• Common sense is no longer popular

I wonder if it is really necessary to explain why the N word is offensive. Which racial slur is actually cool to hear and use? Fact of the matter is the N word is unfortunately popular due to hiphop but in everyday life except for a few reprobate minds who use that crap among each other, there is NO WAY you're gonna get away with using it, and thats because all words have meaning and trigger reactions. This one, especially, has a history. The "its just a word" argument is funny. To those who think that way, I challenge them to live by what they claim to believe. Go ask your significant other to call you a B**** or S.O.B on a regular basis as a word of endearment, and tell your friends that they can call your children B**TARDS since those are just words. Then come back to me to tell me how it feels. I want to see you fools tell your children when they cry that "those are just words" and dad/mom's friends arent mean people. Idiots.

• The N-word is usually perceived as racist to blacks

Society as a whole thinks of the n-word as offensive. If it's not something you'd say to a parent or an African American person, it's probably because it's offensive. Look at what happened to Philadelphia Eagle's wide receiver Riley Cooper for instance. He got fined for a huge amount and is now frowned upon by his teammates and the whole league. Who knows what's going to happen to him now? Look at what happened to Paula Deen. Same thing, companies have now avoided partnership with her. She's now perceived differently. To find out if it's offensive, why don't you use that word with your parents? Why don't you say that the next African American person you see? Why don't you say it in front of a teacher? You know why? It's because it's racist and offensive.

• By historical and contextual definition, yes!

Being a multi-ethnic individual with some African ancestry, I have had this word directed at me on a few occasions and it was clearly with intent to offend and belittle me. Sure, words by themselves don't have power, words are complex combinations of symbols that create our language when MEANING is attached to them. As far as I'm concerned, attempts to reappropriate the word have all but failed and created confusion, resentment and a double standard as to who is allowed to say it when it really should be used less and less. Only then would it have a chance of exiting the vernacular. I don't use the word in ANY form and don't let the word offend me anymore since it was originally derived from a mispronunciation of the word Negro (black) by Anglo-Saxons that couldn't roll their R's.

• It's more offensive when other blacks use it. Still offensive regardless.

I don't understand how some black individuals see it non offensive when other blacks use it. It's more offensive if a black individual uses it. The word 'Nigger' is a term used against us. The word 'nigga' is the same thing. No one should say or use it. Including Black people.

• The n-word has existed since slavery

The word is an offense to African-Americans and it should be looked down upon to say it. Insulting someone by their race is ridiculous and should not be allowed in today's society. That being said, can someone please explain to me why Paula Dean has a controversy over it while many rappers frequently use the exact same word in their songs?

• Only because of the history behind it.

In the past, the n-word was obviously used in a derogatory way towards African Americans (mainly in the United States). The n-word was used in a time where African Americans were considered to be nothing more but property to slave owners. Also it was used in time where discrimination and other violent actions against African Americans were considered okay or normal by a good number of people. The n-word is offensive today because it's like a reminder of the history behind it and how it was used specifically towards African Americans.

• Not to me but it is to most people so it's generally smart not to say it

It's generally smart not to say the n-word because most people find it offensive, but I don't because why would I want to feel offended by a word. That isn't logical and I suggest other smart people to do the same and not be offended by the n word. But at the same time you want to avoid saying it because you could upset dumb people who think it's a good idea to feel offended by a silly word.

• Disrespectful and racist

Using the n word is a very disrespectful and racist term to the modern black community. To African Americans the this term is widely used amongst the culture but when an individual of another race refers to it it can be offensives. The reason for this is because this word coming from negro meaning black was always offensives because if you can see correctly you would no that human beings are not naturally the color black. This word dates back to the time of slavery a topic that is still tender to African Americans and when Caucasians and other ethnic races use the n word they tend to find offensives. It portrays the same affect as calling a Caucasian person white, cracker, or a honky. Also calling other ethnic races offensives terms such as an Eskimo to Inuit persons and Indians to native Americans.

• In almost all context's

Word's get their meaning from society. So words can never be inherently meanigful and it only makes sense to consider their meaning in the society they come from. The N-word's meaning in a modern context is virtually synonymous with racism. While in some context it may not be offensive I think it is heavily misleading to claim that the word is not offensive.

