• It's NOT just a word!

I think the "N" word is offensive because it used to be, back when slavery was popular, white people who owned slaves and call them the "N" word, but as time passed, black people used the word to empower themselves by using the word to greet other black people. So by saying that "it's not offensive" or "it's just a word" is false because it is offensive.

• It isn't just a word

It is a racial slur because it was used in a racist manner by white people. Therefore, saying nigga is tantamount to slave owners. Black people can say nigga because they are redefining it in their own way and taking it away from white supremacy. A WHITE person can not say it and claim they are also taking it away from white supremacy

• It isn't just a word

• It isn't just a word

• Well sure it is

No matter what other people say I think the ones who decides this is the black people. If they do not want to be called the n word they should not be called that. If someones name is Helene you dont call them Jeanette. It is as simple as that in the theory.

• It should be banned!!

I believe that schools should not use the N-word in books unless it is used to teach about history and injustice of the N-word. For one it is offensive to African Americans. Second it is a racist word that was originally based off of the word nigger and nigger derives from the french word negre. And third it can be offensive to anyone you say it to and it is not right to say that to anyone. No one is your slave.
    Like I said, the N-word is offensive to African Americans. It is the only remaining embodiment of the terrible past of segregation and slavery the African American endured. If we let go of that past then we can build ourselves into a proud and respectful nation. We still need to remember the consequences of slavery but not the identities of the slaves themselves.In Wendys, a popular restaurant, these employees found it funny, I'm guessing, to put a rude note in a child's lunch using the N-word. I swear that is so offensive and rude. We should live in the future not the past. The N-word is or past. This word offends many and keeps us in the dark when we could be living in a bright and non-racist future. This is why we need to stop using the N-word. It betters our future and our childrens.
    Now I understand that in the United States people are allowed to speak their minds and they have a right to their own opinions. Also, people can argue that “I have the freedom to say what I want” or “ You can’t ban a word!”
    While sometimes some peoples beliefs are not right, they have the right to say whatever they want and we must respect that. That would be breaking a rule by banning the N-word. But I still strongly believe that this word is way to rude and offensive to be used. Some say what about the freedom of speech? Well I say what about feelings, pride, they get hurt from these words and all hell breaks loose. Is that what we really want? I get where these people are coming from but don’t you want to not live in the past? To live in this new age of technology in peace? We have so many issues in this world let alone racism. Don’t you want to live in this great new age of technology, without having to be worried about all this racism? I mean like….This is not who we are as human beings. This word disrespects many in our country. I say it should be banned for good!!

• Words are just words until we give them meaning

The N word was once just a color but as time went by it was used to describe black people. The only issues is that many people looked down on black people and therefore the word used to address them became derogatory. It's a symbol of slavery. Of course it's offensive! No one should be allowed to say it. Black, white, Asian everyone should included in the dismantle of this word.

• Well no shit shirlock.

Yes it offensive to black people because back when slavery was a thing the n word was used to dehuminize black people as was calling the monkeys/Apes. That way whites wouldn't have to feel that they were doing injustice to another living being humans. Another reason why slaves were concidered "property." Whites used the bible as a way to justify their action like saying that the bible was sort of simbolism. I am gob an you are to worship me as a slave. Nowdays the n word is used to show hatred towards black people or to be "cool." Now me personally I'm not offended by it because to me it's just a word. I've only been called the n word 2 times in my 18 years of living and really wasn't offended nor understood why using a racial slur was funny. So of course I told my teacher, but only to see if they still thought it was funny. I honestly didn't care that what they called me I just cacared because they thought it was funny to mutipally repeat the racial word but by also mocking people with an incurable disease called turrets. That's when they crossed the line. Anyways you should just refrain from saying the word at all because some people won't be as nice as me. Some people will kill you for saying something like that.

• Well no shit shirlock.

• Um yes it is racist

The word "nigger" is obviously racist. And "nigga" is based off of "nigger" it is a racial slur against black people. Only media today makes it seem harmless. For example, calling a white person a "cracker" is offensive right? But lets say, 2020 media makes it seem as a different word and everyone starts using it. Wouldn't white people be upset? Can't ya'll just make a different word and give it a meaning instead of using a racial slur and change it's meaning.

• A word cannot be offensive.

