• The Mary Question

The second commandment says that graven images should not be worshipped. Most catholic churches have a statue representing Mary; the virgin of Guadalupe picture is worshipped. Most catholic ceromonies place Mary first. The last depiction that I saw showed Jesus at the feet of Mary. Mary is described by the Catholic Church as Mediatrix. These are things that I don't read in the bible.

• Brainwashed

Nothing like using guilt, suppression and fear to keep them in the fold. Nothing like hiding under the catholic hood...molesting children and then making excuses or turning a blind eye. The Catholic religion talks about birth control...tell you what, we will send all unwanted babies to your doorstep for you to raise for the next 18 years. How sad and pathetic.

• The Pope and Vatican publicly state that they are the leaders of a cult - the Catholic Church

Lumen Gentium - the Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Church, Solemnly Promulgated by His Holiness Pope Paul VI on November 21, 1964, calls itself a cult, using that word cult, 7 times. The Catholic Church calls itself a cult. Its daily practices include altars, robes, eating of human flesh, drinking of human blood, rituals, virgins, virginal conception, and on and on. A Catholic priest is required to refuse communion to anyone that does not truly believe that the communion bread is the body of the human Christ and that the communion wine is the blood of human Christ. The Catholic Church is definitely a cult and it calls itself a cult many times in its own Constitution.

• Yes, all organized religions are cults

Catholics, along with all other major organized religions are cults. The fact that they are more accepted by mainstream culture does not change the fact that they require their members to believe outlandish fairy tales and hand over their own personal responsibility to an imaginary being. The leaders of the church are secretive and expect their followers to believe their preaching on faith alone. Sounds a lot like a cult to me. Every Sunday those good Catholics go and drink the kool-aid (wine and bread).

• yes, the Catholic Church is like a cult

The Catholic Church is like a cult. It is steeped in rituals and beliefs that go back to days that our culture does not even understand. It insists that its members follow a set of rigid beliefs that are determined by a higher authority that is not at all in touch with the world of today. Much of what happens in the Vatican and throughout the authorities of the church is cloaked in secrecy. The followers of the Catholic religion mostly consists of people living in poverty while the church has outrageous displays of wealth. I don't think the average Catholic considers himself to be a member of a cult, but the authorities in the Catholic church do behave as if they are a cult.

• Verses to prove Catholic is a Cult

"Holy Mother" is no where found in the Bible, and yet on the contrary, Mary is considered regular, normal person as you and me.

Mat 12:48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? And who are my brethren?
    Jesus clearly declared that Mary who was his earthy mother remained as normal person.

Catholics tend to move up the status of Bible Characters. Mary was one of them, and all the apostle or disciples are the others, they are saints in Catholics mind. That is fine to call them saints, but to worship them is "no, no", Some people said that they are NOT worshiping them, but praying to them for "guidance", again, this is not how it was taught in the Bible. Praying to them is still a NO NO! Simple as that in the Lord's prayer.

We pray to the father as taught by Jesus.

Mat 6:9 After this manner therefore pray ye. Our Father who art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. ....

Additional book or extra authority

Deu 4:2 Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish from it, that ye may keep the commandments of Jehovah your God which I command you.

Deu 12:32 What thing soever I command you, that shall ye observe to do: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.

Rev 22:18 I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, if any man shall add unto them, God shall add unto him the plagues which are written in this book:

Okay, those seven books were taken away from Protestants may be controversial to some Catholics. When you look at the context of the whole Bible (regardless you add those seven books or not), MARY IS not a Holy MOTHER at all. By making her a godly person, it is simply against the teaching of the Bible.

1Sa 2:2 There is none holy as Jehovah; For there is none besides thee, Neither is there any rock like our God.

• Statues, Additional books, Authority are evidence that Catholics may be cult

There are three things I noticed that Catholics could well be a cult.
    First two points may be debatable by Catholics

1. Statues - You get in Catholic church, you see idols all over, not just image of Jesus, but Mary, and all the saints! I was told that they were not idols, but just reminder just like Protestant put cross in the center of the church. However, to me, "Mary" as Holy mother is no where written in the new testament (same testament as Catholic bible), plus you see a statue of her, that is definitely totally against teaching of the Bible. (Thou should not worship other images but me)

2. Additional Books - There were seven books added to the Bible, well, Catholics argued that Protestant took away them from Catholics, well particularly in old testament. Well, tell me, since new testaments are the same as protestant Christians, then why Mary as "Holy Mother"? I went to Catholic church once and they emphasized Mary as "first Christian". But there is no way you can crown her as "Holy Mother"

3. Authority - Bible is the only authority, this is agreed by both Catholic and Protestant, then tell me why Catholics need a "Pope"? And seems like whatever the Pope said, the Catholics must follow. Gay marriage is one of the things the latest Pope leans on. Now tell me, who is the authority? God, the Bible, or the Pope.

As a result, I see Catholic definitely a cult!

• Yes, it is

They teach things that are not in the bible. They created Christmas, which was never created with Jesus in mind. They just wanted to keep people from leaving. It says in the bible that you cannot create images of things from heaven above or down below, yet they say it is okay because they are not worshipping it. A cult teaches falsities that do not match up with the bible. The Catholic Church does just that. I am glad that I now see the truth, and will proudly say I am Christian, not Catholic. If only there was a way out, as the above poster said.

