Is the topic of school violence overblown and over-exaggerated in the sense that violent attacks have routinely occurred on school grounds without the media sensationalizing them in the past?

• The topic of school violence is overblown and over-exaggerated in the sense that violent attacks have routinely occurred on school grounds without the media sensationalizing them in the past.

The topic of school violence is overblown and over-exaggerated in the sense that violent attacks have routinely occurred on school grounds without the media sensationalizing them in the past. There have always been bullies at school and there has never been a way to stop them. Bullies in school like to hide in plain sight.

• It's nothing new

School violence is nothing new, but the media's problem is not just blowing these attacks out of proportion rather than properly contextualizing them, blaming the problem on guns, video games, or other scapegoats, rather than the societal conditions that have surrounded education and the workplace that have dehumanized people and forced them into violent action.

• You Definition of Routine?

I do not believe the topic of school violence is overblown or over-exaggerated. I do not believe violent attacks happen on a routine basis on school grounds and I do not believe these attacks are ignored by the media. I think they are covered when they happen in one form or another. Yes, the violence has always been there as well.

• School violence is always a serious matter.

The recent outbreaks of school violence are not statistically unheard of. With a larger population, we are prone to have more of all kinds of violence. Unfortunately that includes school violence. The problem is not over-exaggerated, it is just more publicly recognized. Before the 24 hour news media, they were limited to a few relavent news stories from around the country due to time limitations. Now, the media has multiple channels of 24 hour news and the internet. Information is more readily available. That's all that has changed.

• No, school violence is not overblown.

I think the media coverage of events such as school violence have been fair to point. I do not think that school violence on school grounds occur as often as the media makes it sound like sometimes, but when it does, then it should be heavily reported. I only have a problem when the media uses such event to talk about gun control.