Is the fashion industry physically harmful to young adults?

Asked by: SarahWong
  • Yes, the fashion industry is very dangerous to young adults

The magazines are really killing kids. Anorexia and Bulimia are very dangerous diseases. The models get thinner every year. They do not even look healthy but they are considered the epitome of beauty and glamour. It reminds me of the Barbie doll, every girl wants to look like her but it is physically impossible. A computer scan done by a leading university revealed that to actually look like Barbie you would have to remove the liver, most of the intestines and half of the ribs.

• Photo Editing Can Hurt

The fashion industry uses photo editing to make the models fit the idea of "perfect". While I myself might enjoy going into the fashion industry someday I don't understand why they have to define perfect. That is something no industry can label yet they try too. The "perfect" women is this "perfect" formed body. No one is actually like that yet they edit them to fit the idea of perfect. It makes the expectation of "perfect" impossible for women to meet. It causes them to take drastic measures to be "perfect"

• We are blaming them for what we can't admit

We can't admit that we are the ones who have the perception of a 'perfect body' and therefore the fashion industry merely reflects what society wants. If people complain, and don't agree with thin models or photoshop then we should change ourselves as opposed to just pointing the blame. We need to change our attitudes, as body shaming thin people will get us no where! What happened to 'you're perfect the way you are' that means ALL sizes.

• Let's not be dumb!

People need to educate themselves a little more I say. We all need to understand that the models are usually airbrushed and some may even have their own insecurities. Why compare how you look to someone else let alone a model. Accept your self for who you are. And if you feel you need to loose or gain do it for your health and not your appearance. Its not the models fault for looking how they look. You need to accept your self for who you are.