Is the use of artificial body parts in medical training causing dehumanisation in the medical practice?

Asked by: Neo-Stoic
  • Artificial body parts can not take into account the variety and complexity of individual patients cases. There is no one size fits all in medicine.

While I would not suggest "killing random people" as one person argued in the beginnings of a previous debate, as he had initially misunderstood the question I was posing. I am suggesting that there is a line where practising medical procedure when using artificial body parts does remove an element of what makes medical practice, it applies a correct or incorrect perspective to the medical treatment, when many treatments and procedures do not offer the same clear cut definitions.

I understand that our current medical professionals still find it commonplace to train using cadavers, however they are not always used, as otherwise there would not be a growing market for artificial body parts as training aids. What is your opinion?

• No, unless training were to be limited to their use

I believe these anatomical models have value; they do not make compromise the humanity in medical instruction. I will concede that if physicians instructions were limited to this type of training I would have to consider a "yes" vote. I also see value to a stepped progression where these are initial training tools and practice tools.

• No. Body parts are hard to come by.

I do agree that eventually aspiring doctors need to work on human or human equivalent tissue. Anatomically correct artificial substitutes are probably the best way to start followed by animal counterparts. I agree that the first human a doctor cuts into shouldn't be alive. I am not even sure this is an issue in our medical fields.

• Artificial body parts aren't meant to be perfect or exact training.

In the end, nothing will compare to the real thing. Artificial body parts are used in training to give a pressure/stress free involvement of a procedure. This way they are allowed to analyze, discuss, or question any part of it prior to actual performance alleviating the stress factor. While most doctors will encounter various stressful or time-sensitive situations, this again, allows them to think it out and put to memory helpful tips. These tools are used to lessen the chance of an error occurring, in essence allowing for a more helpful treatment and patient care. I am a pre-med student (while I have not currently had any contact with these instruments) and have heard nothing but good reviews from those who have used them. They have claimed that they are very helpful as visual stimulation in understanding how's, what's, and why's for procesures in a stress free environment. These tools are also reusable, if you mess up, you are able to try again rather than finding a new person/subject. Unfortunately I no longer have time to go further into this. Hopes this helps in understanding why, though I am sure you thought of this before as this is relatively obvious information.

• Its what we humans do best!

Humans are constantly discovering new ways to revolutionize the medical field, and this is no different. It would be like saying a cast for a broken arm, or a back brace is causing "dehumanization" which its not. Artificial body parts are just one of the many "tools" humans have created to help and aid them in things they normally are unable to do and that in my opinion is the most human you can get.