Is there a Divine Being who Created the Universe?

Asked by: xcrunner1211
  • It is more likely that there is a God than not.

To start, I am a Christian. I am not, however, one of the Christians who will use the Bible to prove my points. I will use Science to attempt to convince and Logic to attempt to prove that it is more likely that there is a God than not. Now, my first point should be pretty straight forward. The fact that the universe exists is proof in and of itself that there is a God. An atheists response may be "What about the Big Bang Theory?" I will explain the Big Bang Theory. Many scientists believe that there was nothing in the universe until a spontaneous eruption caused everything in the universe to form. One small problem: There was nothing. So how could a reaction occur? Reactions can not occur without anything to start them. That by itself should be enough to show that there must be a divine being who created the universe. In fact, I believe that a "Big Bang" would be a very viable theory for how the universe was created, but a divine being would have created it. The leading theory that atheists use to justify there not being a divine being seems to point to there, in fact, being a divine being. I'm sure I will receive many responses either saying something about the Big Bang theory or another theory as to how Christianity is impossible, and I welcome the opportunity to rebuttal them. Again, I am not here to quote Bible verses at you. I never was the kind of person who could put blind faith in anything. I simply wish to show you that it is absurdly probable that there is some form of divine being. As to whether the Christian God is that divine being, that is a debate that I hope to bring up in a later opinion.

• I am a christian...

As a christian i believe that a single great being known as god, created the heavens the earth and all the creatures on the planet including the dinosaurs, in 7 days; well technically 6 days because the 7th day he rested. And after that humans sinned and were left to wander the earth and then jesus died for our sins and whosoever believes in jesus will not perish but have eternal life.

• The universe is expanding

Since the Universe is expanding it was therefore created from a small point. Since matter cannot be destroyed or created by our laws therefore some higher power must have been involved in creating the universe whose power is above what we know.

Whether this higher power cares about us or is involved with us at all is a whole other debate but it's clear the Universe was created by something that we don't understand.

• Yes, I believe there is

When I philosophize about life, I can't help including God in the equation due to the sheer absurdity of his non-existence. The fact that 1) animate life exists, 2) consciousness exists, 3) a world with perfect living conditions exists, and 4) a moral standards exists is all evidence to me. In my view, this reality could not have been possible without an intelligence to design it. The existence of life implies purpose, but existential nihilism, which is coupled with the absence if God, contradicts that. I simply can't buy that, as it doesn't fit my view of life.

• Look to the Quran

The Quran mentions that the Earth and the Heavens were once a single entity and that Allah (swt) split the two (as in the black hole where everything was condensed and later split). How a book written before black holes were even thought of contained a part about the Big Bang Theory is clear evidence of God.

• Yes there is.

Quentin Smith, an atheist philosopher, writes,
    The response of atheists and agnostics to this development has been comparatively weak, indeed almost invisible. An uncomfortable silence seems to be the rule when the issue arises among non-believers . . . . The reason for the embarrassment of non-theists is not hard to find. Anthony Kenny suggests it in this statement: ‘A proponent of [the Big Bang] theory, at least if he is an atheist, must believe that the matter of the universe came from nothing and by nothing.’
    No such difficulty confronts the Christian theist, since the big Bang theory only confirms what he has always believed: that in the beginning God created the universe. Now I put it to you: which is more plausible: that the Christian theist is right or that the universe popped into being uncaused out of nothing?

• Yes there is

The fact that we are here is enough proof of a divine, just because you cant see something it doesn't mean its not true. You are a living human but you wont deny that you had great parents because your very existence shows that you had ancestors. Now the fact that everything in the universe exist shows that there must be a divine, this my analogy on a large scale. The leading atheist Kraus got flawed in a debate about the reality and existence of god by Hamza Tzortis.

• Where is the Proof?

Someone such as myself who will only believe things with proof to back the theories up, I lean towards the negative side. I know it's an argument used a lot in the 2000 year old debate, but there is no solid evidence of a God.

To rebut what some of the Affirmative side say, we live in a perfect world, i.e. perfect distance from the sun to sustain life. However think about it, the only reason we are here is because it is perfect!! Other plants don't have any life, because the environment is too harsh.

• The amazing complexity

The complexity of life is so astounding, the average human mind (including myself) cannot truly conceive it. The human body is absolutely mind-blowing, the way the cells, tissues, organs, and everything all function. DNA is the mechanical coding of life, and when there is a code, there is a creator. There are many cosmic things that happen in space, such as nebulae that look like things on Earth. There is one that looks freakishly like the human eye, and one that looks like a butterfly. Clearly there is a divine being who creates these patterns in nature. After seeing a shaman and learning about astrology, biology, and spirituality, I have concluded that there is no way these amazing synchronicities and complexities just happen without a divine intelligence

• There probably is

I think there is a god because I am a Christian, but also God could literally be anything. What created the universe is God, God could be a big bang, God could have created the Big bang, God is something that we cannot perceive. God is neither he or she and perhaps God is not a solid being. The concept of God is not defined.

