Is the electric chair an inhumane form of punishment when carrying out the death penalty?

• We're Beyond This

I'm against capital punishment in all forms, but this is a particularly gruesome method that sadly is still on the books in one of the most "developed" nations in the world. From day one, the electric chair has been a complete failure as far as being a humane and clean method of execution (an oxymoron in my opinion). The very first such execution was carried out on a man named William Kemmler in the year 1890. Kemmler required two jolts and minutes to die. The high current resulted in his body catching fire, and busting of the blood vessels in his face caused blood to stream from under the hood that covered his head. Spectators said it was "...Awful. Worse than a hanging." One man remarked: "They would have done better using an axe."

• Yes it's a waste of time.

I don't know why we just can't get it over with. Just get a gun and shoot the criminal in the head. That's it. What's so difficult about that. But No, we have to use all this SYFY crap to get the job done. . . . . . .