Is the Campaign to Fix the Debt movement legitimate?

• No, the USA isn't broke.

The USA is broke, but first, lets go to the middle east and single handedly pay to fix their problems. Even though all the people we are supposedly helping want us out. We can't afford to be the worlds military, WE ARE BROKE. I have no problem with being a part, but the countries of the area need to take the lead militarily and financially. The recent actions of ISIS are sad, but they are having the needed effects. Jordan is stepping up after their pilot is burned alive. Egypt is stepping up after 21 of their Christians were beheaded. This is what is needed.

• Yes – It will take compromise on both sides

In September of this year, we surpassed $16 trillion dollars in national debt. Yet, as we continue to see on television, our current Congress and President cannot seem to come to an agreement on how to address the problem. One side does not want to raise the tax rates while the other side does not want to make any cuts to entitlements. What is lacking is a true desire to compromise. The question at hand is whether the campaign to address the national debt is legitimate. In no uncertain terms, the answer is yes. But the politicians and the president need to set aside their egos and work to reach a compromise that entails both a small increase in the tax rate and cuts to entitlements. A survey of 19 countries mired in debt issues shows that a series of cuts in spending in addition to slight increases in taxes will help the economy recover faster than just one or the other. By setting aside their egos, the politicians in Washington D.C. will better serve the people of this country, regardless of their political affiliation.

• Yes Obama can get it done

The only thing holding him back is the Republican lead congress, I believe we can balance the budget Americans do it every single day in their own lives.

Our elected officials can get it done if they stop playing politics for a day or two sit down with each other and work on the issues at hand, the debt can be fixed but Mr. Boehner needs to step up to the plate to work not just say no.

• No--something feels off about this campaign

Maybe it's my cynical nature about these large "movements" that have been going around these past few years, but this campaign reeks of the same type of double speak and neutral naming that is a front for partisan ideals. Any time you hear something named "National commission on fiscal responsibility and reform," or anytime an organization has to loudly proclaim it's "bipartisan," it causes me to wonder why they are making such a big issue about it. This organization looks good at first blush, I wouldn't be surprised in any way if it turns out to be an arm for either a fringe conservative or fringe liberal group that is trying to push an extreme agenda.

That being said, this deficit is an extremely important issue. However, don't we elect people to government to deal with just this thing? And did we not have a balanced budget at the beginning of this century? The idea that just 12 short years ago we were in a great situation financially tells me that this movement is going at it in the wrong way. Maybe we should be focusing on what is causing the deficit, rather than saying things like "we need to compromise." This entire movement rubs me the wrong way.

• No, I believe the group is mostly a front for conservatives.

As I understand it, this is not a truly bipartisan organization, although they got a few Democrats to sign onto it. If you look at the money trail, it is essentially a conservative lobbying group that is mostly using the debt debate in order to get their fiscal policies enacted in a way that people will tolerate.