Is the economic slowdown the fault of dishonest financial institutions?

• It's not that simple.

I'm not quite sure that our present economic situation like most major politico-economic can be attributed to any one factor. I will not dispute that corruption, dishonesty, and fraudulence in banks, and other financial institutions most certainly contributed to the economic crisis we face today, but there are many other factors which contributed to it is well.

• It's not that simple.

• It certainly doesn't help

Big businesses have gotten so greedy! I am sure that the dishonesty has slowed us down quite a bit. We all need to survive out here, and all they worry about is how much extra they have versus what they need to be comfortable. We need to promote honesty and community, not top dog vs the underdog.

• Yes, financial instutions are responsible for almost every economic problem

Yes, the economic slowdown is the fault of dishonest financial institutions. Almost every economic problem our country faces can be traced back to financial institutions that lie and cheat and steal and have almost no culpability in regards to the law. Banks lend to people they shouldn't, take money from places they shouldn't and show nothing but contempt for the common man. They're rich, so what do they care?

• Banks will be our downfall

I believe that the economic slowdown can be attributed to dishonesty and greed in large financial institutions. I don't have any sort of problem with smaller institutions, but the big banks have the means and the power to do what they want when they want. With the ability to buy their way out of trouble, their dishonesty goes unchecked.

• Why bother with this opinion?

Simple problem - has anyone on this opinion defined financial institution or given examples of them being dishonest? It is a broad category after all. Has anyone on this opinion given a single example showing any negative impact on the economy? Nothing but ambiguity and platitudes. Our government impacts and distorts the economy in a way that no business could ever approach on size and scale. So we're left with ignorance, in economics and finance, who demonstrate nothing on the issue other banal assertions alluding to "greed," the "rich," etc. I shutter to think these people actually vote.

• No. the economic slowdown is not solely the fault of dishonest financial instiutions.

The economic slowdown cannot be blamed on one thing in particular. Dishonest financial institutions are only helping along a problem that is already there. If the economy was really doing well, there wouldn't be any reason for financial institutions to be dishonest. They are just fueling the fire and makin the economy worse but they are not the blame for it.