• Why would he give people free will, and yet punish those who do not follow?

There are more instances of the Bible contradicting itself, but that's one I think covers a bit more of a broader idea. While I don't know too much about all the stories in the Bible, so I can't say much, but I know of enough instances where it seems to contradict itself; such as in the headline.
    The 10 Commandments don't seem to expand more on some topics; such as honoring one's mother and father.
    Another instance is the fact God loves all his creations, and yet homosexuals are excluded from that? I've asked a few priests and Christians, and I've gotten a range of answers. Some say it's outright sinful but they didn't seem to give reason why other than "That's what it says in the Bible"; some told me it was just the act of sodomy, but, while I cannot properly cite where it says in the Bible (and I feel like it depends on the version and publication as well), there are some that distinctly say "homosexuals"; and others wondered that as well, even though they know that the Bible says homosexuality is sinful.

• Just Read the Bible.

Anyone who says their isn't is either lying or hasn't read the entire bible. Below is a site that lists the contradictions in the Bible. (If you don't believe me, just check the bible pages listed.) There shouldn't be a single person who feels the need to deny that there are contradictions in the bible.
    Bible Contradictions:

• Is Truth denotative or connotative?

This argument always comes to the concept of ostensible truth.

Fact: Yes, there are some mishaps in the Bible. Judas's death for example, did he hang or did he explode in a field...Does it matter? In both cases he died of guilt and grief. He probably hanged himself, but the point of his death isn't the how or why, and that is ostensible truth. Considering the age of the Bible, the number of writers, and the various languages it hopped through, such a small number of contradictions is beyond remarkable for any ancient or modern text.

*rebuttal to erehwon*

So let's look at the arguments made by erehwon who doesn't seem to understand the text, let alone a contradiction.

1) Free will isn't a contradiction, and in fact it is all tied into the commandments, and even the greatest commandment of all, "To love the Lord God with all your heart, mind and soul (first 4 commandments) and to love one another as yourself (the remaining six). God will not interfere with your free will! How could He? If he did you are not free. And if you choose to do evil, choose not to follow Him, and choose to not believe, then that is your choice, so why should you take part in His reward?

I have always been ready to welcome My people, who stubbornly do what is wrong and go their own way. - Isaiah 65:2

However - to assume God enjoys punish these people is wrong. "Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked? And not rather that he should return from his way and live?" Ezekiel 18:23

Luke 15, we all know the parable of the prodigal son who left home and then came back and daddy had a huge party for him, Jesus even tells us directly that when a sinner repents and turns to God there is much rejoicing in Heaven.

So the ostensible truth of the Jewish Law is preserved even with a 700-year divide between the two passages.

Now, concerning homosexuals, this is a clear misunderstanding that there is a difference between sin and sinner. God loves everyone, John 3:16 - most quoted verse of the entire Bible - but what he cannot abide is a willful sin (Pretty much the point of every book from Judges through Lamentations). Willful sin is when you know what you're doing is wrong and you choose to do it anyway. God says don't do it, and if you love Him, you won't do it (ostensible truth). Do we need to know the reason? No, unless we plan to argue, and at that point we're showing rebellion - or willful sin. Is it wrong to ask God to reveal his reasoning? Nope, so why not turn and ask? And on that same point, what does God ask of us that is so hard we turn our backs on His reward anyway?

*end of line*