Is there a good reason why marijuana is illegal and alcohol and tobacco are legal?

Asked by: krantz
  • The time period these substances became 'mainstream'

If alcohol and tobacco were introduced into the world today, they would most likely be illegal. If not illegal there would be many restrictions on it. Therefore it can be determined that these became acceptable and legal is because they were introduced into major civilizations as acceptable. Yes, marijuana does as much harm as both of these substances but it does not have the history as the others. It has become part of social norm to drink and smoke, only now are people beginning to target these harmful substances. The reason that marijuana is illegal today and alcohol and tobacco isn't is because alcohol and tobacco has been driven into society as normal due to its long history.

• Pot is still considered a drug

I think a very good reason why marijuana is illegal, as opposed to alcohol and tobacco products being legal, is marijuana is still classified as a "gateway drug". It has the same effects of a drug, and it involves the term "high", which is also used in relation to other drugs.

• Health Risks are the same

If the health risks for tobacco, alcohol, and marijuana are atilt similar to each other, then why are just two of those substances legal. The federal government must have something against marijuana itself because state government are getting by legalizing the drug by themselves. The prohibition of marijuana must be stopped.

• So much better for every purpose than alcohol

You ever drank alcohol for the less than resonable effort of pain relief? Note how many of you probably felt like trash the next morning and if you decide to quit you'll probably have a fever and shake like he'll because of it. That's all legal and dandy and the damage makes your liver never the same again. You'll likely fail at quitting cigarettes or alcohol the first several times also. I've given up Marijuana for years at a time. I have a extremely addictive personality. Alcohol and tobacco have destroyed me over years of abuse. As a sense of pleasure it's far better than tobacco. It effectively replaces both for some people. I don't see any valid reason it shouldnt be held as a responsible use substance like alcohol or tobacco. They are far more negative than anything I've seen weed do.

• The Government is controlled by ASSHOLE.

It's a good reason! DERPDERPHYUKHYUKLYOOLHYUKDERP DERPDERPHYUKHYUKLYOOLHYUKDERP g g t g gy y yt h h h j j u un h h j u u u u u has g y g j j k jnj j i j j. J j j. J j j. K i j. J j j j j j j j j j j j j j j

• Pot makes you dumb

Smoked the marijuanas twice. First time was good. Second time was the single worst experience of my life. My friend is addicted and is in denial. He needs help so all of you jackasses stop trying to say that this bullshit drug should be legal and face the facts. HELP

• The Government will fuck up my weed

The last thing I want is our federal government sticking their dirty dicks into my stash. I trust my local drug dealer far more than any politician. If it was federally legal, they would fill it with additives and toxins just like tobacco and almost all medicinal benefits would be lost. Decriminalize it but leave the distribution to the streets.

• Big business and government

William Anslinger and Randolph Hearst. Reefer madness propaganda and the fear and hatred of blacks and Latinos are some of the reasons cannabis is illegal. Ignorance and politicans who bow to lobbyists. There is no doubt cannabis far safer than alcohol. The fact there are 4 remaining federal patients from 1979 that receive federal cannabis

• Alcohol and Economics 101

Alcohol is a part of the beverage industry. They have lobbyists. The public perception of alcohol is that what could be wrong with a beer or glass of wine or shot of tequila once in a while? The two marry up and what do you get? Alcohol is legal. The form of the administration of each drug is different. Alcohol can be sipped or gulped and marijuana is smoked. Alcohol has been more socially accepted for a longer time. However as far as economics goes I will also say this: I think they make more money off of illegal drugs than legalized drugs. They both i,pair your judgment. They both have advantages or benefits and disadvantages or costs.

• Pure Nonsense. Period!

There is a historical side to it as well. Marijuana was something that was tied to the Jazz scene and used mostly by Afro Americans. Alcohol was always a "white man's pleasure". Mix that fact with racism and the desire to keep blacks in chains and viola! Got your answer!

Posted by: Muzz
  • Legalize marijuana now

It is a plant. It should be labeled, regulated and taxed and let the public have the CHOICE to use or not used like cigarettes. Farmer could go back to growing a plant. Increased income from taxes. Save American millions being used for law enforcement. It makes no sense to me why it is illegal.

• Marijuana is a lot healthier then alcohol.

Marijuana does not make people violent or sick, therefore alcohol kills many people every year. You can OD from alcohol abuse and not from marijuana, you can get massive hangover from alcohol and NOT from marijuana. Why would you lie about democracy when people want weed and you give them poison?!

• We have a Corrupt Government

The only reason marijuanna is a schedule 1 drug is because of how easily it can be grown. This would make it hard to tax so they just make it illegal. Alcohol is a lot harder to make there is a larger process such as the growing and fermintation also its dangerous making alcohol you could mess up one of the processes and give yourself alcohol poisoning.

• I honestly don't see why there's a good medical reason to ban it compared to the other two.

I'm not a gung-ho supporter of marijuana -- using it too much is obviously not going to be a great thing and using it before driving is dangerous, but I fail to see why it should be viewed as more dangerous than tobacco or alcohol. If it was legal, maybe people who would use the riskier tobacco or alcohol would smoke more pot instead without worrying about the law.

I heard an argument about it not being easier for the government to tax compared to tobacco and alcohol so maybe that might have something to do with this, but surely something could be found to solve that issue? I mean if pot is legal and people can buy it at convenience stores, would they really bother growing it on their own? Isn't that why making moonshine on your own and selling it is illegal, because the government can't tax it?

• FDA has patent

There are patents granted for the CBD component of Cannabis. The Gutenberg bible is written on Hemp. Our 1st two drafts of our constitution is written on hemp. You can't legalize or make illegal Marijuana which is a state of being you can get with mescaline, peyote, medicinal cannabis, and meditation. Anslanger failed with alcohol prohibition and chose to chase something else to fund his department. He said a five year study by 31 doctors and scientists (La Guardia Report) was "unscientific" and he wasn't even a scientist to judge. The 1938 Popular Mechanics had an issue on the next billion dollar crop which could have had bio-degradable plastic and hemp oil gasoline burned with CO2 as exhaust vs smoke and what from petroleum. Most medicine at the turn of 1900 had cannabis as part of the medicine. Natural not synthetic (which kicks vitamins and minerals out of your body). And growing hemp makes the soil better able to support other crops!

• No reason at all

Marijauna although beleieved detrimental to many it is not harmful more than any other thing like coffe its medical uses outweigh its negative uses alone however we can just grow it there is no way the government cannot tax it leaving no profit to be gained...
    It is not bad at all I love it 90 percent of America cannot be wrong

• No good reason...

Nope, there is no good reason why alcohol and tobacco are legal and marijuana is illegal. Alcohol and tobacco have been proven to alter your health and cause death while the results have not been concluded on health issues related to marijuana. Marijuana could be taxed just the same to bring the state/governments' revenue. So what is the problem?

• No, not other than kickbacks.

I see no more harm in marijuana use than I do in alcohol and tobacco use. In fact, I believe that alcohol is much more destructive and addictive. The only reason I can think of for marijuana continuing to be illegal is that some people (government related) must be getting kickbacks because that is the case.

• Not really. But...

No, but there isn't a great reason for tobacco either. Alcohol, well, I don't drink it myself, but in moderation it is ok.
    This person seemed to make a good point:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100404233640AAlaV9o
    It basically says that if the government bans alcohol, then it will lose a lot of it's tax money.

Anonymous says2013-07-13T14:18:03.093
Killing an MP who is opposed against legalisation of cannabis is a good start (their war, our war)