• Yes, the universe in conscious.

How are we conscious in a unconscious universe? How are we able to perceive each others consciousness if there is nothing connecting us? Think of x-box, With no internet you can't connect with your friends. That is my view on this. I believe the universe is conscious in a different way then us. Think of a trees "consciousness" compared to ours. Trees aren't "conscious" but they're alive. I feel the universe is conscious in a way different to us in a way were different from trees.

• It speaks not... But it is not unconscious.

I'm going to make a bold move here and equate the universe with our Confucian concept of heaven. In that case, the answer is a resounding 'yes'.

It would be easy to conclude that the universe is not conscious because we have no means of direct communication with it. Yet this argument is flawed because it, at best, implies that an agnostic position on the consciousness of the universe is reasonable. 'Does Heaven speak? The four seasons pursue their courses, and all things are continually being produced, but does Heaven say anything?' (Analects 12.19)

Heaven is quite conscious. It delivers challenges to those on whom it has conferred a great office on them. 'When Heaven is about to confer a great office on any man, it first exercises his mind with suffering, and his sinews and bones with toil. It exposes his body to hunger, and subjects him to extreme poverty. It confounds his undertakings. By all these methods it stimulates his mind, hardens his nature, and supplies his incompetencies.' (Mencius 12.15)

Heaven also mandates the benevolent to rule, and revokes the mandate from those who are malevolent. It confers upon us the natures of benevolent, righteousness, propriety and wisdom such that we can, by pursuing our own nature, be a good and virtuous person.

To be capable of doing all that, we can see that Heaven, or the universe, is conscious of itself. I see not how, with such capabilities, any entity can be non-conscious.

• That cannot be proven, and I'm posting here because there's no neutral column.

Just how are you supposed to measure consciousness? We can't even prove that other people are conscious. People are so eager to believe that other beings (or phenomena, as it is) are aware of their existence. Are rocks conscious? Are trees? Are rivers? Are dogs? What is consciousness exactly? How do we know if something or someone possesses it or not?
    P.S. Reminds me of S. Lem's "Solaris". You might want to read it if you'd like an opinion on that matter.

Posted by: dhal
  • No, the universe is not conscious

To be conscious is not to simply exist. Atoms are not conscious. They exist, but atoms aren't alive. Life is required for consciousness. That is because in the definition of consciousness, it requires being aware of one's own existence, and being able to perceive. That is why plants are not considered conscious. It requires intellect, a mind, the ability to think. If it cannot think, then it cannot be conscious. You can research the definition of "consciousness" and find my claim to be correct. It is possible that the universe can think in a way that we cannot define or contemplate, but for being "conscious", that is too specific of a term for it to apply to the universe.