Is the niqab or burka a symbol of hatred and oppression towards women?

• Desert Islam Needs to Grow Up

Islam was founded in the Arabian desert in the mid-600s. A face covering and head covering were part of Mohammed's desert culture more than 1500 years ago. There is no need for such antiquated traditions in a modern society. Men don't have to wear the same thing. I'm sure if men were made to cover their faces in public, things would be different.

• See Me!

I feel that even the women who "choose" to wear burqa do so because of strong social and cultural influences. Their freedom of choice is not truly freedom at all. They are so accustomed to pleasing males and being oppressed that they do not fully know their own minds. A woman who is covered to that degree is neither seen nor heard. Of course this is oppression and hatred. Those who love you would want to see you set free. That is what love does!

• Yes the burka is a symbol of hatred and oppression towards women

It is a symbol of a culture that is extremely prudish when it comes to sex, making it something dirty and shameful, rather than the beautiful thing it is supposed to be. To cover one's hair rather than show it off is terrible, a woman's hair is a beautiful thing, there is no good reason beyond religious superstition to be covering it up. So I do find the burka to be a symbol of hatred and oppression towards women yes.

• Yes and No

I do not necessarily think that those garments and things are representing a "hatred" but I certainly do think at times they do, or at least did, symbolize oppression as a status symbol of inequality of women to men. Some women now believe them to just be a cultural item they wear to represent their religiousness beliefs. I think in past tenses, they were definitely signs of oppression.

• You may as well be invisible

A friend of mine travelled to Malaysia and shared a moment where a man (perhaps her relation, boyfriend or friend) was taking a photo of this woman next to a historic monument. She was wearing a full burka for the "happy" snap. Who would recognise her in the photo? Was she smiling? Was she crying? Was she screaming? Was she laughing? Was she indifferent? I make the assumption she was a she. So many questions, and just one more if I may. Why do men not wear a burka?

• It's not in the Koran

I believe the requirement 'to dress modestly' is what the Koran requires of muslim women - that's it.

The burka is a ultra-conservative Saudi whabbi interpretation of it, the same cult who forbid women to drive , forbid them out of the house without a male chaperone - need I go on?

Those who choose to wear it in the context of a western society are either being told to do so by their menfolk, or choosing to actively and obviously distance themselves from the indigenous culture.
    They often then act surprised and indignant if the indigenous culture is fearful of their appearance.
    In 2014 France took the brave step of banning the wearing of them in public, which for me is the equvalent of the German ban on the public display of nazi symbolism.

• When it is worn in a free country it is a Symbol of Hate

After all of the violence done in the name of Islam, the terrorist attacks, beheadings and suicide bombings a niqab takes on an offensive meaning. When a woman in a free country chooses to wear a niqab it is like a KKK member wearing a white sheet. It seems that the person wearing the niqab is honoring the passages in the Quran which call Muslims to separation and even violence. For instance:
    (Quran 5:51)
    O YOU who have attained to faith! Do not take the Jews and the Christians for your allies: they are but allies of one another and whoever of you allies himself with them becomes, verily, one of them; behold, God does not guide people who are unjust.

• Indeed it is oppressive.

In contemporary society if a young woman insisted she could not leave her house without concealing every aspect of her individual self, concerned for her emotional welfare her parents, school etc would seek for her to have counselling! The impact to her emotional health and well-being would be considered paramount as it would for FGM!

If a village was to pass a by-law requiring anyone to obscure themselves from public gaze, inhibiting their interaction with others the policy makers would be called into question for repressive and discriminatory practices. As for FGM which is perpetrated upon young girls by their mothers aunts or other village women, how is it perceived that the wearing of the burka is any less an oppression of women. To be inducted to or born of any group which inhibits the natural and healthy expression of self is not an illustration of "free choice" and is most accurately described as intimidation and coercion.

• Most definitely has oppressive background.

Some may chose to wear them in western world, but it is ignorant to ignore the fact that in parts of the world women are forced to wear these items. In areas dominated by patriarchal society and military regime rule women are denied rights and their physical safety is threatened. When there is an entire culture that chooses to raise their daughters as sons to afford them short term freedoms you cannot deny the existence of oppression. Yes, you may have the luxury of choosing to wear a burka because of your beliefs, but in other areas of the world women are being forced to live under certain rules and conditions or face dire consequences. So the answer is clear that this article of clothing has a symbolic connection to oppression.

• Oppression in the name of religion

There is no mandatory requirement of wearing burqa in religion but male-dominated muslim society has continue this taboo for over 14 centuries. Muslim girls are raised with this filthy ideology in families and brain washed to a extent that girls think that this is the only life. Though education has made progress in muslim women and some women have become liberal but still major section of society's women live in dark ages.