A word is given a meaning by society. So why should we create separate words designed to offend for things that can be said offensively? If it is something that cannot be said in a non-offensive manner such as "hate" then that is different. But what the n-word describes can be described can be described in a manner not intended to offend, so why do we choose to make it offensive?

• What Are We Expected to Say?

First of all, the idea of calling it the "n-word" is totally absurd. I want to state right now that I have no racial hatred at all, but I'm sick of this! First it was the deal with Paula Deen, and now it's in everything! Paula said what she did twenty something years ago, she grew up in Georgia (which at the time she was raised, racism was very common), and for the record, she has the freedom of speech, giving her every right to say what she did, no matter how many people disagree with it! If a black person said what she did about white people, there wouldn't be half the commotion!
    Second, the "n-word" is not racist. Racism is a hatred for an entire race. That's simply identifying the race. Saying nigger is the same as saying black, African American, etc. It's simply identifying the race, no hatred implied. Not to mention most of the people who say it are from the south anyway, so they grew up with slang!
    Thirdly, [they] call us crackers and whatever else they can come up with and it isn't made a big deal of in public! Why? Do they suddenly have more rights than us because of the guy in the White House? It's uncalled for! If we're not allowed to say the "n-word", I want ever single rap cd off of the shelves in stores and rap music cleared of that foul language. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH PEOPLE!

• "Context" is bs

People say the n-word is racist because everyone knows the context. Everyone knows the context from 150 years ago. Things have changed. The predominant use of the n-word is by black people who don't care at all anymore. They aren't saying "What up fellow slave?" they're saying "Hi person who is my race". The word itself comes from a pretty obvious root, "negro", which is black. Not evil black, not inferior black, just black.

You want to continue to be mad at white people for slavery? Be mad at them for actually being racist. But where does this leave me? I'm not black or white, my people were barely in this country when slavery was going on. Do I get to say the "n-word"? Is it racist when I say it? Why is everyone except black people and sometimes hispanics being treated as if they are guilty of something that not only was addressed 50 years ago, but didn't even involve me?

You're acting like the civil rights movement didn't accomplish anything if you decide to cling to what was wrong with the past and say "THINGS ARE JUST AS BAD AS BACK THEN IF YOU SAY THIS WORD". No its not. Things aren't perfect, but people dedicated their lives to making things better. Don't equate now to a time where minorities were physically separated from whites because of some arbitrary word association you read about in a book, but haven't even experienced yourself.

• It's Just a Word

African Americans use it to call each other the word in a friendly matter, but if a Caucasion or any other person out of their race called them that they would play the racist card. If they think if its such a bad word, then don't use it. Otherwise the word is used in a new slang to "friend" so I don't really see a problem.

• Its just a word

The N word is not the problem. The problem is people getting offended by something that someone saying it. This shouldn't be a problem but ignorant people don't know how to get over their sensitivities to understand that no matter what way you look at it it's JUST A WORD. No one has be physically injured or touched but this single irks and frustrates so many

• Words are not offensive

Words by themselves can not be offensive. It all depends on the context, person and situation it was used in. Words are not stationary. The definition of words evolve over time and people need to realize that. For example, the n-word used to be a word for degrading African Americans but it evolved into a word for African Americans that is similar to words like "dude" or "bruh."

• A word is a word.

Yes it has a horrible history behind it. But a word is a word, saying this word is offensive in all manner and behaving as if you should shelve this word as "The word that shall not be spoken" like some sort of Harry Potter phrase from "The name that shall not be spoken". The word doesn't have any such meaning, it was just a used word for that time. Letting only that race of people say the said word, and not white's or any other such race... Is it not racist as well?

• I think it's a very no

The n-word thing is just a doubled standard thing. It's so sickening to think about white people using the n-word towards a black is offensive. I can't see any logical reasoning behind that. Will you please enlighten me. It's outrageous how people become these days. They keep on making things complicate and all.

• I think it's a very no

• If you make it

The word is so gaddamned ridiculous nowadays. No matter what context it's said in, people act like you just killed an entire preschool group. And then Black people go around using it and then claim that because they're black it can be said by them. Tell me, doesn't that sound pretty discriminatory? The way society views Nigger is ridiculous. To normal, sane people, the word is fine.

Posted by: JSKT