• Politicians still can't be trusted.

I live in a heavily Republican county and I can easily imagine the local politicos coming up with ways to suppress the liberal vote if it wasn't illegal. There are many worse areas than mine, and that is on both sides of the spectrum. Leave well enough alone - we are not a totally color blind society yet.

• This law is still necessary to ensure that everyone has a fair shot at voting.

I don't think we're at a point where there is absolutely zero voter suppression. I think a lot of those tactics still go on and just go unreported. So this law is necessary even today. I wouldn't want to vote in an election that didn't give everyone an equal right to voice their opinion.

• Yes, not everyone has the right to vote.

A Voting Rights Act is necessary as long as there are people out there who want to restrict voters from their right to vote. Republicans, this year alone, have changed laws in order to make lines longer and the guidelines stricter so younger and older voters may not even bother to vote. I believe the voting style should change to online voting that is protected by the best technological minds the government can buy.

• Yes, People Are Still Trying To Restrict Access

Unfortunately, it is still highly important today. Sure, progress has been made since 1960, but there are still people out there trying to restrict access to voting by making the lines longer and the process of registration harder. Sadly, it is all because of partisan politics and trying to engineer an outcome.

Posted by: rpr
  • No, it is not

I do not think that the Voting Rights Act is still needed. When the act was originally passed, America was a very different country from what it is today. As time has passed since then, we have come a long way, and I fail to see why it is still needed.