Is there a higher power that created the universe and oversees it?

• Yes.

Science has to break every single law of physics, from entropy to angular momentum to angular momentum, the laws of thermodynamics, etc (ad infinitum) ... to believe that this universe is a matter of "chance" (which is only a less-than-mathematical way to express the IGNORANCE of a probability, not a force in itself). Additionally, it breaks philosophical standards in presenting an argument of "the universe created itself" when something cannot exist before it existed. It all goes back to "an uncaused cause", philosophically. To propose that "science" can prove anything else is absurd and ignorant. Like religions (however ridiculous), the theories behind evolution, existentialism, the big bang, etc are truly taken on FAITH that despite all reason, their theory is true.

• Yes, I believe God is real because how else could we be here? And dont you even dare say by science.

Scientists believe that we all came from cells that evolved into organisms that then created oxygen and all these other qualities of the Earth. But, ask yourself this, don't think about your religion or belief just think for a second. If the Earth came from a cell, who created that cell? That cell cannot just make itself out of nothing, it had to come from somewhere. Someone had to create science for you to be able to study it. So, someone had to create that cell so it could grow and form into the Earth. "Something cannot come from nothing." Think about that saying for a moment. "Something cannot come from nothing." This is common sense people so just because you don't want to believe it does not mean that it s not real. Because it is and how could it not be real. You have no exact proof that the earth evolves and you have no proof that it came from a cell. But if that's what you believe then believe that, I don't care. But how could that cell be there without someone not creating it. Think about it. What else could it be, definitely not science.

• Preponderance of evidence...

Life was not created by us. We didn't create ourselves. We learn from other creatures we see here. The massive complexity and variety of species with unique functions all illuminate a force with quite an imagination and thirst for competition and survival. Plants are living but have no brains. They seem to just be plugged directly into the higher powers outlet. We animals as well as plants all share a same commonality, thirst for survival and reproduction as if a Higher Power were directly living through us all. It's very clear there's a Higher Power! Us humans share 98% the same DNA.

• A Higher Power Exists; but only to those who believe

I am 15 and quite young to even explain what I'm saying but I am going to try. I believe a higher power does exist, not necessarily God or anything (although I am a Catholic). Human beings physically are just too perfect to have come about just merely by coincidence, especially the human brain and all feelings and emotions related with it. Making statements like "God exists" or "God doesn't exist" is completely ignorant to state, there is so much of this universe that we do not know for us to even begin to try to make an educated statement like that. I, although personally do believe that there is a higher power. There are just too many accounts of spiritual encounters with God for me to think otherwise. If you notice these stories only happen to God's most faithful followers so I wouldn't expect them to happen to someone claiming "God doesn't exist."

• Beauty and us.

If we are mere humans formed here for no reason whatsoever, then why are we here? To procreate? So you think that we're just here because of science? Then why would flowers grow out of the ground? Why would there be beautiful trees and fruits growing from them? Why do our brains experience beauty and love if we're only here to procreate? The big bang theory? Where did those planets come from? How did space get here, and galaxies? Did they all form from nothing? Something being a higher power helped. We cannot even fathom these powers but they obviously exist.

• The Big Bang Theory

I believe in the big bang theory. But how were the planets and stars etc created before the big bang? Someone or something had to do it. I don't think it was just gases and rock formations over time, I believe someone had to do it, as we call him god. Because it doesn't make sense. If god wasn't real, then there would be no gases, rock or any type of element that make planets now. God created these elements, what makes our universe now. This is what i think!

• Does God exist? The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today.

There's a God that created this world and still to this day oversees it. The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life. Much of life may seem uncertain, but look at what we can count on day after day: gravity remains consistent, a hot cup of coffee left on a counter will get cold, the earth rotates in the same 24 hours, and the speed of light doesn't change -- on earth or in galaxies far from us.

How is it that we can identify laws of nature that never change? Why is the universe so orderly, so reliable? there's no other explanation. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life"

• I believe there is.

I believe that there is a higher power that oversee us humans and acknowledges what we do everyday. Living life finding out how we respond to the facts of good and bad. Seeing if we can overcome the obstacles that fall our way but I don't believe the higher power is doing anything that would harm us or help us to a degree that would be to noticeable. Just to watch over us and to see if we can do things on our own just how a child grows up and learn to do things on their own without having to have assistance everytime. A test for humanity to see if we will be completely corrupted(finding easy way out methods through lies and deceit) or not, to see if we have the will to fight through pain and suffering, to seeing if we as humans can find our purpose to live our life that we are given, to hear our faiths and beliefs we follow and see them taken into action through our words. More like to study upon human behavior. We all have something that makes us different and responsive to things. There is so many of us and so many choices that differs than having a common choice. We might be considered unique creatures along with the rest of the unknown. Even if our life maybe short lived we are shown to have a really strong impact on how we reacted in life whether we enjoyed it, hated it, or a little of both.

• There's just no other answer but god.

