• The Mary Question

The second commandment says that graven images should not be worshipped. Most catholic churches have a statue representing Mary; the virgin of Guadalupe picture is worshipped. Most catholic ceromonies place Mary first. The last depiction that I saw showed Jesus at the feet of Mary. Mary is described by the Catholic Church as Mediatrix. These are things that I don't read in the bible.

• Brainwashed

Nothing like using guilt, suppression and fear to keep them in the fold. Nothing like hiding under the catholic hood...molesting children and then making excuses or turning a blind eye. The Catholic religion talks about birth control...tell you what, we will send all unwanted babies to your doorstep for you to raise for the next 18 years. How sad and pathetic.

• The Pope and Vatican publicly state that they are the leaders of a cult - the Catholic Church

Lumen Gentium - the Dogmatic Constitution of the Catholic Church, Solemnly Promulgated by His Holiness Pope Paul VI on November 21, 1964, calls itself a cult, using that word cult, 7 times. The Catholic Church calls itself a cult. Its daily practices include altars, robes, eating of human flesh, drinking of human blood, rituals, virgins, virginal conception, and on and on. A Catholic priest is required to refuse communion to anyone that does not truly believe that the communion bread is the body of the human Christ and that the communion wine is the blood of human Christ. The Catholic Church is definitely a cult and it calls itself a cult many times in its own Constitution.

• Yes, all organized religions are cults

Catholics, along with all other major organized religions are cults. The fact that they are more accepted by mainstream culture does not change the fact that they require their members to believe outlandish fairy tales and hand over their own personal responsibility to an imaginary being. The leaders of the church are secretive and expect their followers to believe their preaching on faith alone. Sounds a lot like a cult to me. Every Sunday those good Catholics go and drink the kool-aid (wine and bread).

• yes, the Catholic Church is like a cult

The Catholic Church is like a cult. It is steeped in rituals and beliefs that go back to days that our culture does not even understand. It insists that its members follow a set of rigid beliefs that are determined by a higher authority that is not at all in touch with the world of today. Much of what happens in the Vatican and throughout the authorities of the church is cloaked in secrecy. The followers of the Catholic religion mostly consists of people living in poverty while the church has outrageous displays of wealth. I don't think the average Catholic considers himself to be a member of a cult, but the authorities in the Catholic church do behave as if they are a cult.

• "Offer it up", Communion MUST contain 0.01% gluten to be "valid matter", Pope and his "helpers" (Cardinals) live in luxury

How often has a Roman Catholic heard the EXCUSE "offer it up" when complaining about being treated poorly or even abusively by the hierarchy? The "religious" (nuns and priests) are treated and seen as better and choosing the narrow way compared to seculars. Only the priestly class can properly interpret the bible. Seculars have to seek forgiveness thru priests. One can not talk directly with God on their own.

• Yes it is like a cult

The Catholics church uses fear of going to hell to control the followers if the church to follow there man made rules. They ask for donations and expect you to come to mass every Sunday. There was a case in witch a woman was denied proper care in a catholic hospital because she was pregnant and not married, the child died.

• Always Instills fear

The truth simply is.... It needs no teaching of it. Life itself will guide. Any institution limits the individuality of the heart & mind to be freely discovered & expressed. The church, any denomination is an institution which ultimately distorts, & confuses the truth of what reality actually is. That's it.

• I think it is

Just doing my own research into the subject I have seen so much of it made by man and contradictory of the book it views as the word of god. Praying to anything other than god (Saints, Mary) I feel is a great triumph for satan and the fact that it is done in god's name makes it all the more sweeter for him. We have numerous examples of how things get messed up when we (Humans) start taking matters into our own hands. We as humans are fallible including popes, priests...Not matter who you are. When you add great amounts of wealth and living in a lavish castle known as the Vatican to the mix it really seems incredibly un Christ-like.

I do really like what our current pope Francis has been saying lately and feel he could potentially be the start of something really good. But the day when the Vatican sells their fancy garments, sells their fancy castle, gives that money to the millions of people starting around world and starts living like Jesus did...That is when I will see them differently.

• Worse than a cult to me

I feel it's worse than a cult because it masquerades under the banner of Christ. They seem to pray and worship everyone but Christ as I understand it. There is no need at all for a mediator between yourself and Christ, that is a personal relationship 100%. They take the word and try to add to it and distort it to create a hierarchy, and use distractions to take the focus off the most important part … Jesus his message and the sacrifice. Man cannot add to Gods word. I am by no means trying to condemn the Catholic people, I love them like Christ told me too, he says to love everyone. It does hurt my heart seeing so many people lead astray by a false message under Christ name. He did warn us of these false teachings, and also told us to use discernment when your eternal soul’s at stake. I’ve been looking into this very heavy lately and was shocked to find out how many “Christians” aren’t following Christ. The Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Catholics. I haven’t looked into the “official” Protestant doctrine yet, but I’m almost scared too. I attend a Pentecostal church, they preach close to what Jesus tells my heart, but I would never say “Pentecostal is the only real church”, or “Pentecostal is the way”, I believe Jesus is the way, and all these denominations do is take focus off the point . I’m not saying what I believe is right, because it’s about Jesus and YOU alone. When you try to add too Jesus’s message it causes a problems. Even though I think the Catholic Church teaches a false message, I do hope a few find Jesus through that path. I know I would hate to find out the church I followed turned out to be wrong, but I would rather suffer that humiliation then to never find Christ at all.

