Is the National Organization for Marriage a hate group?

• Opposition of same sex marriages.

The National Organization for Marriage (also known as NOM) is a group of people who against the legalization of same-sex marriage. The group states, "Gays and Lesbians have a right to live as they choose, they don’t have the right to redefine marriage for all of us." If this is not hate speech, I don't know what is. No one has the right to judge others and say what they can or cannot do. The LGBT people are law abiding citizens who simply want to be considered equals.

• Why don't they call themselves "National Organization For Opposite Sex Marriage"

If this group was truly for marriage, they would support all marriages including my marriage. I am legally married, yet this group is vehemently against my right to marry. I am in a marriage that embodies all facets of a true marriage; love, compassion, trust, companionship and devotion 'til death do us part. A group that calls itself "National Organization for Marriage" should embrace all legally wed couples. Though this group does not advocate violence I feel history will judge them as a step or two above the Klu Klux Klan.

• Falsely Claims to just Defend Marriage

Their recent stance against the ENDA, which would prevent LGBT people or people suspected of being LGBT (yes, you read that right) from being fired for being or suspected of being LGBT (again, you read that right; in many states, you can be fired for being suspected of being LGBT) signals that this is a group which is not a one issue group; it's an anti-gay hate group using "traditional marriage" as a shield. On more than one occasion, they have tried to say that they don't hate LGBT people, they are just defending marriage. Recent actions and positions taken by the group prove that this is not the case. They hate LGBT people, and that is all that NOM does.

• Please stop acting like marriage has always been the same

Marriage in the US is a secular and dynamic institution that has gone under several major transformations. Interracial marriage was illegal in many US states until a 1967 Supreme Court decision. Coverture, where a woman's legal rights and economic identity were subsumed by her husband upon marriage, was commonplace in 19th century America. No-fault divorce has changed the institution of marriage since its introduction in California on Jan. 1, 1970. Nancy Cott, PhD, testified in Perry v. Schwarzenegger that "[c]ivil law has always been supreme in defining and regulating marriage” (343 KB) and that religious leaders are accustomed to performing marriages only because the state has given them that authority.
    <http://gaymarriage.procon.org>

• It depends on one's meaning of "hate"

If by "hate" you mean disagreement over a controversial issue, then I guess NOM is guilty as charged. However, "hate" is a strong word that usually means more than mere disagreement. It usually refers to negative attitudes that create a desire to harm another person. While groups like that do exist, I do not believe NOM is one of them. It is defending marriage as it sees it: the union of a man and a woman.

Not everyone who objects to the gay movement is motivated by hate. Many are decent people who have genuine concerns for their children and the future of their society. To brand such people as hateful bigots is simply dishonest.

It's one thing to say "I hate gays." It's another to say "marriage is between a man and a woman." If every group that disagreed over an issue were labeled a hate group, there would a lot more hate groups on both sides.

• It depends on one's meaning of "hate"

If by hate you mean disagreement over a controversial issue, then I guess NOM is guilty as charged. However, the word hate usually refers to negative feelings or attitudes that lead to a desire to do harm to another person. I don't believe NOM seeks to harm gay people; I believe it is defending its beliefs in traditional marriage.

It's one thing to say "i hate gays." It's another to say "marriage is between a man and a woman."

• While I don't agree with this group...

...I do not view this group as a hate group. I fully support LBGT rights, however this group is not "out to get" anyone in the LBGT community. While I see it as misguided, this group feels the need to protect the marriage as being between only a man and a woman.

• The organization, opposes the notion of marriage being a throw away term

This group seeks to prevent the forceful recognition of both behavior and relations, which are unnatural and severe no purpose, either by religion or evolutionary science. Rights are no things that are debatable, food and freedom of speech are rights, marriage is not a right but a choice, just as the type of car. These people, choose not to, for example own a Chevy, and instead choose a Harley and then demand to join the Chevy club and abuse the Chevy owners who don't want them to join as hate bigots. These people are just trying to keep what the club stands for, and if they don't like it either by a Chevy or go somewhere else. Don't force people to approve of your relationship, that is an a abuse of their actual rights., no misplaced emotion and misplaced thoughts, as the next thing, people will say owning a jet is a basic human right.

• Violence emerges from hate.

Full disclaimer, I am not familiar with the National Organization for Marriage. Being a fairly conservative person myself, I can understand why some people are so strongly against same sex marriage. Not all innovation or change is positive and there needs to exist a group of skeptics to challenge all change. But to go beyond the realm of peaceful debate over legislation and into an arena full of verbal attacks and/or physical violence is to become a hate group. After perusing NOM's website, it appears to me that they are not a hate group. While I do not agree with anything they have to say, they do have the right to say it and are doing so in professional manner. But the moment that the organization condones violence, it will become a hate group.