• The movie is about native Americans

Though the plot of the Shining is not directly related to Indians, the overall theme in the movie is however. Kubrick's set for the Overlook hotel is embroiled with Native American artifacts and Native American motif. Even down to the Calumet baking soda cans in the storeroom. Kubrick ends the movie with a puzzle because he wants us to think about what we've just seen. A lot of tiny hints easily missed. But in the movie the large hint is the entire motif in the hotel itself, and even more eerie is that there is not a single Native American in the film.

• It is not.

As someone who has seen this film more times than I probably should admit on this site, I think that The Shining was not about Native Americans. It was about much more sinister and deeper things, and to put it on one group of people is not a very good thing to do.

• The Plot of The Shining Is Not About Native Americans

Whether or not the events that transpire within the actual plot of the movie surround some subplot about the Overlook Hotel being built over top of a sacred, ancient Indian burial ground, is neither here nor there. The fact is, the substance of the storyline is directly related to the eerie concept of “former lives”, and how these sinister forces might evolve from that notion and manifest themselves within the realm of insanity caused by the scientific phenomenon called ”cabin fever”.

• No, I do not believe The Shining is about Native Americans.

The Shining was based off a book. From what I could tell having only seen the movie once, that book most likely was not about Native Americans. I believe it was just meant to be a creepy or scary book and movie because that was a big thing the author was into at the time.

• Not about Native Americans.

No, I don't think that The Shining is about Native Americans. While I have not read the book, I have seen the movie many times and it is a favorite of mine. I have never once gotten the idea that it was about Native Americans, though I know there are hidden meanings in everything, especially in this book/film.