• Being beautiful doesn't mean you have to be skinny

If you have ever seen a television advertisement, its rare that you would see a girl or women who is overweight advertising clothes, make up and or accessories. This gives teenage girls and women the illusion that skinny is beautiful and that is not true, true beauty comes from the inside.

• Yes, they are

Yes, I would have to agree that the media are the blame for eating disorders. It's hard to look around and not see some sort of dieting show on TV, a weight loss ad in a magazine or some celebrity endorsing a product for the amazing body it gave them. Of course all of this puts immense pressure on society to be thin and "beautiful."

• I totally agree.

The media shows everyone / especially girls images of beautiful women with great skin, flat stomachs and bright smiles. This is unrealistic! Women are not perfect. Look at Adele or Marilyn Monroe. These are beautiful women but society and mass media shows us differently. They decide to post images of girls with large breasts instead of women with curves. This makes girls believe they have to look like that to be beautiful and so some turn to eating disorders.

• Media is to blame for eating disorders.

The media has very strong influence on others, especially teenagers. We see these thin and beautiful women and yes, men, on television and we want to be them. Not like them, but to be them. Men, especially, look at women and write her off if she is "fat" or not as pretty as the other girl. So we, as women, take it upon ourselves to purge the fat away.

• Media IS the balme for eating disorders.

Thin models are often used by the media. I found out that the body weight of an average female model is about 25% less than her ideal weight. But, the model often gets her looks unnaturally. Most of these models have either had plastic surgery or are anorexic and having an eating disorder themselves. Plus the photos that you see on magazines/billboards etc are usually airbrushed to hide any flaws that they have naturally.

• The portrayal of women...

In media is that if you are plus-sized, you aren't beautiful. Television and movies barely ever use larger women as lead roles. Why? Because they aren't beautiful based on what they see. Most females develop eating disorders attempting to be as skinny as the models they see. I believe that people forget that photo shop is used so often now a days... And sure, media isn't the only way eating disorders develop. But it is most often the reason.

• The media is, but they are not solely responsible

The media is responsible for the way they portray the "perfect people," but they are not the only ones responsible, however the most responsible. Television and movies portray what "you should look like" and what you "should be to be ideal." People are naturally followers thats why we have more followers than leaders and they just follow what they are told by the mass media because "mass" refers to them telling many people.

• I just agree

I just agree 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

• I Agree :D

• I Agree :D

• We always blame the media without a thought

The media need to make money. That's why they put beautiful people for you to see, even if it's not real - it'd make their business more popular. This is how they get to put food on the table.

Yes, media is partly responsible, it's been said over and over again. But I think we need to consider also that eating disorders are mental disorders, which aren't simple things and require a lot of factors. Some of it is genetics. Some of it is influence from friends, family and yes, media. But we should not be quick to put the blame on media for everything - we need to fix up ourselves too.

• I don't think media is to blame for eating disorders.

I think media isn't to blame for eating disorders. For example, you see this new food that has a lot of oil but you don't know that and you like it, then you eat it and like it very much, and you start eating more of it, I don't think it was medias fault because you are the one who chose to eat it in the first place.

• Why Does Everyone Blame The Media?

Maybe it is partially to blame but not in the way everyone thinks. As a teenage girl I can say that looking at picture of a stick-thin model isn't the only cause of an eating disorder. We aren't STUPID we know that Models like that are unhealthy, its not 'The Media' its 'Social Media', the people around us that perceive to normal and healthy.

Seeing a picture of a model looking slim and glamorous doesn't have nearly as much effect as seeing peers or friends on facebook (who still uses facebook?) instagram or other picture sharing websites and you can't help but compare yourself to them.

The problem isn't from the media, it's ourselves.

• No!!!!!!!!! Never and rarely, if at all.

No! The statistics should be telling. If 70% of girls in elementary school report feeling dissatisfied etc because of the media would expect a far larger percentage to have true eating disorders but less than 3% do in their life time. Eating disorders are coping mechanisms to deal with difficult and overwhelming emotions and to gain a sense of control over life. A large number of people with eating disorders have been abused, grew up with difficult childhoods, experienced trauma and the like. Sure the media doesn't help, but it's so far from beings cause. Trigger yes absolutely. Cause--doubt it. Triggers and causes are very different things. I say this all from experience. You minimize and invalidate the complicated nature and function of eating disorders by saying the media is to blame. There's a reason 97% of people though they may all be exposed to the same media and may change their conception of beauty in response to it do NOT develop eating disorders. There's also a big difference between eating disorders and disordered eating. In addition, by focusing on media and the like you marginalize further the population of guys who too have eating disorders at rates far higher than people think.

• Did The Media Force Feed People?

