Is the US version of 'The Office' better than the original?

• Ive seen both and us wins

I am British and first saw the US version of the office before I knew there was an original. Having watched both I find the US one more entertaining, random, interesting, sweet and awkward. The UK is grim, funny at times, very awkward and David Brent is only likeable towards the end. I liked Tim and Dawn but preferred Jim and Pam. I engage more with the US version' storyline.

• Of Course It Is

I not only appreciate the comedic side of the show, but the character development alongside it. I LIKE JIM AND PAM AS A COUPLE AND NO ONE CAN SAY OTHERWISE n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n n

• US wins out

I watched the original office years ago and it was one of my favorites. It wasn't without flaw (unlikable characters and boring/emotionless supporting cast) but I wrote them off to realism.

Watched the US office this year, thenwatched it again. It had everything I loved about the original office, except corrected all the flaws. Each character in the US version has redeeming qualities, whereas the majority of the U.K. Characters have shit intentions and really just terrible. Even Tim and dawn left a terrible taste in my mouth, Tim was really uncool to his actual girlfriend, and dawn only wanted Tim after he got a hot girlfriend :/
    You can argue this as realism, but you could argue that people also have reasons for actions, many of the story arcs within the Uk version were not fleshed out in a way that revealed these motives. While Gareth being pranked was meant to be comic relief, it felt pretty cruel at times, whereas jims antics were genuinely hilarious, and Dwight reacted in a way that was also hilarious. Not to mention the obvious fact that the UK version stretched to 9 seasons would never have remained viable. The Us version relied on its strong cast as well as good writing whereas the uk version relies solely on writing while having many weak or "extra" cast members.

• It is infinitely better

The US version masters humor, acting, writing, and -- above all -- character development. The characters legitimately feel real. You care for them. The show is based around the idea that these characters are part of a documentary, series, and, in the American version, it feels like they really are. Steve Carrell's Michael Scott belonggs in the pantheon of great television characters, and the way Jim and Pam's relationship grows and expands is beautiful and unparalleled. The UK version has no heart. You give no thought to the characters. Whenever a charActer is on screen you know that it is purely to set up some obscene and uncreative joke.

• US Office is Better

The acting, writing, and character development is far superior in the US version. Steve Carrell's Michael Scott belongs in the pantheon of great television characters. The way Jim and Pam's relationship grows and changes throughout the show is beautiful. Watching The US version, you truly feel as if you know the characters, as if what tou are watching really is a documentary series. You care about them. The UK version falls victim to its futile attempt to be funny. There is no heart to it. You do not care about the characters. They are all static and everything they do is geared toward some obscene and unfunny joke.

• American version is significantly better

I've only watched both series' in their entirety recently, beginning with the British version. Although the American adapted version is similar through the first 3 seasons...It still outperforms the UK version in every way.

I honestly don't understand the hype for the UK version. I appreciate they were more realistic, but as a comedy - the UK version can't hold a candle to the US version imho

• It is better.

Because I say so. And I'm cooler than kool aid guy. Steve Carrel, Rashida Jones, Jim Helpert, Life, Dibid akks diak ida jss kd zud sjf djd sjfbs fjs fjd fif wjf sjfbs fjs fjsfjw dkfnf skf sfn sjds fjs jd fjs fjsf. D d d dd d d. XD d

• It's Just Funnier

The U.S, version is s just my opinion but I think it is funnier because it makes more sense to people everywhere, not just for British people. I just don't get the British version. This is just my opinion please nobody hate on it. Also Dwight is the funniest guy ever!

• Without a doubt,

The U.S. version of the office is so much better as you can undeniably understand the characters. For example, throughout the whole 9 seasons I could really feel the connection between Jim and Pam (a lot more than the other one) plus I am Australian so that is no bias business going on here. I spent hours every day watching the office us because it kept me entertained. But as I started watching the uk version I got a little bored.
    Altogether I believe the uk version is like a small boy with good ideas and the U.S. version is a grown man who took those ideas and did something with them.

