Is there a correlation between a nation's productivity and coffee consumption?

• Wake up and smell the...Work

There is a definite correlation between coffee consumption and productivity. One of the main reasons why people consume coffee in the morning is to feel awake and alert. Using this rationale, an awake and alert workforce will be much more productive than a fatigued and tired workforce. Coffee provides people with a burst of energy,allowing them to hit the ground running in the morning and jumpstart productivity. Most companies install coffee makers in their offices not just for employee "perks" anymore.

• One Nation Under a Buzz

The U.S. Is reliant upon caffeine to sustain and enhance current productivity. Americans do not have the numbers, only certain technology is available, and economic stability weighs down hard on the shoulders of everyday Americans. Consuming caffeinated substances keep Americans going - the semi-daily dose of caffeine allows Americans to function under societal pressure and perform adequately.

**Disclaimer - caffeine is the world's most widely consumed and potent drugs, health consequences include high blood pressure, cardiac arithmea (and other problems), a weakening of the nervous system, stroke, impaired neurological function, and other life threatening things**

• I would not be surprised if there were a correlation between productivity and coffee consumption, due to the caffeine.

A workforce that is addicted to caffeine would indeed have a direct relationship to productivity, especially in the mornings. Other factors, like air-conditioned office jobs and prolonged silences, may have an adverse effect on productivity. But, caffeine consumption would undoubtedly go hand in hand with sustained productivity. Without it, certainly, many businesses would suffer greatly.

Posted by: BrownDustin82
  • While I don't really know of any evidence to support this, I can only assume that more coffee means higher productivity.

It only makes sense that the more coffee people consume, the more they will produce. While over-consumption certainly isn't the answer, I can imagine that a study could prove that administering coffee to those who don't normally drink it might increase their productivity during the day. They drink a lot of coffee in Mexico--think about that.

Posted by: NondescriptKevin
  • There is a correlation, but not a cause and effect relationship, between coffee consumption and productivity, mainly due to being able to afford the coffee.

While there is a correlation between coffee consumption and productivity, it is not a cause-effect relationship, meaning one does not influence the other. As productivity increases, so does income, and people in the workforce, meaning more people will be able to afford coffee, and spend more time at places they would consume coffee.

Posted by: MarriedKelvin72
  • Yes, there is a correlation between a nations productivity and its coffee consumption because coffee is a luxury item and only a productive society could drink large quantities of it.

Coffee does not in itself make better workers, this is a myth. The high a worker would feel would be too short lived to be sustained and a habitual drinker would need more and more coffee to reach that high over time. In fact if anything a coffee drinker becomes unable to work or think without their coffee, and only rise up to a normal productivity level after they have their morning, afternoon, evening and so on coffee. Despite this, how much coffee is drunk is a good sign of how successful a nation is because it is a luxury, especially the fancier blends, and drinking large quantities of it requires a moderately high class society.

Posted by: H_Baird
  • I don't think there is such a correlation, because productivity results from different factors

I think that a nation's productivity has to do with different indicators, like capital, investments, the magnitude and skills of its workforce, as well as the world trade relations in which it participates. If people drink coffee, they may be somehow awake for longer hours since coffee stimulates and gives one more energy. However, this is not enough to increase a nation's production by itself.

Posted by: K Dillard 99
  • Yes, it's possible, it can help people keep going.

I think it's a definite possibility that the consumption of coffee helps productivity in this country. A mid-afternoon cup of coffee can give someone a boost of energy to help them finish what they need to do. Coffee is a stimulant, it gives people more drive, and people can get more done, therefore that can lead to an increase in productivity.

Posted by: PinkMych
  • It could be that coffee is the drink of choice for more productive nations.

Coffee is as important to Americans and productivity as a Protestant work ethic. It is the drug of choice for office workers. It is a legal stimulant. Surely it can give a productivity boost also. Where productivity is an important value coffee may be the resulting preferred beverage of that particular nation. A nation that loves coffee may also take pride in its productivity--and the normalizing process of guzzling down Starbucks before a long and productive workday is hard to deny.

Posted by: R33AIas
  • Yes, coffee and other energy giving drinks are society's human equivalent of gasoline.

