Is the bread and wine dispensed during holy communion really transformed into the body and blood of Christ?

Asked by: YesNoMaybeSo
  • Yes Yes Yes!

First of all, it's our tradition, our Catholic faith. Second is, please don't mind the way we believe God. Can't you just leave us alone, Protestants? You are just the barriers of our faith. And lastly, kindly don't take our tradition LITERALLY? Because that makes you all Protestants so dumb and judgmental! One thing, I'm so sorry for what I've said but please stop asking us with your nonsense mindless questions! May God loves us all equally!

• Spiritually speaking yes!

I think the question asked is being taken a little to literally. The concept of body, blood and covenant goes way back before the days of Jesus. In early human history in the Mesopotamia region, when two people made an agreement. It was customary to meet with one another with a your best animal, typically a lamb or a goat. The purpose of this animal is that each animal was sacrificed and half the animal, typically a lamb or goat was given to the person you were making an agreement with, aka (covenant / contract). The other half being offered as a burnt blood sacrament. In doing this, you were entering into a contract or covenant with God(s) as a witness. It was important you brought a healthy animal because if you brought a diseased animal as it would likely blow the contract negotiations. Remember, the other party takes have the animal to feed there family. This breaking of bread and drinking of wine is nothing more than metaphor that was understood as such in these days. It was understood the taking of this communion was entering into a covenant between you and Christ using bread and wine symbolically.

• That is impossible

I don't think it's possible for the bread and wine to be transformed into the body and blood of Christ for a couple of reasons. First, because the bread and wine have none of the properties of flesh and blood. Second, because even if the bread and wine became flesh and blood, they couldn't be the flesh and blood of Christ since they were never physically a part of Christ. At best, the flesh and blood that resulted might be a replica of the actually flesh and blood of Christ, but they wouldn't actually be his.

• No but it depends on the level meant.

If by body and blood are meant the physical elements of the human body, then of course there is no evidence that this happens during the sacrament of communion. However, in the symbolic and energetic sense of life, which is probably the root of all reality, that may truly be so.

• Now, thats a novel idea

No it does not get transformed in anyway, for the simple reason that it is impossible to transmute even one element into another, so bread to body and blood to wine would be impossible as well. I think a more interesting question would be whether taking the communion is akin to cannibalism, if it is meant to be the blood and body of Christ. Here comes my opinion question. :)

• No. I hope you're joking.

Really? Wine is wine. Bread is bread. No matter what bread or wine you eat, it is still bread and it's still wine. So no. It does not turn into human flesh and blood once you eat and drink it. This would not make sense if food turned into different things when you eat them.