Is the internet and social media causing teenagers and children to have less face-to-face contact?

• Yes being a 17-year old I have seen the changes due to social networking.

As a young girl, I remember having to knock on my friends door to ask if they where allowed to play. Every child in nearly every street used to be outside or at local parks all playing together. Now all they do is just message multiply people to see what they're doing and to plan things. They spend most of their time on their phones or computers because they think they have nothing better to do.

• Spend more time off the device

I have been doing a search on this for a while and am being cautious when I'm on my apps. It has taught me to be less into my apps and more into spending face-to-face time with my loved ones. People should become precautious in how much time they spend face to face with the person and how much is on a social device.

• The Internet and social media are engaging teenagers, unlike anything else.

Social Media is a "must have" for a teen in this modern society. Teenagers depend on social media for various information. Less face-to-face contact is what is happening. Communication over social media is quickly on the rise. Teens can plan more activities through social media and also talk to a larger amount of peers at once, using Internet and social media.

• This is considered modern

Social media was meant to make interacting "easier". By easier, I do not mean it would promote interacting. Think of it this way: When someone comes to you bawling and screaming about a problem, isn't it easier (or cleaner) to comfort them by just typing a few words than putting your arm around them and being sensitive about what you say? It requires less depth, therefore making it the more appealing choice. Studies show that many kids and teenagers choose this option over face-to-face conversations. I am not saying this is an improvement. We should be excited about the relationships we have with other human beings, this is just a negative side of social media. Also observe how the more kids and teens use the internet and social media, the more socially-awkward they become, thus proving said internet and media promote themselves. A recent poll displayed most people use social media because it, "helps shy and lonely people make new friends."

• The Internet Is Causing Teens And Children To Have Less Face-To-Face Conversations!

I think the Internet is causing teens and kids to have less face-to-face conversations because instead of talking face-to-face they are instead using technology to communicate and they are also developing poor spelling due to spell-check and poor social skills due to not talking in person. Overall, children and teens should lower how much communication they do through technology.

• Voicing my Opinion.

As a teen, 16, I know that for me I have trouble talking to people face-to-face. But when it comes to the Internet I am more likely to express or voice my opinion on certain topics. And as a teen who has grown up in the Internet Era; I was taught that as I got older I would not need to know as much face-to-face conversations, because with the Internet I would have my own time to talk with people, I had time to think about my actions, and how I would say them. That I would be able to talk with people who had the same opinion as me, even if they were a 1000 miles away. So , yes I admit that teens in this era are not as capable of having face-to-face conversations, but I also feel that it is not as needed, I am not saying we don't need it at all, but I do feel it is not as needed.

• Texting

All that children do nowadays is being glued to their phones or their laptops talking to friends and won't get off them unless you tell them to! Also when you see kids in the streets hanging out with each other you just see them standing them on their phones texting instead of actually talking to each other!

• I have seen more and more young people pay more attention to their texting than talking to the people they are with.

I have noticed that young people are more and more involved in texting and other social media activities at the expense of real life engagement with people that are there at the time. That is a terrible side effect where we lose contact with people trying to keep in contact with others.

Posted by: ddeathnote
  • Kids just text nowadays, and there is no face-to-face communication anymore, nor are there any phone calls made or received by them.

Look at the cell phone plans today. They heavily support texting heavily and, with most teen users, the texts outnumber the calls. Most kids are even texting in the wee hours of the morning, when they wouldn't be able to call.

Posted by: RabidSean44
  • The Internet makes it easy to avoid physical contact by providing easy and fast communication.

The social awkwardness of being in person, having to make eye contact, and manage our nervous twitches, is eradicated by the Internet and it's ability to de-personalize interactions made with other people. If we can pretend that whoever we're talking to or seeing is just an image or words on a screen, it makes it simpler to say what we want and ignore social boundaries.

Posted by: BigRoderick
  • When push comes to shove, face-to-face interaction stands firm

I will say that the Internet and social media is allowing more interaction in various ways other than face-to-face. However, education still forces human interaction for teenagers and children. Occupations still force interaction between adults. The Internet and social media are creating new forms of interaction but, in no way are they taking away or causing face-to-face interaction to recede or decline.

• I disagree that social media and the Internet have caused teens to have less face-to-face contact, because social media now gives people more ways to connect and find out about events.

I disagree that social media and the Internet have caused teens to have less face-to-face contact, because social media now gives people more ways to connect and find out about events. I have teenagers, and they often use social media such as Facebook on their cell phones as a way to find out about events that are happening in our area. I think social media is a great way to stay connected.

Posted by: TypicalWilton37
  • It depends on the situation

Being a teenager myself I know that texting and using social media does take up a lot of my life, however, the other day a friend was really upset about something but couldn't explain what was wrong over text so I went to see her to talk about it. It's things like this that you can't use social media and texting for.

• It depends on the person

I agree that there are several people who mass text and whatnot, but I think a lot of people will learn or have learned that face to face interaction is more real than otherwise.

I have some friends I work with who socialize online, and the majority of those people socialize quit a bit offline, too. Still, there is the one introvert who refuses to do stuff outside of her bubble and does all of her socializing other than at work, online.

I used to only socialize online, with people I didn't know. At least, until I figured out the dangers and the fact that most people who talk to you online aren't really your friend. You're just a "casual" acquaintance to them, and most wouldn't want anything to do with you in real life. Tea and stalker are real. I had them, and when one ended up dead on the news, it scared the life out of me

I came out and now I value in person interaction over online.

• Though quality should come before quantity

I just did a research project and those who text/social networking more often had more face to face interactions than those who didn't. internet and social media is simply a tool to stay connected with others. We need to base such statements about behaviors from evidence based data. Though quality should come before quantity

• The internet and social media do not prevent children and teens from having face-to-face contact with each other. They are communication channels only, and children and teens still have the same opportunities for contact as before.

The internet and social media get a lot of the blame for children and teens not engaging in face-to-face dialogue as much as in the past. However, these are communication channels that actually enable young users to interact with each other in real time and with fewer restrictions than previous technology permitted. If children and teens are spending less time together in person, it is up to the parents to ensure their children spend time away from electronic devices engaged in social interactions.

Posted by: ElfinDamien34
  • The Internet and social media bring more people together than they keep apart.

Most kids do meet in person with their friends to hang out and do things. If anything, I believe the Internet and social media bring kids together from far away places that otherwise would not have had the opportunity to meet.

Posted by: MarsBIue
  • It is my experience that the Internet and social media have only added to young people's social life.

Young people are able to stay connected because of the Internet and social media. Since many of them move frequently with their parents, the Internet has allowed them to stay connected with their friends so they may still arrange to visit and socialize.

Posted by: TangyHarry36
  • NO, it goes both ways

Just because technology has advanced, teens still contact each other face to face. However, it does decrease the contact because you have social cites, Face time, and iPhones or iPads. But it falls back on the parents not the children. If parents removed these objects face to face contact would increase.

• Minors still are required to attend school.

In the days before internet, there undoubtedly were some children who did not go out in play for various reasons. Be it that they did not have friends. Be it that their parents or guardians were abusive and would not allow them. Be it that they simply did not want to and devoted their time to studying, reading, drawing, writing, or some other interior-based activity. In the pre-internet era, attending school was the bare minimum for social interaction and it remains that way today.