Is the character of Sherlock Holmes in Doyle's tales a latent homosexual icon whose very existence and mannerisms paved the way for increasing acceptance of LGBT characters?

• Affectations of Holmes can be found in straight men.

The character of Sherlock Holmes in Doyle's tales is not a latent homosexual icon whose very existence and mannerisms paved the way for increasing acceptance of LGBT characters. There is nothing I have noticed in Doyle's writings that make Sherlock Holmes seem gay. Any affectations he has are those that will be occasionally found in a large population of straight men.

• I Don't Think So

I do not believe the character of Sherlock Holmes in Doyle's tales was a latent homosexual icon whose very existence and mannerisms paved the way for increasing acceptance of LGBT characters. I believe making such connections is pointless because it would require reading far too much into the books to actually reach those conclusions.

• No, I do not think Sherlock Holmes paved the way for the acceptance of LGBT characters.

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that Sherlock Holmes was a homosexual in any of Doyle's tales. Nor is there any evidence to suggest that Doyle wanted to portray him as such. I think that people will try to perceive different issues with their own biases regardless of how silly it is.

• No I don't think so.

I do not feel that the character of Sherlock Holmes in Doyle's tales a latent homosexual icon whose very existence and mannerisms paved the way for increasing acceptance of LGBT characters. There are all different types of people in books and I do not feel that Holmes is a homosexual, nor do I think it was Doyle's intent to pave the way for LGBT acceptance.

• Just a dectective

No, I think that Sherlock Holmes was just a classic character in literature, and he is not symbolic of the homosexuals at all. He is just as he appears, a very smart detective who is always a step ahead of others when they are trying to solve a mystery crime.