• Yes it is.

The citizens of the locality can control their city governments with more influence. Direct democracy is a common feature among local government. More services could be run by the Government (Health care, education, roads, welfare, strong law enforcement), so that means a better public infrastructure. Small businesses would flourish in a local, community-based world. Big business would not have as much influence.

• Let's Go Local.

My preference goes to the local food as I was born, brought up and have survived all these years with local delicacies spiced up with local taste and culture. Well, I may have an inclination towards the global ones at times.. They are nice.. ( really nice !). But it is sad to note that most of those that i like have been categorized by the media as junk-food This is further compounded by the fact that junk -food can cause health problems. In the light of this growing awareness among the public pertaining to this issue, I go for local food.

• Yes, local is preferable.

Local means more jobs for the people close to home. More jobs means I don't have to drive 2 hrs to commute to get the bills paid. Local helps the economy close to home, so I can help the planet in the long term. Yes, I do care about global, and often change starts with one, so I start where I can.

• Yes, Local Is Preferable to Global

I feel that as much as financially feasible, it is best to obtain good locally rather than globally. Reasons for this include improved local employment which is proven to expand local economies by up to seven times the initial value of the product or service purchased. In addition, local strengthens our economy and can help foster expansion of ideas and new products.

• Yes, most of the time.

Although we should be aware of what is happening around the globe and not stay cloistered, we should be bolstering our local communities by growing food locally, seeking out energy that is produced locally, and trying to make ourselves more sustainable -- rather than just finding whatever is cheapest all the time. Globalization can help expand our horizons, but our heart and soul of daily living is the local community.

• Saves Gas, Resources

Buying local means several things. First, consumers know where the food comes from. Second, it saves gas as food doesn't have to be transported thousands of miles. Ultimately, if everyone bought local foods, farmers' goods would be just as cheap as the store-bought stuff. Locally grown stuff just plain tastes better knowing that consumers have helped their local economy.

• Too much global means it's all the same

Local cultures, products and ways of life are what make uniqueness happen. Look no further than a restaurant chain. It's the same everywhere, and in virtually all cases of chain restaurants, it's pretty bad. Yet, the local hole in the wall will amaze you with flavors and how bold some of the food it offers is. The concept applies to everything, what people like relies heavily on where they are. It's foolish to assume a global blanket in any way will appease all that it touches.

• Local is yesterday's news

I believe that local products are no match for the quality that is induced by global products. People say that the reason global products are being bought because of the brand that they carry but don't these products that are bought because of their brands is popular because of their quality and that is why the have made a name for themselves on the face of this earth through economy.

• Just for the sake of argument...

Were your shoes made by a local cobbler? Sure, that could be easily accommodated. But what about your doorknobs? Is there a true locksmith in your neighborhood? Perhaps. Now, what about the television in your living room? The energy-efficient LED lights or the leather in your wallets and purses? To take local industry and make it a goal for the sources of our food and goods is the right way to go about it, but let's not be hypocrites for the sake of sounding like nice people. I believe in local sources of stuff. I buy local, and organic, I own chickens, and have the ability to get my own firewood. But I don't believe the average American town can provide the things that Americans consume, the stuff that we think of having as part of a normal life. Was your car manufactured in your home town? How about your cell phone? What about the siding on your house? Instead of a show of hands, let's have a discussion of what is feasible to grow or manufacture locally, and let's consider that some things -- special, technologically-processed things-- will come from elsewhere. For now, I will be searching for the inventor of the replicator from Star Trek, and will enjoy my Japanese car, and drink my free-trade coffee.