It is well known that nothing can be, without being created. So I ask you this, first where did cells come from? Secondly, how does a cell, with no brain or thought, create plants that create oxygen, and animals including humans that breathe that air? Science just needs to face that god created everything, and that there are just some things they will never understand.

• The Kalam Argument

is a logic path that can be traced to Islamic theologians. Basically 1. Everything that begins to exists has something that caused it to exist. Nobody denies this (we don't worry that a random horse appears in our room). Then 2. The universe has a beginning (i.e. the Big Bang). More and more evidence is supporting the Big Bang. Finally 3. Therefore, the universe has something that caused it to exist.

• Of course there isn't!!!

If there were SOME kind of higher power up above, wouldn't astronauts have to pass through it? (In response to dave_12) No science or higher power created us, it was found by accident that life could be created from nothing, GOOGLE THAT CRAP!
    All in all, no higher power could be possible.

• I don't believe that there is a higher power that created the universe, because the phenomena can be explained by science.

I don't believe a higher power created the universe. Much of the phenomena that we see and study can be explained by science. Evolution can be backed by science, whereas there is no scientific evidence of a higher power. How objects in the universe are created and interact can be explained by science. And, if there was a higher power, it seems to have no concern that humans may be on the path to destruction. So, in theory, even if there were a higher being, it doesn't seem concerned about what happens to us.

Posted by: TellingWalker59
  • I find this really hard to believe; the Scientific theory of the creation of the universe sounds more logical to me.

I'm not an atheist or a non believer of religion. But I do find it hard to believe that one person created the universe and is over looking it. I don't knock on others for believing this nor do I argue the theory. The Scientific theory of the creation of the universe sounds more logical to me.

Posted by: AheadYoung
  • Speaking only from a purely scientific viewpoint, it can not be completely proved nor disproved that a higher power exists.

Science requires observable, reproducible evidence that backs up a stated hypothesis. If experimentation does not fit the results, further investigation must discover why, and the hypothesis must be changed accordingly, until reproducible, understood results occur. It is impossible to use the scientific method to discover beyond a shadow of a doubt that a "higher power" exists. By that same token, science can not prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that something that meets the definition of a "higher power" either. To proclaim that God(s) exist or that it is impossible for God(s) to exist belongs solely in the realm of pure faith.

Posted by: MagicalRodrigo30
  • There is no higher power overseeing the universe, and that belief is only caused by human hubris and human insecurity.

It is a combination of human hubris and human insecurity that leads to the belief that a higher power created the universe and oversees it. Hubris, because it is folly to assume that we could have any understanding of a sentient being capable of creating and managing a universe. It follows, then, that we have no basis for deducing the existence of such a being from our own knowledge of the universe. Those who are insecure with the notion that the universe might simply exist with no deliberate purpose have conceived of an all-powerful being. That such a being is a human creation is rather obvious. Believers in this being tell us that the vast universe was created, so that humans could be brought forth.

Posted by: LuciaL
  • I don't believe in a higher power because there is no evidence of one.

The only evidence we have supporting that there is a higher power is a variety of human-authored texts, all of which have clear inconsistencies and which conflict with each other. Science has found no hard evidence either for or against there being a higher power. There are gaps in science, but there have always been things that our current understanding of science does not allow us to understand yet. As science advances, we eventually will understand these things. In the meantime, there's no need to attribute this lack of knowledge to some divine power.

Posted by: NoIanP4P3r
  • No there is not a higher power that created the universe and oversees it because science was to blame for this universe.

I believe that there is no higher power that created the universe and oversees it. This is simply because the combination of atoms in outer space got together and made the universe we know today. Only religious people would believe this theory but science has already proved it but people still keep on believing in something that created the universe and whatnot.

Posted by: N34rIyGaIv
  • Yes, and its called by many names ' nature, the universe, god "

...But let me just stop there because after all we really dont know anything for sure.

All you and i know is told to us through films, music, stories and words of others.

I dont even really know if there is anything beyond our sky.

For all we know, we could be the pets of higher being overseers. Ever had a dream that felt so real you were sure it was ...Well how do we know this isnt our own creation.

I know nothing absolutely, but I and you are free to believe whatever we want.

I find it very unsettling to realise that nothing is absolutely true, everything is relatively true, all things are permitted and anything is possible, at first i thought my discovery was freeing, but actually its very upsetting.

• Incompetent Higher Power

If there is a higher power, this power is cruel and incompetent to have so many helpless people suffer from conception through to early death or illness through faulty designs. Why would they allow these devastating illnesses, poverty , emotional and mental health, without intervening to assist and cure this.

• No Way Hozay

There is no greater being. It is because it cannot exist no where. Religion is a curtain to hide behind and gives ignorant people a feeling of protection. It is wishful thinking and
    gives a straight 'answer' to everything in the universe, except the universe is vast and undiscovered so should not have stories made up about it. We should be getting out there and exploring beyond our previous capabilities.