• Without a doubt,

• Laugh Out Loud Comedy =/= FUNNY

The Office US struck me as being lowest common denominator comedy. For some reason sitcoms in the US are unable to create a legitimate straight man when it comes to comedy. Complex characters with troubled pasts and wit sharper than a razor blade? Nah, the audience would prefer to hear about national sports and sitting on meatballs because COMEDY.

I'd like to make something clear: most people have not watched all episodes from both versions of the Office, myself included. This is not a problem. The problem is when people who HAVE seen the opposite version or both versions dictate that "you have to watch it all to enjoy it", which is a bit like having a disgusting 5 course meal in anticipation of a dessert that is particularly underwhelming.

I'm sure you get my point. As such, having only watched the Office UK to completion, you may call me biased. But I know what I like. Therefore, as a viewer with an independent mind, I feel underwhelmed when witnessing the comedy presented in the US version. That's not to say I have never laughed at the Office US out of some self-righteous and patriotic view of British TV. The Office US IS FUNNY. The reason I don't find it as funny as the Office UK is because the comedy is presented like a custard pie to the face rather than a witty and snarky comment. The realistic setting to the Office UK makes the heartwarming moments, the sad moments, the pacing and the COMEDY much better, as cringe-worthy as it is. The Office UK has its flaws, but instead of hiding them in the hope more people will like it as bland as possible, it celebrates it (to varying degrees of success). The Office UK is noticeably more vulgar and makes it more off-putting to watch at certain moments (giant inflatable cock moment, anyone?), which the US version manages to keep a lid on most of the time. You can take that as a good thing or a bad thing (as the above comments prove), but this is just my opinion.

No matter your opinion, make sure it is yours. This response is my opinion. The irony I find with these posts is that the American audience would not read all the way to find my opinion in the idea that theirs would be invalidated. WE ARE NOT SPONGES. WE ARE NOT SHEEP. If you have your own opinion, reading someone else's will not change it. That is something the Office UK managed to display without a punchline tacked onto the end.

To end this (stupidly) long comment, I'd like to add that both The Office UK and The Office US were good ideas. Whether they still are good ideas is up to opinion. Remember, "a good idea is a good idea FOREVER". And you know which 'philosopher' said that? David Brent. And people say he's just a sociopathic idiot. *stares at camera*

• Laugh out loud comedy =/= good TV (all the time)

I'm sure you get my point. As such, having only watched the Office UK to completion, you may call me biased. But I know what I like. If I don't like a film or a TV series I turn it off. That's not to say I have never laughed at the Office US out of some self-righteous and patriotic view of British TV. The Office US IS FUNNY. The reason I don't find it as funny as the Office UK is because the comedy is presented like a custard pie to the face rather than a witty and snarky comment. The realistic setting to the Office UK makes the heartwarming moments, the sad moments, the pacing and the COMEDY much better, as cringe-worthy as it is. The Office UK has its flaws, but instead of hiding them in the hope more people will like it as bland as possible, it celebrates it (to varying degrees of success). The Office UK is noticeably more vulgar and makes it more off-putting to watch at certain moments (giant inflatable cock moment, anyone?), which the US version manages to keep a lid on most of the time. You can take that as a good thing or a bad thing (as the above comments prove), but again, this is just my opinion.

• Achingly real, painfully funny.

The British version just feels more real. The characters are more honest so the humor is edgier. It has more surprises and just feels more out of the box. The American version is a glossed over version. Which isn't to say it isn't warm and likeable, it's just not as funny.

• Achingly real, painfully funny.

• The British version is superior in every way

The US remake did a decent job of things, but the UK original is in a totally different league. The UK version broke a lot of rules and redefined TV comedy for the next decade. It wasn't afraid to be dark, or reflect the characters' humanity, and yet the comedy was both excruciating and exhilarating. The US version is kind of just another US sitcom, good as it is. The US version is more like bite-sized nuggets of easy-to-stomach comedy, while the original was a different beast altogether. It's real. And no, I am not an American or Brit. Just an honest observer.

• That is up to the culture....

As a die hard fan of the US version, I would say that it is much better. I have tried watching the original, but I thought it was dreadfully awful. I didn't find it to be humorous at all. On the contrary, I have watched the entire US series many times. I lost count after 10... An English friend of mine loves the original version, but as he put it, the US version is "rubbish". There is a cultural gap.