Is the way that we are teaching subjects in school really the best way to teach to students?

Asked by: Isasune
  • I think in my opinion that although we are smart, the way the knowledge is presented is not adequate for this day and age.

Although what is being taught in school is standard in today's world, the way that we present the knowledge to kids at such an early time of the day and sometimes the way that we present in in class is not the best way that is out there. In Asia the teachers go over a subject multiple times before going on to the next one to ingrain in into the students' heads. In America, we teach one detail on a subject and hope that you get it and then move on to the next. When kids take tests they soon forget what they have learned. The teaching system should be improved and more repetition should be involved.

• No, we're teaching them to be test takers not citizens of society

Many classes I've taken never applied what I'm doing to real world events and jobs. Often enough, if kids can answer it barely, timely, and get good grades on test - next unit! I can do math well on tests and class work, but half of it gets lost in the summer break. Sure, I may lose lots of information gained by the school year, but evidently it never cemented to be with.

• No and in fact, the way schools are teaching now is punishing the innate curiosity of children

It's actually misleading to say whether the teaching is good or not because there are many good teachers that have done their best under many constraints set by schools. What's really wrong is the school system, which the narrow curriculum undermines the diversity of talents that us humans have and which the competition that forms the culture of schools because they believe it is a way to stimulate learning but in fact it does the opposite.

Check out this talk by Sir Ken Robinson if you haven't had already.

• We know this:

There are numerous studies on the matter that show STEM based teaching is generally poor and ineffective no matter the system it's introduced in. There are many studies that show there are far superior ways however their adoption is costly and therefore not implemented outside of private schools who can afford it.