• Of course it's real!!!

God calls all you atheist's fools. All of you who say God is not real are really blind & have no faith. Things change yes because we did evolve in education that's why God gave us free will to test our loyalty to him. God has written 2 books, Genisses & The new Testimont. You can't prove history wrong if not people would be in denial of things that are just as old as the Christ era.

Let me ask you atheists one question, how was the earth created? I'll use what most of you guys use as to "prove god is not real" by science.
    How did the earth begin? The big bang most of you say yes? Ok And after the big bang that left the earth a dark, a place with no life, blank world didn't it? So could we have really evolved from a little cell years ago that had nothing? The earth had nothing remember it was just black, dull, & blind. There was NO ENERGY to start a movement of cells. So how'd we evolve from a cell?? Because we didn't! God came to this dark planet. Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form and void, and darkness was over the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 And God saw that the light was good. And God separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day."
    The Bible always prevails.

• The Bible is the Word of God Established with Variety of Literary Genres

Most often, when people have a problem with the Bible or claim factual/logical inconsistencies, they do so from a perspective of virtual literary ignorance. This is not intended to be offensive, rather it is simply descriptive of the way many people approach the Word of God.

In order to read the Bible for all its worth, and to mine it for all its wealth, we have to first understand that there are a variety of genres represented in the 66 books of the Bible, including (but not limited to) poetry, proverbs, lyrics, prophetic text, historical narratives/epics, epistles (letters), documentaries, apocalyptic scripture, etc...--and that each genre requires its own hermeneutic.

When people criticize poetic language, for instance, and say that a particular metaphor is not scientifically accurate, they are being ignorant with respect to the literature. A poetic metaphor is generally not intended to be scientifically accurate... Rather, its purpose is to convey what a thing is like, not what a thing is.

Example: Job 9:5-6 (NASB)

5 “It is God who removes the mountains, they know not how,
    When He overturns them in His anger;
    6 Who shakes the earth out of its place,
    And its pillars tremble;

This is not meant to convey that there are literal pillars upon which the Earth rests... Given the poetic/narrative nature of the book, and the immediate context, this is obvious.

Most people who consider the Bible anything less than fact have never read it for all its worth--with the proper application of hermeneutics.

• Yes based on faith

In a philosophical sense 'Faith' must be considered with this question. I'll throw this analogy out there to support what I think - Your Wife, Husband or Partner may commit an adulterous act with a much sexier male or female. Most of us would never wish for this to occur, so we hold onto the 'facts' we do know which is, 'I have faith in my wife, husband or partner not to commit such an act because I'm enough for them'

The same goes for a belief system structured around supporting or dismissing the bible as fact. I personally embrace the thought of a loving God that cares for me and provides that nurturance. When I die I will go to heaven - a gift to man through the grace of Christ, all of which is promised throughout scripture only if we believe. Why would I not want to believe this as fact? It is just as one would not want to believe their significant other is sleeping with another man or woman.

I believe based on 'faith' that Bible is fact and God ordained its various interpretations eg. King James, American Standard Version or New International Version etc to connect with people from differing cultures and dialects. In Revelation 22:18-19 it says, "For I testify unto everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book, if anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; And if anyone takes away from the words of this book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, and from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book."

Why would anyone under fear of God's wrath do this? In particularly times when secularism wasn't as prevalent, for example during times when KJV translation started which occurred from 1604 through to 1611. These were times when blasphemy led to death or exile - with the consequences at hand why would anyone go to lengths in purposely changing the context of biblical accounts? Its ridiculous to think they would.

The bible has every right to be fact and if you want scientific explanations I would invite anyone to look upon the works of Kent Hovind's, William Lane Craig or John Lennox - all intelligent, educated and credible sources.

• Yes it is.

I don't care how any of those raging evolutionists and atheists behave towards me. I believe in God and the Bible. If that is offensive to you, I have three words for you: DEAL WITH IT.

There are many statements in the Bible that have been proven true through research and historical evidence. However, other statements in the Bible can be believed as true because people have the right to religion. Yes, I'm talking to you, people at "Is evolution a fact?"

• Parts are factual, other parts are fictitious

The bible consists of the old testament and the new testament. The old testament can be divided into 2 categories;
    1.) Factual.
    2.) Myths rooted in Fact (Semi-fiction)

The New testament is a bit different. The New Testament is complete fiction, with some minor factual details (such as Pontius Pilatus, and the Roman Census). Unlike the myths of the old testament, the new testament is not based on historical events, but rather the authors use historical figures and events to tie their myths to reality.

I take the stance that the bible is fact, because it is not complete fiction. The bible is facts which have been embellished. The embellishments are the reason I do not trust scripture.