• No, There is not.

Reading through the other comments, the amount of ignorance and logical fallacies make me cringe.

The people on the "yes" side of this debate clearly have no idea how the Big Bang theory works, and this is coming from a freshman. The singularity was an extremely dense area of matter that eventually EXPANDED (not exploded) into the universe that we live in today.
    Too many Creationists use the God of the Gaps fallacy here, which is essentially saying, "Since we don't know where it came from, it must have been God!". Just because we don't know where it came from yet, doesn't mean it was some divine intervention.

There is lots of evidence supporting the Big Bang. Redshift (moving galaxies), Microwave Background Radiation, mixture of elements, etc etc. I'll dive deeper into those, because some may not know what it is. Redshift of Galaxies is essentially stating that all galaxies are moving away from each other. Meaning that at one point in history, they were all squashed into a single point (the singularity). Background Radiation is energy that was left behind from the Big Bang. We have measured it accurately using orbiting detectors. The mixture of elements is pretty self explanatory.

Many ask, "Where did the singularity come from?" Well the fact of the matter is, we don't know. However, we will keep searching until we find out, and then some. That's the beauty of science. I, for one, like to think it came from a collapsed universe that was crushed by its own gravitational force to create the singularity that made our universe. Unfortunately I'm not sure how well that will hold up scientifically.

I encourage people to either correct me, or come at me with conflicting arguments AS LONG AS IT'S IN A RESPECTFUL MANNER. I'm not a Cosmologist or a Physicist or anything like that, so there's always room for new knowledge.

• Nope. No divine being has been demonstrated, so we have no reason to believe that a divine being created the universe.

The origins of our universe trace back to quantum fluctuations as indicated by thermal variations in the cosmic microwave background radiation which are directly proportional to the variations in quantum fluctuations. So, quantum fluctuations-->big bang. Time started at the big bang, and there is no indication of time for there to have been a creation. The universe was EXPRESSED from quantum fluctuations. None of this points to divinity.

• There needs to be evidence.

At no time is it healthy to just say that a god did it. For nearly every problem we did that to before, we now know the answers. That track record alone should stop any credibility to the idea of a divine creator. Science will find the answer, and it probably won't be a god.

• I'm a christian, but there's other possible theories.

I think there could be a divine being that created the universe, but if you look around there are many other explanations for the Big Bang. For example, a theory that the universes are going in a circular cycle. Another possible theory is that when a universe dies, it leaves behind a small amount of matter, from which the next Big Bang happens. The fact of the matter is, other theories exist, and a divine being creating the universe has no more evidence than any of those theories.

• God is even more complex than the universe!

If you ask the question, what created the complex universe and you answer "a divine being", then this "being" will have to be even more complex. Then the question is who created the divine being? We just keep going round in circles. The answer will not be in God but rational science. The multiverse theory is one of the most convincing - check it out

• There is no real proof.

I am agnostic, basically you can not prove to me that there is a god, nor can your prove to me that there is not a god. There can not of been a divine being that created everything, because it would of already existed for it to create everything. There much more proof that the Big Bang theory caused such event. In Fact, there is infinite more proof, as there is no proof of a divine being existing in the first place.

• 50/50 means 50/50

Since all the people reading this I'm assuming don't know for 100%, and I can assume this because if your reading this, you do not possess cognitive abilities that I do not, then it's a 50/50 chance either way. Trying to debate is pointless considering we simply do not have the information available to us to make such a affirmation.

• The fact that science gets so much wrong should be proof that there is not.

Science is notorious for correcting itself. But that's what makes it so much more accurate than any creation story. Science looks at what we can observe. It looks at what people thought in the past, and builds on it.

A few thousand years ago, we didn't have much to go on. Someone coming along with a big story that explained everything would have seemed like a pretty good bet. But now we know that it isn't. New data is discovered every day that teaches us new things about our universe.

Everything that exists in the world of science can be traced back, built upon and analysed. Religion just throws a bunch of statements at you and tells you to believe it.

Why is this even an argument anymore? When will people realize that the only reason they believe any of this nonsense is because their parents/guardians taught them it?

• We don't know everything.

To prove anything one must provide evidence for that statement. Many use what we do not know as proof for the existence of a divine being and this is just stupid. It is comparable to saying that because you (in 2000 BC) do not know where lightning comes from that this is enough proof for the existence of Zeus.

• Turtles all the way down.

Don't panic all you god people. No matter how far science moves our understanding of how we, all this, came into being you can always move your belief to the front of the line. Because belief has no bounds the imagination cannot overcome. That itch inside your skull will not be dulled by facts, explanations for creation other than ''divine being'' bubble your brains. That's okay, but please try not to explain how belief trumps science because you just say so.