Is the existence of evil incompatible with the conception of God?

• Yes, due to the Unstable Triad of God

The existence of evil is incompatible with the christian God due to the unstable triad of God.
    The unstable triad dictates that evil and a benevolent god that is omnipotent cannot exist. God is said to be omnipotent and benevolent in the bible and yet evil does exist. Why is this impossible?
    Evil is a plague upon people and this assumes evils of all forms from natural evils (natural phenomena that disrupt lives) to human evils, it causes humans pains of many forms, something that humans fear all their lives.
    Surely, if god were benevolent he would rid the world of these sins to allow us to live in a Utopia, yet evil still exists. God has the ability as he is omnipotent but he does not do this. This must mean he is not benevolent.
    If he is not omnipotent than he could be benevolent and evil could exist as he is unable to do enough but he is theoretically benevolent.
    So then evil should not exist, yet it does which means one of the other possibilities must be incorrect.
    There are a few traditional arguments to this and a common one is that evil is necessary to make humans better people and allow us to face the challenges of life.
    The hole within this argument is that in a Utopia we would not need this preparation from evil if God could protect us. So why do we still face evil.
    There are other arguments which I shall not delve into now but welcome people to ask but in conclusion, if God was benevolent we would have Utopia but that does not exist and therefore the concept of God being compatible with evil.

• Assuming a benevolent god, yes.

Epicurus's argument is quite old, and yet it has never been answered in a particularly satisfactory manner by apologetics. The logical form of the argument is quite simple:
    1) An ominponent, omniscience, omnibenevolent God exists.
    2) An omnibenevolent God would desire to remove evil.
    3) An omniscient God would know how to remove evil.
    4) An omnibenevolent God would have the power to remove evil.
    5) Therefore, a God with all these qualities would have motive and capability to remove evil before it existed.
    6) Therefore, with such a God, there would be no evil.
    7) There is evil.
    8) Therefore, there is no God with the above characteristics.
    Speaking in terms of the majority of monotheistic religions, God is perceived as having all these traits. Therefore, evil should not exist.

• I think to some extent, yes.

I don't know if I believe in a Hell sometimes. I find the notion a little too abstract for me. But at the same time, I believe that there is evil in this world. One look at people like Hitler and it is impossible not to believe that evil is entirely real.

• It's possible God has a morally sufficient reason for evil

The only way the existence of evil can be incompatible with the existence of God is if there is a contradiction between the two. There is clearly no explicit contradiction between the two, and here is no formal contradiction either, so the only way they can contradict each other is implicitly. If there is some possible state of affairs in which both God and evil exist, then God and evil cannot have an implicit contradiction because if they DID have an implicit contradiction, then there would be no circumstances in which they could both exist. Since it is possible that there is a morally sufficient reason for evil, it follows that God and evil are compatible.

• God allows evil, for now. He didn't create it.

First, once we say "conception of God," that shows we have already created a god of our own preference. When humans are created with free will, God is giving them the option to choose whether to follow His will. In Christian belief, evil is very present on this earth, & God in His holiness can only bear it because of the sacrifice of Christ for believers. One day, says the Bible, all evil will be wiped away forever.

• No, the existence of evil is not incompatible with the concept of God.

People often struggle with God when it comes to evil befalling them. It is sad to see people lose their faith when it comes to these questions. God is about love and growth. How could an all-loving God allow evil to exist? The answer is no less painful, but the truth is that love and growth sometimes require death and sorrow. It may be hard to see sometimes, but we need to look at the bigger picture.

• God is not Omnipotent...

I think those who believe evil is incompatible with the conception of God have argued quite well. My argument will be in response to theirs.

According to Epicurus's argument, an omnipotent God would have the power to remove evil. First, let us define omnipotence as "the power to do all things which are logically possible." Feel free to disagree with this definition and postulate a new one. If we accept this definition, then there are certainly things which lie outside of God's power, namely logical impossibilities. Examples of these include the power or ability to create a "circular square," or what has been dubbed "The Paradox of the Stone," which asks, "Could an omnipotent being create a stone so heavy that even they could not lift it?" These questions offer the beginning of an exploration on logical impossibilities, and shed light on the problematic nature of defining omnipotence. If in accordance with these examples you accept that there are some things God "can't" do, the question then becomes what other things fall under the umbrella of "logical impossibility"? I believe that happiness and growth do not exist without opposition, and I believe that opposition necessitates evil. My response is getting long so I'll stop there. Feel free to message/respond with questions/objections.

• God is not the parent of evils

Philosopher and theologian St. Augustine said that evil is a result of free will. Humans he argues are rational creatures, and in order to be rational, one must possess freedom of will. And with freedom of will comes the capacity to choose, including the choice to act righteously or unrighteously.