I do not believe the media can be blames for people developing eating disorders. The last I checked the media can not force feed you, nor can they make you throw up and develop bulimia. Obesity, bulimia, and starvation are all serious problems that revolve around individuals not media. Media may display a lifestyle, but it doesn't mean you should strive for that lifestyle or look or fashion trend.

• There's So Much More Than JUST the Media

Yes, the media DOES have an impact on eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, and purging. But what else is out there? Not only is the media encouraging this, but peers and family can also have an impact on this. Think about it: We're always talking about how Paris Hilton is encouraging Anorexia by making it cool. Ugh! So true, right? Wrong. What's the first thing you say whenever you see someone you haven't seen in a long time? "Wow, you look different!" "Did you get a hair cut?" "You look thinner!" "You're... A little bigger!" "O-M-GUUUUURL NICE JEANS!" And of course, wives ask their husbands the question we all know: "Do I look fat in this?" Because NOBODY wants to go out knowing that they look bigger than they are. If there is a special event or ceremony taking place, when you go, you MUST look good! There's no, "As long as I put my heart and soul into this event, my looks don't matter!" If you don't attempt to dress up in some form, people at the event will think that you don't care about the importance of what's happening. Kids at school create fads in which they take part in. The kids can make fun of whoever doesn't look good, is fat, or doesn't partake in the fad. How we look is (although we deny it) an important aspect of our lives! Also, parents who have overweight kids that are not overweight themselves may force their children to enter in sports, to go on a diet, or do some form of exercise on their own. It's not just the skinny kids who are anorexic! Fat people can also be anorexic. This is dangerous, because in OUR minds, anorexic = SKINNY. BONY. UNDERWEIGHT. Overweight kids DIE because nobody ever suspected that THEY were the ones who starved themselves to death. Stereotypes aren't harmless, though some of us think they they're just words. Stereotypes can kill. Anyways, we're walking around saying that the media is to blame when we all walk around guilty of the same crimes. I don't blame the people who blame the media. At first glance, I thought the same thing! The media doesn't tell you that they photo shop the life and reality out of model photos, and how NOBODY looks like that in real life (and how nobody EVER WILL). This is a serious subject, and although these two sides differ greatly, it's hard to decide which is right and which is wrong. If you look at it as a whole, both of them are right! What truly differentiates the two is the WHO. No, not the band (lame attempt at being funny) , but the person with an eating disorder you're talking about. For some victims, it IS the media! For others, not so much. Hopefully this helps you decide which side(rhyme). If I haven't made you shift sides, then I hope I informed you more than the others. Thank you....

• No, the media is not to blame.

People point fingers and blame all sorts of things for the problems they are personally experiencing. The media should not, and does not, control your own decision, as YOU are the one living YOUR life. It's merely a scapegoat people use whenever they are questioned of their actions and are either too blind or immature to accept that they have made a bad decision on their own and too careless to live up to it.

I don't see a hand coming out of my T.V., magazines, or CDs, and putting a finger down my throat to make me puke so i can look pretty. Or stuff burgers in my face and gain weight, because i saw one ad.

As humans, we are given plenty of choices throughout our life. We end up making those choices, and we are responsible... People keep stating that girls see these beautiful models that are skinny, and they themselves want to become like them. Well guess what, if you're big, that's you're own fault (most of the time, with hereditary genes coming into play), you should probably put down the fork, or take a walk, lose some weight. Don't thrash about, screaming and crying about wanting to be skinny, throwing up because "My friend said it makes me beautiful" "There's no use crying over spilled milk".

I know this seems awfully harsh, teens are indeed influenced by several things, but being influenced by media? Really? Grow a pair, stand up, mature.

All in all, some people are stupid and there's nothing better the can do than play the "Blame Game".

• No media is not the only thing to blame..

I used to be anorexic when starting from my early middle school years up to my high school year.. It took a miracle for it to stop.. And the reason I was anorexic was not because of the media, it was because f the students in school I hung around (who I thought were "my friends").. Once I got into starving myself or eating very small portions it was hard to stop.. The media was just another trigger for me to keep doing it though too.. I don't do that anymore, but sometimes my old ways of that creep up on me to do that again.. I know I'm not doing that anymore because everyone tells me I look healthier now.. So no, media is not the only thing that causes this, peoples words do too..

• Media and Eating Disorders

The Media can't be blamed for some of the eating disorders there are. I know from experience that there is more to it then just the media. I know because I'm 16 and about 90 or less pounds but not because of the media I'm this way because some people don't read well and I was given medication before meals at school instead of afterwords and the medication I took effected how much I ate. Four of my friends were also effected in similar ways because of the medication they took, but I also believe that the meida has an effect on people not on the medication that was taken by my friends and I.