Today people are working themselves to death. People need more money now than ever because things they need are so expensive. They have to work harder, and people are tired. Coffee and other energy drinks give them the alertness, and bouts of energy that help people get through their work day. If there were none of these beverages, I believe we would see a lot of people "asleep at the wheel", and not much getting done.

Posted by: Picachu
  • No. The effect of such a small factor would be marginal.

Productivity in terms of national output is influenced by a great deal of factors, the use of stimuli possibly having only an insignificant role compared to other, more important determinants of workforce potential - how about education, access to internet, use of technology?

• No, I do not believe it is possible for a nation's coffee consumption to actually effect its productivity. It's just not that strong.

Although coffee is a stimulant, it is a minor one. There is no way that coffee consumption can actually effect productivity in a great way. For instance, I do not believe that I am more productive on the days that I have an extra cup of coffee. If anything, I am more jittery and less productive.

Posted by: NoisyAlva89
  • I disagree, because not all nations that are productive consume coffee.

Americans love coffee and think it makes them more productive. That may be so in the USA, but Japan is one of the world's most productive nations, and the Chinese economy is also growing massively. However, both of these nations usually drink tea, instead of coffee. Some coffee-drinking nations, for example, in Central America, have much smaller economies and are poor, on the other hand. So, there is no correlation between drinking coffee and being productive.

Posted by: R3yGoobIe
  • No, because coffee consumption has nothing to do with productivity, as is evident in many areas.

I have traveled to many places in the world, and it is not evident at all that the coffee consumption has any relevance to productivity. However in some regions, the opposite seems to be more accurate. Coffee is a luxury item for many people, so being able to have their $6 designer coffee is an indulgence, therefore they must work harder in order to afford that luxury.

Posted by: C0nrKentros
  • A nation's productivity is dependent on many things, not including coffee.

There are many things that can correlate more to a nation's productivity than coffee. For example, education, national customs and culture, and economy have a lot more affect on productivity that coffee consumption.

Posted by: EImerN4th
  • I don't agree that a nations productivity is effected by it's coffee consumption

Coffee gives people a caffeine high and then a crash. I don't think that people get any work done when they come off of their crash. Heavy coffee drinkers are always drinking coffee to just function during the day. It's really a drug caffeine is an additive substance and addicts don't really function highly. I think a nations drive and universal focus on success that makes them more productive.

Posted by: C0ImEIite
  • I believe its the caffeine not the coffee that helps with productivity, but not in every case.

I can think of quite a few pretty productive countries such as Japan, China and the UK which traditionally do not drink much coffee. The British consume endless cups of strong caffeinated tea, and the Japanese and Chinese always have strong caffeinated green tea on their desks. Then again the Italians and French drink really strong espresso drinks but are not known for working the longest hours in the world. I think individually caffeine can boost productivity but the nation as a whole has its own work ethic which will not be affected by the population's propensity to consume caffeine.

Posted by: Chr0Iviobile
  • Unless you are looking at a converse correlation there isn't.

If you take coffee away from people they can learn to actually produce on their own. Instead of using artificial means to create enough energy to do their work and be productive it would be natural means. Should we be shooting up with steroids to improve our muscle building in exercise? No and we shouldn't use coffee to produce, because it has negative consequences and I believe that it actually decreases productivity.

Posted by: MariaR
  • There is no correlation between a nation's productivity and coffee consumption because the two are unrelated

There is no correlation between a nation's productivity levels and worker coffee consumption levels. However, there is greater correlation between higher pay and more satisfaction with one's work environment, that is linked to higher productivity. Coffee drinking does not necessarily go hand in hand with better productivity. Yes, it may make someone more alert, but that does not necessarily imply that the value of their work is somehow better than a non-coffee drinker.

Posted by: SandDari
  • I believe there is no correlation between coffee consumption and a nation's productivity.

While it is true that coffee consumption may temporarily increase productivity, it is highly unlikely that a nation's productivity can be attributed to it. Nations such as Japan certainly consume significant amounts of caffeine (not solely in the form of coffee), yet their productivity stems not from the caffeine consumption but from a cultural imperative to work as efficiently as possible.

Posted by: barbz129