• NO the niqab or burka is not a symbol of hatred and oppression towards women

Time, people, culture, society, and the environment we are surrounded by, can produce the formation of many perspectives regarding an issue that we see in today’s society. One of many controversial topics that surround Islam is the Hijab and burqa. Many questions and generalizations are often formed in the minds of many non-Muslims in regards to the concepts behind the Hijab through the influence of the media. Throughout the years of conflict between the "West" and "Islam", the media has strongly altered the minds of non-Muslims by negative exploitation of Islam, and Muslims, in particular on Muslim women. In April 2011 the new law of banning of “"Act prohibiting concealment of the face in public space" in France. Well know as “the Burqa ban” the president in France says that “it is not welcome in the france soil”. However the law’s words were carefully chosen meaning everything that covers your face are banned, obvious targeting Muslim women. One politician in favour of the ban said that people who wore the Burqa.No doubt, seeing women wearing the Muslim religious dress is strange for many people. This fact does not make the burqa and hijab something which ought to be feared or hated. The media negatively portrays the Muslim religious dress which has caused many people to pass judgment on this Islamic practice without having any knowledge of its significance. It is important to consider who benefits from such prejudiced propaganda. Some political parties, for example, capitalise on people’s misunderstandings and fears in order to make political gains. The Muslim dress code is for women and men :“O children of Adam, we have provided you with garments to cover your bodies, as well as for luxury. But the best garment is the garment of righteousness. These are some of God's signs, that they may take heed”. (7:26) Quran
    The Muslim religious dress code for women is to wear lose garments that is covering their body and hair. The Burqa which is covering the whole body but the eyes is optional.
    Allah has stated in the Quran that women must guard their modesty.
    Also in the Muslim religion the men have a dress code as well, which is, not wearing anything below the ankle or above the knee and tight clothing forbidden.
    Allah has stated in the Quran the men should also gurad their modesty.
    . This is purer for them. God is fully Cognizant of everything they do.
    I am 16 years old girl, i go to high school and do everything a normal teenager does. I wear the Hijab/Niqab proudly and not forced to wear it by any male family member. I hate when people make these claims and pisses me off, i am not a terrorist, i don't go killing people, this is what media makes people think of me, i know that people judge me, im not blind. I respect other religions.

• Depends on the Situation.

No, because the majority of women living in the west CHOOSE to wear the niqab or burqa. Just as wearing heels and short shorts can be seen as oppressive in the East (considering many large fashion labels are owned and dictated by men), who can debate that Western women are "owned" by men, on the opposite side. I think women should have the choice as to what they want to wear, whether it be pants or niqab/burqa. Giving a woman that choice should not be called oppressive regardless of what they choose to wear. I wear hijab, and my father actually really doesn't want me to wear a niqab or burqa. If I did choose to, that would be nothing but my own free choice, not something imposed on me because of religion or man.

• No. But that doesn't mean I like it.

It is actually a symbol of the frailty of men. They think they are so weak that if they see more than a woman's eyes they would be unable to resist her sensual body and would take her then and there. WTF?
    In another sense, it could show that men think women are sexual sirens that could tempt them with a flash of ankle.
    It's such a screwed up situation...but devout Muslim men really need to get a grip.

• Its never wrong to be free in the way of dressing

Because a niqab or burqa, even though its not an Islamic regulation, it is a clothing that shows devotion towards Allah. And most niqabis wear it without any force from any people. Niqab and burqa may be argued as an act of social segregation, however, there's a lot of niqabis who blend in with the society without any problems. And if you were to say that niqabis are oppressed, isn't it better to confront them, rather than making them be more invisible? Niqabis' words are often taken for granted, while feminists' words are embedded in the mind. Bear in mind that the feminists are just pressing their own ideologies on the society.

• Of course not

As long as the choice is given to women, it is definitely not oppressive. At the point in which it becomes mandated, it would be, but that is not the situation. It is simply part of another culture that the West has never tried to understand. The recent wars in the Islamic world have made views towards Muslims much worse, leading to opinions like the ones towards burqas and hijabs.

• It is her choice

In many religions, including Islam, women are (apparently) deemed equal to men. I believe that equality is based on a large quantity of things, however, mainly free will. The women are given the option to wear what they choose, and frankly, i believe that someone would have to be rather stupid to CHOOSE to oppress themselves.

• No, it is a religious symbolic item.

Muslim women are obliged to wear it, but if they refuse the religion Islam is not a forceful religion. The face- veil is not a symbol of hatred or oppression, rather showing how modest the Muslim sister is. The Muslim sister is hiding her beautified body from evil lurking eyes. Once again the muslim sister is obliged to wear but if she insists on not wearing and rebels, she is not forced. Her family may advise her to change her mind but if she doesn't then that's that.

• Hell to the no

Everyone that I know that wears niqab have done so from pure choice. It is not a sign of oppression nor hatred. I being a female teenage muslim wear a burqa, and most deffinitely do not hate anyone, and am NOT oppressed, my choice of dress is completely my choice, not something enforced on me. In Islam, we believe that women are like pearls, beautiful and flawless, and found in clams in the ocean, rather than lying around unprotected, so that they are not damaged. It is a protection against rape and incidents of the like. If two women were standing side by side, both equally beautiful, but one with her beauty concealed and the other dressed showing it all, who'd be more likely to get raped or hurt? It's pretty obvious, disgusting perverted men will not be attracted if there's nothing to see. My example is by no means degrading a woman that does not cover herself, but merely explaining the reason to why we wear niqab, it's an act of protection, and a religious practice that brings us closer to our lord, not a sign of hatred or oppression.

• Not at all

People fear the unknown and oppose things which are unfamiliar to them. People of all shades and colors from white to black and every color in between wear the niqab and burka. Now the KKK... That's a different story. The only people found under those sheets were white people. I don't think it's anything wrong with modesty. I'd rather see women with long dresses covering themselves than to see women pulling their shirts up and revealing their bosoms for a beaded necklace.

• The word "hatred" in this usage is absurd

I think it should be noted that the western world has begun to use the word "hatred" completely incorrectly. For example, racism is very commonly called hatred. This is absurd. Even during the time of slavery, people who were racist against black people did not hate black people, they merely thought that black people were inferior to themselves. Many had fond feelings for their nannies or housekeepers even though they believed that black people were incapable of being more than nannies or housekeepers. Patronizing and hateful are completely different things and should not be confused. Therefore, I think it is laughable to suggest that the niqab or burka is a symbol of "hatred" toward women, even if it was unfair or oppressive.

However, I do not think that niqab or burka is oppressive. It is just part of many Islamic cultures and the islamic women who cover their hair voluntarily would no more go out in public without their niqab or burka than western women would walk around shirtless. The burka is no more a symbol of oppression than the bra.