Is the United States' 'War on Drugs' worth fighting?

• Really drug hurt everyone

I am a recovering drug addict, who lost everything! I fell over 50ft and broke my back the doctors put me on Oxycontin and I became addicted very quickly. That lead to a heroin addiction, and from there I lost a very successful business and my family. Drugs not only destroy the person using but also the person and everyone around them. I now owe the IRS over 150k and I get 1500 a month disability. My children have never spoke to me again and I feel they never will. I attempted suicide several times before I finally got the help that I needed.

• There are still drugs in America that can cause irreversible damage to people and its surroundings.

Drugs like meth, cocaine, etc. simply need to be taken out of the country. It has such an impact on a person's lifestyle that if it wasnt illegal, the U.S. wouldnt be the same hard working country that it is today. Not only would the death rates be higher, but the gang and crime rates would sky rocket simply from territory wars.

• It is Continued

12. Through “if you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear” rhetoric, it conditions the public to assume the surveillance state means well and that only evildoers object to ubiquitous surveillance.

13. In conjunction with endless military adventures overseas and “soldiers defend our freedoms” rhetoric, it conditions the public to worship authority figures in uniform, and predisposes them to cheerfully accept future augmentations of military and police authority without a peep of protest.

14. It creates enormously lucrative opportunities for the large banks — one of the most important real constituencies of the American government — to launder money from drug trafficking.

15. Thanks to major drug production centers like the Golden Triangle of Southeast Asia, the opium industry in Afghanistan, and the cocaine industry in South America, it enables the CIA — the world’s largest narcotrafficking gang — to obtain enormous revenues for funding black ops and death squads around the world. This network of clandestine intelligence agencies, narcotraffickers and death squads, by the way, is the other major real constituency of the American government.

• Definitely worth it becasuse

Has anyone actually noticed how greatly drug levels have decreased since it began. It may be a long war and will probably last even longer but i personally prefer that over having a country pretty much run by the cartels in a mafia style fashion. They need the support people

• Of course

Certain drugs are not worth fighting. weed, for example, is a total waste of resources and I personally believe we are taking the right step by legalizing it and getting that out of the way. In regards to more dangerous drugs, of course it is something that needs to be address on a consistent basis. To prevent people from abusing drugs, corrupting and making our population ill, and creating an environment of negativity and violence, it is important to crack down on the abusers asap.

• Yes yes yes

I don't know how many of you have kids, but I do. And the first thing that comes to mind what if she gets her hands on them. I have seen the affects drugs has on people, they lose there senses , they become useless. I have seen families destroyed. So for me it is really important for the war on drugs to continue, because if there is just one percent chance that my family might not get hit with the horrible affects of drugs it is worth it.

• The land of the Free?

In the United States we are supposed to be "free" people. If we are free, shouldn't we be allowed to destroy ourselves, and consume what we want. The resources used in this "war" on drugs bearing little fruit to call it a success, should be pushed more into improving rehab centers for those that want to move away from the narcotics, instead of throwing them in prison for being curious.

• Government has no business to police morality.

Do you really want bureaucrats telling you what is morally accepted? It like code enforcement fining you $10,000 because your grass is not up to their standard, straight up nonsense. If you are hurting anyone else you should be left to your own devices. War on drugs is a failure. All it does is keep cartels in business.

• It's a complete waste

The 'war on drugs' is a complete waste of man power and money. They are fighting against something that will never be won. If they are fighting gangs that is one thing but arresting every individual they find with a little bit of drugs on them or drug paraphernalia is a ridiculous waste of time and tax payer money.

Posted by: jus
  • No, the war on drugs is a waste of resources, and to continue to fight it is to throw good money after bad

The war on drugs in the U.S. has focused on interdiction of drug shipments - that is, cutting off supply. If supply decreases while demand remains the same (which it does) then price goes up. If price goes up, more suppliers enter the market since their risk yields a higher reward. My point is, to try to fight the war on drugs the way we have been is an exercise in pointlessness. If we addressed demand with the same intensity that we address supply, we might be able to make a dent. But the way we are fighting it now simply assures corruption and a continuation of the vicious cycle.

• No

It is ridiculous that the war on drugs is being fought today. Tobacco is AS if not MORE unhealthy than other drugs such as marijuana. Drugs should be taxed and regulated instead of having to crack down on it.