• Yes it is!

If you are talking about the Confederate flag, then YES, it is very offensive! I cannot stand anyone who would even think to wave this flag around! The flag represents racial discrimination and it always will. Even though we've come far from that, the meaning is still there and I find it to be very offensive.

• I'm assuming you mean the Confederate flag

It shouldn't be, many people associate it with racism and slavery but that really doesn't give the whole picture as to what the flag represents. It is first and foremost a part of the South's history. I could also go into the reasons for the war that were not directly related to slavery. In any case, I am sure most southerners see it as a sign of Southern pride. If it offends you that is your problem and not a right to infringe on someone else's rights.

• The Nazi Flag is part of German History - Still Offensive

The flag of the confederacy represents an illegal insurrection against the national government to which each state voluntarily surrendered sovereignty. Some proclaim loudly that succession was not about slavery. That is unconvincing since, without a doubt, there would never have been succession or a CSA without the evil institution of slavery. Folks can feel proud of whatever they like, I suppose, but when a a symbol has taken on the representation of evil in the minds of so many people, it's simply wrong to shove it down peoples' throats in the interest of personal "southern pride". No German should display a Nazi flag as part of Germany's heritage, and no loyal American should fly the symbol of insurrection and rebellion that cost so much needlessly to preserve an evil institution that was already doomed.

• Yes

Agreed. And let's be honest here. People who fly the rebel flag on their cars or their houses or whatever are not just showing pride for their Southern roots. It's become much more; a symbol of racism and hatred, one that I can only imagine is offensive to those whose ancestors were enslaved, beaten and killed. I know for a fact that most Northerners are offended by it; we fought a war against slavery, won that war, and people who fly the rebel flag are saying "Ha, we STILL don't care about your freedoms for everyone." The rebel flag indicates a person who can't accept the way things are and has to return to his hateful ways.

• OF COURSE IT IS

No matter what you say, the Civil War is at least in part based upon the issues of slavery. The Confederate States represents the hate towards an entire people and whether or not thats what it means to you, it is what it means to thousands if not millions of people. Don't trounce the flag around thinking its just a symbol, because it is a symbol of hate.

• It's offensive to others!

Not being sensitive to the fact that the flag was made for the south who believed in slavery is inconsiderate. It doesn't mean you're a rebel at all. The south wanted to keep their slaves and a lot of slaves were treated worse than there own owners animals. If people want to have a "rebel" flag then they need to make their own.

• It's offensive because of the ideals and history behind the Confederate flag.

It's offensive because of the ideals and history behind the Confederate flag. It represents all the ideals of the Confederate States of America. By proxy, it represents slavery, which you might not recognize as not being a) popular anymore b) in line with human rights and c) anything but atrocious. Secondly, it represents the Civil War, and also by proxy an inability to let the past go. The South lost and never had any chance to win the Civil War.

It also represents the willful ignorance of Neo-Confederates. While they argue about the "tyranny of the North", they willfully ignore that the Confederate government was a joke. Its authority was limitless. Its constitution was the exact same as the United States with certain words changed. Slavery was of course better defined and protected. The South never had an effective congress and became basically one man: Jefferson Davis. No supreme court was ever established, reducing citizens' protection from the government. The country fighting for states rights was oddly the one with the fewest states rights.

It's offensive for the same reason the swastika is offensive; it's so heavily attached to antisemitism that it doesn't matter anymore that it used to be a symbol for good luck. The same happens with the Confederate flag and its ties to slavery, except that the Confederacy flag never represented any noble ideas.

• Yes it's offensive

YES, it's offensive! How can someone justify the fact that the KKK had these flags as they were hanging slaves? I don't care what historical meaning it may have or how much pride it may bring. The fact of the matter is, it's a symbol of slavery, ESPECIALLY in the south. The only people you see with these flags are WHITE. Have you ever thought about that? Probably not. Anyway the flag is offensive, people.

• It very well is!

What should first be asked is, what does the Confederate flag represent? It represents a country that is now known as the Confederacy. The Confederacy is short for the self-titled Slave-holding Confederate States of America. Which meant no state that abolished slavery could join the Confederacy and any Confederate State that abolished slavery will be forced to leave, thus completely debunking 'the State rights' myth. In short the Rebel flag represents the polar opposite of the founding American Value of "Liberty and Justice for all"...For ALL.

• Symbols Matter Here

We have to accept what symbols represent. It is not acceptable to fly Nazi flags so why should Confederate flags be treated any different? Both represent a group of people with damaging, insensitive, and immature world views. Now I am not saying that the Confederacy was any where near as bad as the Nazi party, but both were made up of people who truly believed in their cause and what their group represented, Germany does not allow people to fly a Nazi flag because it represents a horrible time in their history. Im not suggesting that we forget our nations southern history, merely that maybe it shouldn't be something we are proud of and flaunt.