• No it is not.

Its corrupt now, I admit , but it is no where near a cult. The foundation of the church was founded by saints who followed Jesus Christ himself, no way is this a cult. Come on people. Yes, it is corrupt and yes many of the priests have done wrong but not all, people still make mistakes, we're only human, even the holy sin. I believe the Revelation will come soon and the church shows signs of evil controlling the church, but its "true" purpose is for good, not evil.

• No, the Catholic Church is not a cult.

The Catholic Church cannot be considered a cult. There are certain criteria that qualify a religious group as cult like in nature, and the Catholic Church simply does not qualify. The Church does not solicit people directly to join their ranks. There is no pressure in looking into becoming a Catholic.

• No it is not.

The Catholic Church is a denomination of the Christian Church. It follows a set of doctrines that its members choose to follow, just like any other church. Christianity would have not survived the dark age without the Catholic church. I think that their traditions can be misunderstood as "cultish," but they are only traditions that people shouldn't get so excited over.

• No! It is absolutely NOT a cult!

Don't just base your beliefs about Catholicism from anti-Catholic websites/people. Ask a Catholic, not a website. I'm a Catholic, and have been since birth. It is very traditional. We do not worship statues or Mary or the saints - instead, we pray to them for guidance. I have nothing against anyone, but please, get your facts straight. We don't believe you "fall" from grace and must be saved over and over again. Jesus died for EVERYONE. He defeated sin once and for all - for EVERYONE and for ever! Pope Fracis is a godly man. Yes, some popes weren't so godly. Catholicism has over 1 billion people worldwide. It does seem like we worship idols. WE DO NOT. Look up the Nicene Creed - it has everything that Catholics believe. God bless.

• I am a Catholic myself and it isn't a cult

We do not believe in cult practices, in fact to Catholics it is a sin. During a sacrament called confirmation all Catholics get to accept or reject the faith. I have seen many people who are not Catholic attending mass. We believe in good and being kind, we are kind to others most of the time. We aren't controlled, we CHOOSE to be Catholic, And my best friend does not go to mass every Sunday because her family doesn't have enough time, so no they don't EXPECT you to come to church every Sunday they WANT you to. And if the story is true about the baby then shame on those people who decided that because I assure you we are not a cult.

• No its not.

If they love and worship Jesus Christ and believe and are baptized calling on the name of the lord they are saved. Yes it is a bigger church but its no cult. They don't worship marry they ask for her to pray for them . I am church of Christ.

• No, By Definition

By definition, the Catholic Church is not a cult. A cult is defined as a religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader. The Catholic Church is a collective of approximately 1.2 billion people worldwide from variant cultures, while led by the Pope of Rome, remain with a conscience clause that allows from individual decision. Degrees of participation vary. A cult also involves a nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease or personal problem, yet no such exclusive claim is made, and the Catholic Church, historically, has provided financial support to scientists, and formed what is now the modern university or academic institution. A cult includes an obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing, yet the Catholic Church requires not such obsession. In a cult, the group of persons is exclusive, as opposed to inclusive, as with the Catholic Church, and while the cult shares an single specific esoteric interest, the Catholic Church embodies a variety of global interests.

• It is not

Simply because a few people mistakes make a human error doesn't mean the other billion Catholics are part of a cult. The Institution's message has always been good, and evil always tries to attack what is good every way it can(whether by corruption or causing people to make mistakes and then making people generalize on that institution). So no by no means is it a cult

• No, the church promotes good, just cause some people do wrong doesn't mean the other billion are wrong too.

Every argument stating it is hangs on to little details and faults that are based on Human Error. Whether You are Catholic or not The Catholic Church is fundamentally a place for doing Good. Evil will always attack what is good and so comes the scandals and corruption, but the fundamental message of the church is still to promote good and peace. Any corruption is not based on the institution but the doing of a human error.

• The Catholic Church is not a cult

The Church actually denounces cult practices as a mortal sin. Catholics are not brainwashed, they have the opportunity to accept or reject the Catholic faith at thte time of confirmation which is at the rational age of at least 12. It is not a secret society, anyone is welcome to enter a Catholic Church and attend Mass