Posted by: DanT
  • Many Things In The Bible Have Been Proven As Historic

Many things in the Bible have been proven as historical fact, i.E. Hebrews enslaved in Egypt; Pontius Pilate as the 5th Roman Governor of Judaea, etc. While much remains unproven, it doesn't diminish the facts that have been found in the Bible. It also suggests that the book can be accepted as a historical book.

• Most certainly is!

In the beginning the word was with God and the word was God. Each and every passage has come to pass, somethings a couple times, and they will all continue to until His return. Repent and be baptized in Jesus Christ name for remission of your sins. Acts 2:38, Mark 16:16. He loves us amd wishes for none to perish, but have eternal life being His people and He created us to be. I know everybody knows John 3:16. And it's not a lie its truth. Along with baptism and repentance of our wicked ways and turn back to Him whole heartedly. These storms, tornadoes, earthquakes, diseases, captivity, just as Israel of old, and so it is again, deaths, i can go on and on and it will continue to. Its all been told in Deuteronomy 28 and throughout the rest of the bible. Its undeniable. And when it is denied its ignorance, ni eyes to see nor ears to hear, but when one seeks Him, he opens the eyes of the blind and the ears of the def, its not just speaking of literal here and His word has always proven true and always will.

• If the Bible is unreliable, so are all our sources of ancient history

First thing to remember is that the Bible contains numerous types of literary devices including historical narrative, allegory, syllogism, euphemisms, allusions, hyperbole, metaphor, and on and on. When someone asks me if I take the Bible literally, I always ask them, "what part?" The Bible has not been rewritten in the way people think, nor has it been lost in translation. When people say these things they are unaware of evidence to the contrary. We have copies of manuscripts of the New Testament that date to within 100 years of the originals We have an extremely accurate copy of the Old Testament based on comparing the Masoretic Manuscript copies with Old Testament manuscripts found in and with the Dead Sea Scrolls in Qumran. If the Old Testament was changed, it had to have been done before 200 BC just on the evidence of the Qumran scrolls. There is also the quotes from early Christians who lived in the 1st 2nd and 3rd centuries AD such as Origen, Justin Martyr, Clement, & Irenaeus. These were Bishops who quoted New and Old Testament scriptures, and what they quoted is what words exist today. The idea that the Bible was changed in the 300s is a myth. Archaeology and cultural history affirm the Bible's details of customs, persons, places and events. Based on this reliability, we can have a great amount of confidence that the supernatural claims that the Bible makes are also factual.

• Without a Doubt.

Firstly I would like the other side to stop bringing up the God debate as this topic is limited on the Bibles authority. If you wish to discuss God, go to a forum with that topic.

You could take all the books in the world and find that they do not receive anywhere near as much criticism as the Bible. In fact the Bible is the best selling book in the world and the most critically analyzed. Likewise, the Christian faith and our God receives the most doubt.

The Bible has many authors, all of whose work coincides in every fashion possible. For example, Genesis is in complete logical concordance with exodus, etc. Every book philosophically coincides. I have run logic truth tables throughout portions of the Bible and it is consistent and valid, thus making it true. It is so exact that, when archaeologists go to search for treasures and what not, they use the bible as a map.

What these authors witnessed was undoubtedly true. In most events of the Bible there are two or more witnesses. U.S. Courts only rely on two witnesses to prove a man innocent of murder, yet Jesus' resurrection is in question even when there were 30 onlookers. If Jesus was real, then the Bible and the whole faith of Christianity is valid. Jesus is real, therefore it is sake to say the Christian faith is valid.

The other side says, "how do we know it is the original text?" Bless the Jews and their legalistic and particular ways. The scribes would take the written words of mosses, Isaiah, etc. And would copy by hand every word and letter onto a manuscript. If they messed up one word or one "tittle"(mark or line) they would do away with the manuscript and start over, until they got it right. There are 24,000 original manuscripts, one no different then the other. Yet the Iliad only has about 10 original copies and is never doubted. Its interesting how there is only one original copy of Darwin's book on Natural Selection and no one ever wonders if Darwin actually wrote it.

I believe, without a doubt, that the Bible is the spoken word of God.

"I believe in Christianity as much as I believe in the sunrise, not because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." - C.S. Lewis

• Yes, the Bible is fact!

The events that occured in the Bible really did happen. The Bible is like a book of history, except it implies the meanings of Christianity. Whether you choose to believe in the beliefs of the Bible is based on your opinion and reasoning, but the events that happened in it cannot be proven wrong. Technically speaking, the Bible IS a book of fact, and a book of history. If you think that what happened in the Bible really did not occur, then it would be like reading a history book and denying everthing in it. People can deny that God exists based on their opinion, but no one can deny the events that happened in the Bible.

