• The theory fits the evidence, and it's not too hard to understand why.

Scientists have discovered that the vast majority of galaxies are moving away from us. This suggests that at some point in the past, galaxies were close together.

Scientists have also found that microwave radiation is emanating from all around the earth. The microwave radiation is consistent with an past event occurring throughout the universe that emitted electromagnetic radiation.

Also, scientists have calculated the ratios of concentration of elements in the universe such as hydrogen and helium. These ratios are not consistent with elements only being created only in stars, and match the numbers for synthesis of basic elements in a very high energy environment.

Scientists have also found that galaxies from a very long time ago have a different structure than galaxies today, suggesting that the universe is not static. Moreover, all the previous events occur at around the same time that galaxies first appear.

All this suggests that some sequence of events about 14 billion years ago occurred when matter in the universe was close together and hot, and that these events released high energy radiation and led to matter rapidly moving away from other matter.

The Big Bang theory is a very compelling theory that explains all the above phenomena and more. Perhaps it is wrong, but it is most certainly rational.

• People tend to have uninformed opinions about the Big Bang.

When reading the opinions from the "No" side, I realize every single one of them don't understand the known concept of the Big Bang. True, as a species we don't know much about the Big Bang, but from observation we do know a bit. Even though it is named the Big Bang, it wasn't an explosion. There was no combustion or ignition to kick start the universe as we know it. The Big Bang is actually an instantaneous sudden inflation of space-time from a singularity, which only then, resulted in matter colliding and pulling together to fuse and start shaping the universe. Explosions and fusion happened after the initial "Big Inflation". What is hard for the non-believers to understand is how this singularity came about to be and what triggered the inflation. That is unknown to us yet, even though I have my theories. However, the evidence from cosmic radiation and the observed current expansion of the universe speeding up implies there was a beginning at a single point. Food for thought: as humans first looked up at the skies, it was believed that the Earth was the center of the universe and that the Sun and other known planets revolved around us. Back then, that was the extent of the universe. Then we discovered that we are the ones revolving around the Sun among other planets. Then we discovered the other lights in the sky are other stars from a cluster (galaxy). But is was thought the galaxy was the universe. Then we discovered there are more galaxies like ours. We keep having to adjust our understanding of the universe to bigger scales. We keep discovering grandness above grandness. And we MAY (I do say "may") have yet to discover that the universe is part of a collection of universes. The theory of the multi-verse puts the Big Bang as the birth of a universe, an event which could happen as commonly in a system of universes than stars going supernova or new stars forming inside of it. And when I read the non-believers' opinions that nothing pops into existence, they are wrong. Electrons do this ALL THE TIME. Popping in and out of existence, and yet, without them atoms would not exist. The very building blocks of everything we currently understand as existing is made of atoms with electrons that has this weird behavior.

• God-fearing idiots need to get things in perspective.

It always amuses me when people suffering from the disorder of religion say "OMG, how did Big bang happen if nothing was there before it? Makes no sense, HAHAHAHAHA!"

Then they turn around and say "God was always there, he made everything from nothing and himself came from nothing, HAHAHAHAHA!"

• It is widely accepted by scientists

Yes, there is speculation about it, and like the theory of evolution, it hasn't been completely proven, but also like the theory of evolution, it is widely accepted by many people, including scientists. Also, for those who use the argument of "how could the universe come from 'nothing'", you don't understand quite how the Big Bang Theory works. I don't know exactly how a universe is supposed to come from nothing, but one way to defeat this argument is quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics state that things can spontaneously appear.

• My Christian Opinion.

I don't see anyone having a problem with the Big Bang, Atheists and Christians alike both have looked at the evidence and have found it proven beyond a reasonable doubt given the scientific evidence. I have never met a Christian who has had a reason to not believe in the Big Bang due to the fact that they believe God caused it. The Big Bang has never been a problem to Christian Theology.

The only group of people that has a problem with it is Young Earth Creationist's, but then again..They have a problem with anything that's not a literal interpretation of the Bible.

The question is whether or not something can come from nothing. Which isn't true. Before a bunch of Atheist's start attacking my opinion let it be known that I have read "A Universe from Nothing" and have still found it laughable in a lot of areas. I'm not the only one who has that opinion either, I have seen both Atheist and Christian Intellectuals who have written scathing reviews of that book. (I am saying this because I have seen one or two Atheist's referencing that book on this opinion area).

So yes, it's rational. The Big Bang is as rational as Evolution, it's as rational as Gravity or Mathematics.

• It's based on evidence, so yes.

Is it rational? Is it "based on or in accordance with reason or logic"? Yes.
    Einstein's theory of relativity paired with Hubble's discovery of the fact that galaxies are moving apart and the discovery of cosmic background radiation, among other things, gave us enough evidence for the big bang to be fact.

• Rational Yes...But factual, now that's debatable.

First, I am a science major and I also come from a christian family. So my view doesn't take either side, it takes what I see as plausible given the known universe and the laws of physics that we currently understand govern it. Is the Big Bang rational, yes, just as much as God is rational - don't we see signs that point to the existence of both?

