Is the purpose of life to get money, live and die?

Asked by: knu
  • Money is fundamental to life: but I do believe that one person can have too much.

"People" like to say that money can't buy you happiness. "People" also say that generosity and prosperity (in which I mean your relationship spiritually and with others) is the key to success. But surly, people who state this must understand that in order to become successful without money you must either 1) renounce your economic attachment, and join a society which doesn't use money or 2) accept that you will exist on the bottom rung of modern society. Things you enjoy (for me it's jujitsu, wanting to own my own house so I'm not paying for someone else's dream, owning my own hybrid electric car, having a family and sending my children to private school, socialising with my friends) cost money, with few exception. You can argue that looking at the stars if free, but, the food you require to even exist to view this sceptical costs money.
    One problem is wealth distribution: the men and woman who run our society and provide order (UK), such as public servants, sectaries and logistics/public transport drivers earn a pittance compared to bankers and politicians (I do get that politicians are public servants, and do contribute to structuring our global communities). I simply do not understand this. In addition, you can also argue that crime is a product of poor education/upbringing, but actually, when children are offered a substandard education or "dysfunctional" upbringings which results in poverty, then what are your options? Work your whole life for nothing, or go down in a blaze of glory, possibly taking a bank clerk and a security guard with you.
    I do also think that you can have too much money (I'm a 30 year old student, so I have none), but, why should I share any wealth with you: I need it!
    I can fully understand if you disagree with me, you either have money, you are a moron or very naive , or you are fully content with having nothing.

• Most major decisions made in life are about money, or are caused by money's influence.

While I truly want to say no, I can't help but say yes to this question. Society has set people on a track towards a money based life. If you ask yourself, "Why did I go to school?" the answer most people would give is, "To receive an education." Then when we ask what the purpose of that education was, we normally find that it was to prepare us for the working world - for a job. Jobs give us money, which we use to live and be as happy as we can be. Without a job, there is no money, and generally, society would look down upon the destitute, the homeless, and the unemployed. While those with more money and stable jobs reap the benefits and 'enjoy' their lives more. While I wish that money was not the thing that our society holds as most important, I can't help but think that it is - and will continue to be - the purpose of most people's lives.

• We have to live while can

Life isn't all about money, so why do we have to apply everything in life to money? Making money, spending money, giving money... This all we do, why cant we just do things to do things. You know what they say, you only live once... Also, why do we go to school, spent and make money, and so all of these things that seem super important at the time, just to die? That is my question.

• Different stage in live and different background see money differently.

Different stage in live and different background see money differently. Money is like a mulitipurpose tool to use life. The purpose of life is to have a dream and accomplish it, can be a president or a farmer because someone have to do it. Both of these job contributes to the surveil of mankind.

• Not a chance

No. In life, everyone has their own purpose. People do what they think is right and they make new contributions to the world around them. Although the basis of how you live your life is based on obtaining enough money to remain alive and healthy... Happiness, spirt, love, these are all things that are entwined with life itself. Emotions in general are a tough concept, that everyone's life revolves around.

• No, you must find your purpose.

I see money as a sense of maintaining order. If people are able to obtain goods without paying for them chaos would brew. I think in order to make your life fulfilling you must find your purpose. Find things that you love to do. Act upon them aggressively. If you love it enough and it is beneficial to everyone you will be paid to do it.

• Life is not all about money

The purpose in life is definitely not to get money, live and die. As Dr. Orion Swett Marden so aptly puts it: "How few of us realize that true success is not measured by the accomplishment of some great thing;that it does not consist in being wealthy, famous, or powerful; but that it is the crown of all who honestly, earnestly do their best and live the everyday simple life, with all that it involves in the practice of the commonplace duties of everyday. It is by the exercise of the common, homely virtues; it is by trying to do everything one attempts to a complete finish; by trying to be scrupulously honest in every transaction; by always ringing true in our friendships, even by holding a helpful, accommodating attitude toward those about us; by trying to fulfil to the best of our ability the obligation to be noble, to be loyal to our highest ideals, it is by such things as these that we make successful lives."

Posted by: Vace