• Yes it is a cult

It may not have started out that way but it is so corrupt and immoral there is no other word for it. The church and all its institutions are seeking nothing but power and have warped the original teachings of the church to oppress others for their sick pleasure. Sick

• Catholic is definitely a cult!

Catholic removed the 2nd commandment which the Almighty God wrote with HIS own hand. This counterfeit gospel will only produce counterfeit salvation. Most everything the Catholic teaches contradict the Bible. Jesus can never be confined in the Catholic church nor in the mass they practice. They are preaching a different Jesus. They are the Harlot sitting on the beast in Revelation 17. The Catholic is NOT the true bride of Jesus; which is why Jesus called her a harlot. Rev 18; 4 says "...Come out of her...". Hitler was a Catholic and he said he was just carrying on the same policy which the Catholic church had adopted...Perhaps he was doing Christianity a great service by killing the Jews. Faith in Jesus is the only way to God the Father. Any other teaching is heresy.

• No it is not.

Its corrupt now, I admit , but it is no where near a cult. The foundation of the church was founded by saints who followed Jesus Christ himself, no way is this a cult. Come on people. Yes, it is corrupt and yes many of the priests have done wrong but not all, people still make mistakes, we're only human, even the holy sin. I believe the Revelation will come soon and the church shows signs of evil controlling the church, but its "true" purpose is for good, not evil.

• No, the Catholic Church is not a cult.

The Catholic Church cannot be considered a cult. There are certain criteria that qualify a religious group as cult like in nature, and the Catholic Church simply does not qualify. The Church does not solicit people directly to join their ranks. There is no pressure in looking into becoming a Catholic.

• No it is not.

The Catholic Church is a denomination of the Christian Church. It follows a set of doctrines that its members choose to follow, just like any other church. Christianity would have not survived the dark age without the Catholic church. I think that their traditions can be misunderstood as "cultish," but they are only traditions that people shouldn't get so excited over.

• Not at all.

Of course the Catholic Church is not a cult. Members of the Church are allowed to live their lives how they want to live them, minus some small guidelines that it is their choice to follow or not follow. Some churches are open to all different types of people. They do not ask you to change who you are to join. They also do not brainwash people, steal peoples money, or force people to commit suicide which are common traits of cults.

• Not a Cult

Since Christianity was born from the Jewish religion.
    The Jews claim that our Bible is the adulterated version of their Torah.
    Where deleting a certain part from the Scripture is concerned, there's no authenticity to it being the 100% pure version of the Torah.
    If that's the case, i guess all of us are in to Cultism..

• It's not a Cult

Why would it be a cult? Firstly, there are flaws in every denomination. Where Catholicism is concerned it's one of the oldest.
    As far as praying to Mary or the Saints are concerned. Don't non-Catholics pray to Jesus. Where in the Bible does Jesus say pray to me i'm God. He does say that he's the truth and the light. So we should conclude our prayer in his name. When his disciple asked him to teach them how to pray, he taught them the Lord Prayer which was Our Father in heaven, not God the Son is heaven. Judging is not permitted in the Bible, what's wrong or right, that's for God to decide so we can leave it up to him..
    If we can call Catholicism a cult, i guess when Jews call Christianity a cult, they are not wrong.

• No! It is absolutely NOT a cult!

Don't just base your beliefs about Catholicism from anti-Catholic websites/people. Ask a Catholic, not a website. I'm a Catholic, and have been since birth. It is very traditional. We do not worship statues or Mary or the saints - instead, we pray to them for guidance. I have nothing against anyone, but please, get your facts straight. We don't believe you "fall" from grace and must be saved over and over again. Jesus died for EVERYONE. He defeated sin once and for all - for EVERYONE and for ever! Pope Fracis is a godly man. Yes, some popes weren't so godly. Catholicism has over 1 billion people worldwide. It does seem like we worship idols. WE DO NOT. Look up the Nicene Creed - it has everything that Catholics believe. God bless.

• I am a Catholic myself and it isn't a cult

We do not believe in cult practices, in fact to Catholics it is a sin. During a sacrament called confirmation all Catholics get to accept or reject the faith. I have seen many people who are not Catholic attending mass. We believe in good and being kind, we are kind to others most of the time. We aren't controlled, we CHOOSE to be Catholic, And my best friend does not go to mass every Sunday because her family doesn't have enough time, so no they don't EXPECT you to come to church every Sunday they WANT you to. And if the story is true about the baby then shame on those people who decided that because I assure you we are not a cult.

• No its not.

If they love and worship Jesus Christ and believe and are baptized calling on the name of the lord they are saved. Yes it is a bigger church but its no cult. They don't worship marry they ask for her to pray for them . I am church of Christ.

• No, By Definition

By definition, the Catholic Church is not a cult. A cult is defined as a religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader. The Catholic Church is a collective of approximately 1.2 billion people worldwide from variant cultures, while led by the Pope of Rome, remain with a conscience clause that allows from individual decision. Degrees of participation vary. A cult also involves a nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease or personal problem, yet no such exclusive claim is made, and the Catholic Church, historically, has provided financial support to scientists, and formed what is now the modern university or academic institution. A cult includes an obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing, yet the Catholic Church requires not such obsession. In a cult, the group of persons is exclusive, as opposed to inclusive, as with the Catholic Church, and while the cult shares an single specific esoteric interest, the Catholic Church embodies a variety of global interests.