• Minimum wage should be comparable to a living wage.

I work two jobs and my husband works full time with a family of three. Both my husband and I have Bachelors Degree. My employment has been a struggle due to multiple chronic health problems. I work for a community action agency and McDonald's. Many Working Americans are forced to work second jobs and still qualify for public assistance. Recipients of public assistance are unable to save money for retirement or unexpected expenses. My husband and I don't have savings and are struggling to improve the condition of our home mainly due to student loan debt. If minimum wage and employment compensation are not addressed our social service system will collapse under the demand. Working multiple jobs prevents acces to that job for someone else who may need it. Lastly and most importantly families don't have time to spend together and raise their children with the consistency and love their children need.

• It is the ethical way

Everyone who wants an equal opportunity should get one. Corporations need to care more about their works, which they don't very much. The government should make sure that hard working citizens get the amount of money that they deserve, which includes a cashier at McDonalds's or a worker at Walmart.

• It is immoral to not have a high minimum wage

Living in America, I notice that minimum wage for many, even those who work extreme hours doing extreme work, get paid less than a living wage. Is this really anyone's definition of morality? As a Socialist, I believe that all should have a wage high enough to have a good standard of living. Many complain that doing this will cause inflation or they will bring up the question "Where do you get all the money?" The answer is simple: the rich. I am not advocating for complete wealth distribution, but the CEOs who do nothing but supervise the people doing the real work should not make tens, if not hundreds, of times more money than those "below" them. If the heads of corporations was to profit, fine, but we should tax this much of this profit and then have the CEOs divide fairly and add it to their worker's wage. This will ensure that everyone who actually works can make a wage that they can live on and not invoke inflation. This is simply common decency, which is the basis for morality.

• The minimum wage is already vastly under what it should be

People have complained about the disruptions caused by the Occupy Movement. Personally, I did not take part, but I understand their reasoning. People are already paid too little! Adjusted for inflation, the minimum wage now should be well above 10$. Plus, CEO's and the upper management take millions in wages, is a few thousand going to hurt anyone? The few thousand could make a world of difference to the poor. They tried this tactic in the 1940's to 1970's and it was the most prosperous era in America's history. Higher wages means more consumption which means more profits which means higher wages. It's that simple. Give the poor decent living conditions and raise the minimum wage!

• It makes moral and financial sense.

If CEOs of major corporations can rake in millions of dollars in bonuses, why can't the people who actually do all the back-breaking work for the least amount of pay have a better standard of economic life as well? Without them, those captains of industry wouldn't have any real accomplishments to speak of. It's basic decency, which is the most moral argument possible for anything, including raising the minimum wage.

• Tthere is not a moral case for higher minimum wage.

Minimum wage workers are asking for too much. They want the minimum wage to increase by over 100 percent. Management is never going to allow this. The workers should not get more money for the same amount of work. If they want more money, they should find a job that pays better.

• Increased Minimum Wages Means Inflation

Increasing the minimum wage does nothing to actually increase the standard of living for the people earning it. This action serves only to increase prices across the board. Maintaining the minimum wage and offering education incentives would be far more effective than increasing the minimum wage. This is a very basic economic principle.

• People are paid what the market demands.

When supply is high then jobs hourly wages should be lowered as what happened after the 2008 financial crisis and vice versa when supply is low then the jobs should pay more. The current market has 10.8% U-6 unemployment meaning there is still a huge supply glut for low-skilled jobs therefore wages should reflect the supply glut and remain low. High skilled jobs like big data programming are in low supply so starting salaries reflect the low supply with average starting wages around $100k/yr. There is no moral imperative in financial affairs only supply and demand.
    I don't think someone working at a fast food joint handing out bags of heart attacks should get paid $5 per hour let alone $15 an hour. It's immoral to give people the 'food' in the first place; negligent homicide is a crime, no?

• Trolling again I see

What is it with these McDonald's questions? I mean seriously? There should be a ban on the amount of McDonald's questions. This "minimum wage" is another excuse to sneak in a McDonald's-related question. If it was so about minimum wage, what about posting factory work or something like that, which is more important.