• The Rebel Flag is not racist.

No I don't see this flag as offensive. I live in a little town where everyone flies the flag. None of us think about it as a racist symbol. We fly it as part of our southern pride. There are many African Americans that fly the flag as well. The civil war wasn't started over slavery therefore the flag isn't a reminder of it. Anyone who looks at is as racists needs to go back to high school and actually pay attention in history class.

• I agree

I don't know why after 150 years it is all of a sudden offensive. To me it is a reminder of the lives lost in the south...but.......being the south wanted slavery not just for them but for the entire country...I can see how it can be a reminder of the people who saw nothing wrong with owning black humans which is inhumane. They treated their horses better than they treated their slaves.

• Symbol of Good Ole Southern Boys

No, the rebel flag itself is not offensive. There are people who choose to make a big deal out of it and give it meanings that it really doesn’t have. Most people who display the rebel flag do it without any real knowledge of what the flag once meant. The people who display the rebel flag now days are using it as a “redneck” symbol. The rebel flag now days is a symbol for a redneck, beer drinking southern boy, nothing more.

• Definitely not offensive

Anybody who thinks this flag is a symbol of hatred or racism obviously needs to go back to high school and pay attention. It is a symbol of the southern pride. The flag was flown during the growth of America and should remain flying. People in town fly this flag and always will even the colored folk that live here. Banning this flag is banning a huge part of American history and to some folk is almost like banning the American flag. I will remain flying this flag and so shall my children after me!

• Regional Consciousness and Historical Significance

After doing much research on the South and separatist identities it has become clear to me that the Confederate flag actually represents firstly, Southern independence, secondly, regional pride, and contemporarily, commemorating the Confederate military and many lost veterans. Unlike other parts of the country, the South's history of being semi-isolated has led to a large portion of southerners having direct links to their ancestry who had lived and/or fought through the war. The war was started because of rebellion and secession, unfortunately, not because of slavery. That was after the fact. Those sporting the Confederate flag as a means for racist or bigoted agendas are perverting its significance for a large population of the country who see it as part of their history.

• No it is not

The Rebel flag is not for slavery it is for states rights which involve slavery but that is not what it is about it is saying that the states should have their own rights with the stars representing the original 13 colonies which had their own rights therefore it is not racist or prejudice so please don't judge

• Free to express yourself

It's none of your business why people fly this flag. You're not perfect enough to worry about other people. There are a ton of reasons that educated people should be offended right now... And a flag isn't even in the top 100. You people get all riled up over simple things and are apathetic over the things that matter.

• No it is not

The current flag flew in the 50' and 60's does that make it racist? It flew when we put Japanese people in essentially POW camps in WWII ... Talk about slavery, when the union won did they not essentially have slave labor in the factories of which if you were injured you were fired and worth nothing... While getting paid about nothing.

• There are much more offensive things in this world.

Even if the flag does represent slavery, its a part of our history as a nation and we should all be proud of iy whether you agree with it or not. We have made some mistakes in the past but we are still the best country on the planet. Also there are things in our culture today that are way more offensive than a flag.

• You love your home right

Well I hope so. To many the rebel flag is seen as a redneck symbol for "I hate blacks." To some I suppose it is, but to a majority of people it simply represents a love for their homeland. I think the south is beautiful personally. (So are the north, east, and west!) To me the rebel flag says "I'm a southerner and I like that- I'm proud to show it." I wish it could be seen as just as normal as Yankees or Gators or other symbols that people happily proclaim they like. I wish that having a rebel flag on your car didn't make you a racist. I love the south AND african americans- is that hard to believe? It really shouldn't be.. Well to each his own but I say the confederate and American flags can fly together peacefully because I love America as a whole and specifically I love my sweet home in the south equally.

Anonymous says2013-04-28T15:20:15.933
If you are sure that the Confederate flag is offensive, well think twice because the U.S. Flag is also for many people around and inside the U.S. Under this flag millions of amaericans natives lost their lives, their land and were confined to reservations where many died and lost their self-esteem. Outside U.S. It symbolizes imperialism and support of dictatorships.
MrJAC4X4 says2013-06-19T01:00:43.627
Here is a little history from the Heritage Preservation Association. If you think the flag is a racist symbol or if it offends you, check this out, then tell everyone why or what about the flag offends you. Http://www.Hpa.Org/edu/csaflags.Htm