Is there a difference between Atheism and being Anti Religion?

Asked by: Muhly
  • Yeah obviously there is

A person canbe an Athiest and respect the views and beliefs of a religious person and vice versa. Just because someone has different beliefs than you diednt mean they are against you or you should fear them. Thats the kind if ignorance that gives way to violence which is why some say religion is the root of all issues when its really fear and ignorance of something different and unfamiliar that scares you. If it wasnt religion it would be somethig else. So yes, there is a difference. Athiests and religious folk can be buddies with respect and acceptance of one anothers beliefs and have a diologue and discuss each others fear to reduce all that ignorance. And no one has to force their beliefs down anyones throat.

• Duh dude... Word

Anti religious people can still believe in god while no atheist can believe in god. If one believe in god they are a theist. So atheists cant be theists while anti religious people can be. One may say theres no difference in gods eyes meaning no difference in how bad they are. Then with this way in mind one might argue that they arent different but the definitions of the words are different so this is a no brainer they are different. Unless you are thinking they are no different in gods eyes. And i could argue that god is all knowing and he will see it in more way than one as we should and would in a perfect world and he would see what you should see first the difference between definitions. They are different things so you should be more specific as to how they are the same to avoid looking like an idiot. Oops too late. Lol fyg

• As neither I think yes

From my observation it seams that there is. Many Atheist seem content letting people think what they want while others display some of the same behaviors that religious people do in trying to aggressively recruit others and bashing religions. To put this in perspective actively trying to disprove other religions would be socially unacceptable if done by a Christian, Muslim or another religion. I do realize that Atheist do not consider it a religion but I do see many behaviors that are associated with religion and I think there are people who are simply Anti Religion as opposed to just being Atheist

• "Anti-religion" is defined as being against religion, while atheism is simply not believing in a higher power or deity.

If one is anti-religion, it means they are actively against religion. It doesn't mean they don't have a religion or don't believe in a god; rather, it means that they dislike or are opposed to the practice of organized religion. Contrary to that, atheists (at least some, anyway) do not believe that religion is bad or are against it; they simply do not believe that a higher power exists.

• Why, of course.

Atheists, such as myself, often do not care about what other people believe. Of course, we may have an aversion for being told that people are 'concerned' about us and that they need to make us change our minds as they have great 'concern' for all the 'unsaved.' This is forcing your beliefs on other people and is simply not necessary. That does not mean that I will go out knocking on people's doors and ask them if they're religious and then give them a list of reasons why I'm not. What you do or don't believe in should be a private thing, not something you shove down other peoples throats. Thus, atheism isn't 'anti-religion' because that suggests hostility when, often, there is none, or at least none on the side of the atheists.

• By definition, it appears so

'Anti religion' is defined as the opposition to religion. Antireligion is distinct from atheism (the absence of a belief in deities) and antitheism (an opposition to belief in deities), although antireligionists may be atheists or antitheists.

Whereas 'Athiesm' is defined as disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Anti religious people can be anti religion as a concept but still be theists, believing in Gods or they can be atheists as well as anti religion/ous.

Atheists aren't necessarily against religion, they can be, but that isn't a requirement in order to be deemed an atheist. Atheists simply just do not believe in God/Gods or follow a religion.

• No because atheism is a worldview

Atheism is a worldview and a religion. It is a stance that the world should be in accordance with how the atheist prophets discuss. Atheism also is naturally against anything that Christianity supports. The reason, like any other religion, is that they want to increase their numbers, and if they have political and cultural control over a society, they can get more people to join atheism.

• Generally I would say no

Those who are active in their atheism often are anti religion as well. They cite atheism as the lack of belief variety but many do this to remove any burden of proof, and will strongly assert scientism.

Many seem to want the traditional atheism which denies the existence of a god, but often will compare a fairy to a god

As it may be obvious I'm not a fan of this position as I think it's a disingenuous one.

• Generally no although I'm sure there are some

Many seem to want the traditional atheism which denies the existence of a god, but often will compare a fairy to a god and consider to the inability to disprove a negative as a worthwhile. Foundation

As it is probably obvious I'm not a fan of this position as I think it's a disingenuous one.