Is the call to eliminate gluten from the diet an overblown response to celiac disease?

• Yes, eliminating gluten is overhyped.

I definitely think that the call to eliminate gluten from the diet is an overblown response to celiac disease. I think that more research needs to be done to make sure that such a strategy can actually help people to prevent a disease first. There is way too much of an emphasis on it.

• Here here! Go fellow celiacs

I have celiac, if I ate gluten for the rest of my life, my life would end in a few months. Celiacs CAN NOT EAT GLUTEN! And never, ever, tease someone about having celiac, it will not go over well. It's not like it is our fault, so don't give us a hard time.

• It has been properly researched.

Celiac disease is no joke and can greatly effect people that are afflicted with the disease. There has been a lot of research on this subject and every conclusion has said that the best way to live a healthy lifestyle with this disease is to consume no gluten, so it is not overblown at all.

• Not overblown at all.

If you are one of the thousands of people who suffer with celiac disease, you are fully in favor of removing gluten from your diet and from many of the products in grocery stores. The symptoms of celiac disease are so severe that they disrupt and interfere with the quality of a persons life. Based on the relief provided by eliminating gluten, I would not refer to this as an overblown response, but a necessary one.

• They can help themselves.

No, the call to eliminate gluten from the diet is not an overblown response to celiac disease, because if a person has itchy eyes and watery eyes, along with a runny nose, they should avoid the things that they think are causing those problems. If that is gluten, by all means, avoid it.