• No its not.

I do believe in the existence of god. I was brought up catholic. The bible was rewritten several times and you can't expect it to be exactly like the original. There is no real proof the stories told in bible happened so we can't believe in book written hundreds of years ago.

• No, it is Not

Lets be clear. The Bible contains facts, and it is a fact that the Christian Bible exists. Having said that, there is a great deal in the bible that is not factual, and an even greater amount of things that are not verifiable, so that we would have no business calling it fact.

• Did he seriously say historically and morally factual

Maybe I misread. It was probably hysterically, not historically.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I am going to go beat my slaves, have incest with my daughters (who, if they disobey me, I plan to kill), and feed my unicorn (oh, wait, I don't think there were any unicorns left after two of every frigging animal on the planet was somehow packed onto one boat -- where did he get his penguins and turkeys, anyway?). I'm just happy that the giant dome above the flat disc we live on keeps all the water from outer space from crashing down on our shiny new 6,000 year old planet, er, disc.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I am going to go watch the sun revolve around us.

• No. No. No.

In my opinion all religions are nothing but lies. Though they have taught important lessons and provided peace of mind, they have caused wars and bigotry. The bible, qur'an, torah, and other holy books are nothing but millennial old tales that, though the have occasionally done good, are troublesome lies.

• The Bible doesn't even market itself as "fact".

If I understand this question correctly. It consists of mostly parables, instances of what happened to a fictional character and how said character dealt with said instance. It also contains symbolism, also not "fact". All the creatures in Revelations for instance aren't real, their symbolic. It is too complex a book to be all one way or another, however, and you should either research into different ways to interpret or rely on the religion institution you place your trust in.
    If that's the route you want to go.
    I myself am agnostic, strongly leaning towards atheism. But did spend 17 years of my life being forced to read the Bible and actually trying to believe for my families sake. During that time, I realized the only thing in that book that consistently made sense were the things taught by Christ (really, he never had anything bad to say about anyone, he preached love and good deeds) and the Ten Commandments weren't bad advice, either.

• Not even close.

The bible is rife with historical and scientific inaccuracy and impossibility, magic, and ludicrously unethical behavior.
    None of the major stories of the bible can be corroborated with history and archaeology, and many are outright disproven- the Noahide flood, Exodus, the Kingdom of David and Solomon, "Adam and Eve". Heck, there isn't even any primary historical evidence Jesus existed.

• Can't be possible.

First off, who can say "I have proof that the bible is real". After all, a fact is something that can be proven/supported. Just because somebody wrote something down, that doesn't make it real.

Second, aren't you suppose to have something called faith? Isn't this a faith thing?
    What is faith?

Faith is the belief, confidence or trust in a person, thing, deity, or in the doctrines or teachings of a religion or view.

• There is no evidence to support the claim that the bible is fact.

The evidence supports the claim that the bible is a human creation. A 2000 year old human creation that ancient peoples used as a way to explain the great mystery that is our world.

If someone were to make the claim that the bible is fact they are openly supporting violence, genocide, racism, homophobia, rape... Ect.

Believe it or Christianity is a religion of human sacrifice. It is the sacrifice of one, Jesus, for the benefit of all others. Christianity is not a religion that repudiates human sacrifice. It is a religion that celebrates a single human sacrifice as though it were effective.

To those who do "believe" the bible is fact I would ask that you turn yourself into the authorities immediately for you are a danger to our society. Murder, rape, genocide, and all the other malicious acts committed in the bible are not acceptable in a modern and civilized society. Those who believe such acts are moral and righteous in the name of god need to be removed from society, or at the very least given intense therapeutic help.

• No, it's not.

Something that is claimed to be from God but then has physical proof of being changed is not reliable, and thus not fact. It is widely known that the Bible was written by various men with contrasting opinions and ideas. That is logically not able to bee fact. Therefore, the Bible is not fact.

• It was written by men.

Any idea that doesn't support enough evidence to be called a "fact is a theory. The work of Charles Darwin is called The Theory of Evolution (emphasis on Theory), because it doesn't bring enough evidence to be accepted with absolute certainty. Why should The Bible be any different? In, fact many things in The Bible have been disproved.

cybertron1998 says2013-07-04T06:40:13.250
Not all of it is a fact
Speceus says2014-05-09T19:14:33.013
Name something that is and tell me why you would believe in a book you know is not all true - how do you distinguish truth from lie? Would you believe in a math book that started out by saying 1+1=4 which is fundamentally wrong and later said stuff like "If you divide by 0 you will always get 387" which is just complete nonsense.