Is the existence of extraterrestrial life plausible? (I believe it is, but I am curious of other peoples opinions.)

Asked by: Trentk2000
  • Possible, but implausible based on current data.

I do not deny the possibility of life elsewhere, but I find it unlikely. I believe God created the Universe in 6 days, and he certainly could have done anything, but considering we only really know the chemical composition of planets in ONE system, and all the rest are speculations based on models and what we have seen in shadows on telescopes and in only one marginally explored system, I think it's way too speculative to say we can be certain that Spock and Worf or space bacteria are out there. I see a lot of awe and possibilities "too big to question" on the Yes side of this poll.

• Most definitely ...

Our universe is expanding- see monty python song for more details- and as it expands there are galaxies forming, and as galaxies form so do stars and planets and moons. Our universe has created the most wonderful things, such as planets made of diamon- midnight anyone?- and holes in the very fabric of space-time- blackholes-. To say there is not a single cell of life out there is just foolish. I bet there are a billion billion different species that have risen to power and coquered planetary systems and fallen in a single day, and others that are just discovering the wheel or what ever suits their gravitational needs. I would bet you there is a system that has mutiple inhabitable planets, that have banded together to form a sort of allience. Oh the infinite possibilities of space. There might even be star-whales!

• Of course, but...

As I had put in the title, I do feel it is plausible. Between the vast amount of stars/celestial objects within the known universe, there is a likely chance that life exists. However, the bigger question is whether or not that life is intelligent. Also, would that life even require things that Earthly creatures need? (i.E: Oxygen, Water, Nitrogen, etc...)

• It's almost certain.

There's an estimated 170 billion galaxies within our observable universe alone. The observable universe excludes anything that we cannot see from Earth because it is so far away that it takes more than 13.7 billion light years to reach us. So there's likely even more galaxies than 170 billion. Each galaxy has an estimated 100 billion stars with each of them with more than a few planets orbiting those stars. These facts alone render the probability of extraterrestrial life almost certain. But, it may or may not be intelligent life in those cases, although the probability is still pretty high.

Skynet says2014-06-03T23:31:51.843
How did I end up voting yes and no? JUGGLE!