has always lagged. Personal views on things like homosexuals and slavery have changes over time because first personal morals have changed and the biblical justification came second. Sure you can find those who will point to verses to support their liberal/modern interpretation, but my point is those liberal/modern views cam about first and then verses that were read one way were read a different way or if there was not room to twist them around they just get forgot about. Lets face it bigoted bible verses dont die they just fade away.

• Only if you leave out many parts.

Examples:

How to make sure your does not leave.
    Exodus 21
    4 If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out by himself.
    5 And if the servant shall plainly say, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’
    6 then his master shall bring him unto the judges. He shall also bring him to the door or unto the doorpost, and his master shall bore his ear through with an awl, and he shall serve him for ever.

Kill people who you see are evil.
    Exodus 22
    18 “Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live.

Kill homosexuals
    Leviticus 20
    13 “‘If a man also lie with mankind as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death: their blood shall be upon them.

This was just a short list. Nice morals they teach huh?

• The Bible condones rape, slavery, hate, and misogynistic behavior.

Not every passage in the Bible is totally off-the-wall crazy, but why would you want to use a book that tells you it's okay to murder and practice animal/human sacrifice for your morals? Most cherry-pick the ideas that they agree with and disregard the other malicious material. The sect of people who are the most Christian is the Westboro Baptist Church. If murder were legal, you could guarantee that Westboro Baptists would be the first to stone gays to death (it's in the bible).

So no, I would say the Bible is not a good source of morals. If your idealized version of Jesus is of a guy that is forgiving and honest and treats everyone with respect and kindness, then go for it. But I don't think you necessarily need anyone or anything telling you what's right and wrong. As long as you treat yourself and others with compassion and respect, then figuring out your morality is easy. You don't need to rely on a religious text to tell you to be a good person.

• Absolutely no way!!

The bible is full of murder, child abuse and nasty things. How in any way can anyone think eternal torture is moral?

And just in case you are thinking that the evil and immoral laws of the Old Testament are no longer in effect, perhaps you should read where Jesus makes it perfectly clear: "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

• A text ridden with dogma, celestial incentives and double standards is not a good source for any intellectual person's morals

Morality should come from independent scrutiny not religious authority. Nietzsche, Shakespeare, Dumas, Aristotle, dawkins, Machiavelli Kant and Satre all have more interesting things to say. Why use religion when you have literature, mythology and philosophy at your disposal. Leviticus supports slavery and homophobia. Morality takes its base from the zeitgeist and fiats designed for social abidment - true morality must be developed through one's self.Morality is moulded subjectively through the clay of one’s developed judgement. I feel that the acts/ moral nature within themselves are fundamentally right and wrong within the moral spectrum; I don’t believe there is an inherent sense of moral judgement inherited at birth or omnisciently present in one book and its subsequent teachings, which allows us to have a rational understanding of the spectrum – and thus I don’t think people are born evil or virtuous. Your moral sense is your own

• READ it First

Just look at the sceneary they depict when they speak of the best men on earth the prophet peace be upon them The bible falsey narrates them as adulters, alcholics, and low class. When these men were the elvated statues of humans kind the role models how can they be the ones we follow and they take part in these things Go read for yourself

• Doesn't work for this century.

The bible is full of inconsistent principles and values that don't apply to today's understanding of the world. It asks people not to eat certain foods based on past misconceptions of what's sanitary (we know today that swine and crustaceans can be served healthily) and encourages all people to "go forth and multiply" while we now struggle with overpopulation. The Old Testament states that a woman who is raped and doesn't scream for help is responsible for her situation and should be stoned, while the New Testament considers murder a grave sin. But God does not make mistakes or change his mind, so these different views are contradicting. It would be far better for people to form their own values based on consistent principles of what's true in our time.