In the beginning, God said let there be light and there was light(Genesis 1:3). Now postulate for a moment those of you Christians who immediately deny the theory because it doesn't involve God. Think about what I just wrote... Now, those scientist out there, who deny God but believe in the universe and physics essentially say the same dang thing. There was nothing and then from and infinitesimally small point burst out a universe which they labeled the big bang. Can something come from nothing, according to the equations they support the model, but is our understanding of it all simply flawing the math? If scientists can believe something can come from nothing, then the topic of God shouldn't be that debatable either.

Personally I believe there was always something, but the question is what? Was it God or was it the most violent form of thermonuclear fusion ever conceived? Whatever the answer the question was is it rational, so the answer has to be yes.

• It DOES make sense

First of all: It was not a huge explosion. That is wrong and skewed. It was more of a rapid expansion from an infinitesimally small point. Secondly, It didn't just "make 8 planets in a perfect shape". This took millions of years, with gravitational forces pulling the planets into their shapes. Also, I consider it funny that the big bang theory was CREATED BY A CHRISTIAN.

• 'False' and 'irrational' are not the same thing.

If something is irrational, that means it's not based on logic or reason. If you think the Big Bang Theory is false, cool, you're entitled to your opinion. I don't know enough about it to say it's true or false. However, the theory is based on scientific evidence, calculations and theories, and thus based on logic and reason. It is not irrational by any means.

• And then there was light

The big bang theory is another way, based on observed evidence (what little there is of it) of saying the same thing that the creation story says. Was there an immaterial being that orchestrated it? The big bang theory does not exclude the possibility of a god. It just doesn't put god centre stage. It just describes what processes MAY have been involved in the event. Both the BBT and creation stories from many cultures say something began from nothing. What was the 'nothing' that came before? Dark matter? The spirit world? The void? That which does not register on our sense organs and instruments? Two hundred years ago if asked what was in a glass ofwater we would say 'nothing, just water'. Now we know it has countless bacteria and many minerals in it and is made from hydrogen and oxygen. That's a lot of nothing, Yet we could still accurately claim a glass of water is nothing but a glass of water.

• The Big Bang Theory is not rational

I don't find it rational at all that, supposedly, EVERYTHING came from NOTHING. How does that work? Also, if there was nothing in the first place, then what was there to start a reaction, or cause an explosion. Please don't make your answer 'We are working on it' because that doesn't cut the mustard.

• Dosent add up

If you think about an explosion, you would think total chaos and destruction. I cant see how an explosion could create 8 perfectly aligned planets that form an orbit around the sun and how it made earth, a planet the perfect distance from the sun so its not too hot and not too cold. And how it created all the other galaxys not just ours.

• Most Certainly Not

First, I would only consider it rational because it is accepted by science. However, how rational is science really?
    Second, it makes no sense. I have actually done some research on the topic, and according to scientists, before everything was here, only energy was. Now, energy could cause an explosion or some sort of inflation thing, but no matter was present. The Law of Conservation of Energy states that energy is neither created nor destroyed. However, nothing about that states that energy can makes matter. How could we go from energy (not tangible) to matter (tangible)? It makes no sense! Then again, so does some science.

• There was nothing then an explosion

This really makes no sense, whats basically being said was that an explosion that was so big it created the universe somehow didn't, you know, destroy it too. That's like saying that if you were to blow up the rubble of a building then it would turn into a nice luxurious palace. That makes no sense at all!

• Neither this nor creation makes a lot of sense.

Lets face it people, In this theory, everything comes from something that was just there, and in creation, god was just there. I am a christian, and i believe in creation, but its about faith, as its hard to find evidence that supports either theory. Basically, you have to accept what you think makes the most sense. But in my view, the big bang theory does not make sense.

• Cause yes dawg

Cause j j j hv h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h h

• Doesn't add up

How was the big bang possible if there was nothing before it. The Bible says that in the beginning, God made the world and it was good. If there was nothing in the first place, how was there an explosion. It is proven that it takes 2 or more elements to cause an explosion and you are saying that something exploded from nothing? WAKE UP AMERICA!

• No it was disproved

In 2015, this year, a study was done at CERN in Switzerland which basically debunked the big bang theory and offered a new idea of the rainbow gravity theory. Basically the rainbow gravity theory is the idea that the universe was never created and has always existed. There is a lot of energy that proves this. For example, people have said that there wasn't enough energy for it to take place, however before the universe expanded with the rainbow gravity theory it was much denser, and would therefore have enough energy. This also explains black holes, which never really fit in with the big bang theory. The theory basically ties together the general relativity theory and quantum mechanics. This is being proved with great success by the Large Hadron Collider in Switzerland.

If this question was meant to go in a different direction and ask if I believe in creationism, then a much simpler answer is no.

• Doesn't add up..

In reference to the argument about how the universe could have resulted from a "combustion of hydrogen molecules". Your argument is void once you make the statement that there was nothing in space to begin with. So if there was absolutely nothing and then boom there was something, question is , How can something come from nothing? Logical answer is that it can't. If that was the case explain to me why we have never seen something appear in thin air out of nothing? A cheeseburger just does not poof and appear, it was created and designed by an intelligent life form. (Hint Hint) Logic dictates that something (or anything for that fact) cannot appear when there was nothing from it to come.

reissalvin1998 says2015-05-20T18:08:03.297
Ironically, the theory was first developed by a PRIEST (who was also a scientist). Now everyone is raging about it.