First I would like to clarify what I believe the primary definition of the N-word is. It of course refers to black people but, it also sends a clear message that the speaker holds racist view against the black community. This is because everybody knows the history of the word and only the racists still use the word; assuming it ever had any other meaning. This is obviously offensive to black people.

Now the usage that is often used to claim it is not offensive is when one black person uses it to refer to another black person. This reclaiming of the word by black people is still referring to the offensive term but using it out of context so that it can be used as a term of endearment. This works of course because a black person is so unlikely to believe in such ideas that even when it is clearly implied he is still not suspected of believing in the racism he seems to be saying. Now this obviously doesn't work for white people.

Just because there are some scenarios in which a minority of the people can use the word without being offensive does not mean you can say the word is not offensive. The n-word is offensive so stop pretending otherwise.

• Obviously it is.

I see arguments that one race can use it where another cannot. To a lot of extent that is true but that does not mean a word is not offensive.

Most blacks see the word as offensive no matter who is uttering it. Just because modern culture means that it is used does not change that. There are plenty of words of pure profanity that are used in some of today's music. Does that mean the words are not offensive due to some popular culture? Not hardly.

Is it somewhat unfair that one race can use a term and although it might be offensive, it will not be seen as racist. That is a different issue.

It is a fact, not an opinion, that the word is offensive. Trying to justify it as not offensive because a couple of teenagers call each other the word does not negate that, no more than calling each other M***** F*******.

It is in common use in some modern hip hop or rap cultures? You bet. Does that stop it from being offensive? No way.

• A word is a word.

Yes it has a horrible history behind it. But a word is a word, saying this word is offensive in all manner and behaving as if you should shelve this word as "The word that shall not be spoken" like some sort of Harry Potter phrase from "The name that shall not be spoken". The word doesn't have any such meaning, it was just a used word for that time. Letting only that race of people say the said word, and not white's or any other such race... Is it not racist as well?

• I think it's a very no

The n-word thing is just a doubled standard thing. It's so sickening to think about white people using the n-word towards a black is offensive. I can't see any logical reasoning behind that. Will you please enlighten me. It's outrageous how people become these days. They keep on making things complicate and all.

• I think it's a very no

• If you make it

The word is so gaddamned ridiculous nowadays. No matter what context it's said in, people act like you just killed an entire preschool group. And then Black people go around using it and then claim that because they're black it can be said by them. Tell me, doesn't that sound pretty discriminatory? The way society views Nigger is ridiculous. To normal, sane people, the word is fine.

Posted by: JSKT
  • A word is a word.

A word cannot be regarded as offensive. Say the word nigger in an empty field. Nope no one hears it so no one is offended.
    Get some street kids greeting some of their mates with the word nigger in again not offensive.
    It is all a matter of how and in what context a word is used and who hears it. Even then if kids are calling it each other when greeting or whatever and someone over hears and feels offended that is their right to have their own opinion but they have no right to judge the kids using it in a manner that is not meant to offend the person it is said to.
    Mates nowadays often use what is classed as terrible words in jest and in communication with each other. People should just ignore something if it is not aimed at them or used in a offensive manner to whome ever it is aimed at.

• The word itself cant be.

A word can't be offensive by itself . It's the way that the word is used that makes it offensive. So in general the n word can be used in way like making fun of racism or to bring attention to the issue of racism and not be offensive but once it's used to be hurtful to someone then it's deemed racist

• 99% of blacks are niggers

You blacks get a free ride you dont work BUT you eat one thing the bible speaks against. Most of you are democrats libereals that should have died st birth yet you are on foodstamps welfare and any other government progrsms availaable. You are a very poor excuse for a human being.

• The Usage of the Word

In my opinion, it depends on the context you are using the word in. If you are saying it towards something/someone, collectively or personally, then it is extremely offensive and racist. However, if you are just saying it not directly, then it is okay. But you shouldn't really say it. In addition, if you are quoting someone, then it is okay because you are just quoting what they said. For example, I quotted iDubbbz, and even used * symbols.

• No possible way.

Saying the nigger is not offensive. But it does depend how you say it, if you go up to a black person and say "you fucking nigger" now that is offensive. But if you have a friend and your like what's up my nigga, there's nothing wrong with that. .

• It is a word

It a god damn word how the hell is it offensive yall need to chill take a chill pil or something like seriously just stop its doesnt even matter let me qoute the famous elsa and finish the off by saying let it go let it go just please let it go